rip apart this "F" addendum.....

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ocplaytime

rip apart this "F" addendum.....

Postby ocplaytime » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:19 pm

1st draft... too long?

This addendum is in regards my failing grade in American Sign Language 1 taken in Fall 2005 at ___ community college. I enrolled in this college course as a Junior in highschool and unfortunately, due to personal circumstances outlined in my personal statement, I was forced to withdraw from the course. Regrettebly, due to counseling errors as well as my own inexperience, the course was only dropped from my highschool schedule, and left untouched in my college schedule at the time. Upon learning of this disaster once I had transferred to (****comm college), I applied and successfuly qualifed for Academic Renewal for this specific course. Additionaly, I retook this course in the Spring 2009 semester, receiving a "B" grade.

JD2014

Re: rip apart this "F" addendum.....

Postby JD2014 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:49 pm

Way too long. You got an F in a county college course you took while you were a junior in high school. How much attention do you really want to call to this? If you really want to write an addendum for this, keep it under four sentences.

"I enrolled in a sign language course at X College while attending high school in the fall of 2005. Due to an administrative error while dropping the course, it was not removed from my course load and I received a failing grade. I retook the course in 2009, and lived happily ever after."

Seriously though, you got one F in a sign language course when you were 16. At a minimum, don't use the word disaster.

Montevillian

Postby Montevillian » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:08 pm

When you shorten this addendum, make sure you spell "regrettably" correctly. You don't want an addendum for your addendum. :wink:

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:55 pm

How bad is your gpa that you feel the need to write an addendum for a class you failed in high school? If it has that much of an effect on your cum gpa, maybe you should be writing an addendum for the whole thing.

Also:

When you shorten this addendum, make sure you spell "regrettably" correctly. You don't want an addendum for your addendum.

mountaintime

Postby mountaintime » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:47 pm

don't sumbit such a stupid addendum

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:05 pm

ocplaytime wrote:1st draft... too long?

This addendum is in regards my failing grade in American Sign Language 1 taken in Fall 2005 at ___ community college. I enrolled in this college course as a Junior in highschool and unfortunately, due to personal circumstances outlined in my personal statement, I was forced to withdraw from the course. Regrettebly, due to counseling errors as well as my own inexperience, the course was only dropped from my highschool schedule, and left untouched in my college schedule at the time. Upon learning of this disaster once I had transferred to (****comm college), I applied and successfuly qualifed for Academic Renewal for this specific course. Additionaly, I retook this course in the Spring 2009 semester, receiving a "B" grade.

lol

JD2014

Postby JD2014 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:09 pm

You should submit an addendum, but do it in sign language and just attach a youtube link to your application. This will also show that you learned ASL and didn't deserve the F.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:11 pm

Last edited by Kilpatrick on Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:31 pm

JD2014 wrote:You should submit an addendum, but do it in sign language and just attach a youtube link to your application. This will also show that you learned ASL and didn't deserve the F.

TITCR

ocplaytime

Postby ocplaytime » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:55 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:How bad is your gpa that you feel the need to write an addendum for a class you failed in high school? If it has that much of an effect on your cum gpa, maybe you should be writing an addendum for the whole thing.

Also:

When you shorten this addendum, make sure you spell "regrettably" correctly. You don't want an addendum for your addendum.

If I failed it in hs I wouldn't really give a shit... I think you missed the part of it showing up on my college transcript since it wa taken at a cc. Thus there's a fat F on my lsac summary.

you guys are pretty useless at this critique thing... if you're gonna rip it apart at least attempt to help

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:25 pm

ocplaytime wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:How bad is your gpa that you feel the need to write an addendum for a class you failed in high school? If it has that much of an effect on your cum gpa, maybe you should be writing an addendum for the whole thing.

Also:

If I failed it in hs I wouldn't really give a shit... I think you missed the part of it showing up on my college transcript since it wa taken at a cc. Thus there's a fat F on my lsac summary.

you guys are pretty useless at this critique thing... if you're gonna rip it apart at least attempt to help

They aren't useless. What they're saying is: Don't call attention to it, which is the correct approach.

ocplaytime

Postby ocplaytime » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:33 pm

I'm drawing attention to it because almost all my safety schools I have called have asked for an explanation regarding it.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:34 pm

What you originally said:

I enrolled in this college course as a Junior in highschool and unfortunately, due to personal circumstances outlined in my personal statement,

Hence, highschool.

What other posters (including me) have said, basically:

DON'T WRITE AN ADDENDUM FOR ONE F.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:36 pm

ocplaytime wrote:I'm drawing attention to it because almost all my safety schools I have called have asked for an explanation regarding it.

What schools are you applying to that want an addendum for an F??

If you must, take JD2014's advice:

"I enrolled in a sign language course at X College while attending high school in the fall of 2005. Due to an administrative error while dropping the course, it was not removed from my course load and I received a failing grade. I retook the course in 2009, and lived happily ever after."

ocplaytime

Postby ocplaytime » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:43 pm

Pepperdine and southwestern have both specifically asked for an addendum about the F. It could be because of the academic renewal mark on my transcript or for whatever reason. my gpa is still >75% for these schools...

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:45 pm

ocplaytime wrote:Pepperdine and southwestern have both specifically asked for an addendum about the F. It could be because of the academic renewal mark on my transcript or for whatever reason. my gpa is still >75% for these schools...

Did you call and ask or did they solicit it?

ocplaytime

Postby ocplaytime » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:52 pm

I called the admissions office and asked. On another note both counselors told me I don't néed an addendum for an LSAT score jump but said yes to this.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”