Full ride plus stipend to TTTT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jaestro

Full ride plus stipend to TTTT

Postby jaestro » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:57 pm

So, I only submitted my apps two weeks ago, so I have yet to hear back from a few. I never considered going to TTT or TTTT school, but I just received a full ride with 5K stipend. I figure that at a TTT or TTTT one would have to rank at least top 5 percent if not top 2 percent to find a good job. But I also think that at a TT or low T1 one would have to be in the top 10 percent if not top 5 percent to find a good job. The difference in debt would probably be finishing with 25 K owed, or 65 to 100K at a higher ranked school. The median LSAT at the TTTT is 152, and I scored a 170. If I bust my ass, am I still expecting too much to think I could logically be the top of my class? Obviously, I still have to see what the rest of my decisions will be, but am I crazy for considering a TTTT and little debt?

dabears1

Re: Full ride plus stipend to TTTT

Postby dabears1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:59 pm

jaestro wrote:I never considered going to TTT or TTTT school, but I just received a full ride with 5K stipend.

Doesn't applying to said school(s) imply that you have, in fact, considered going to them?

orangefanta

Postby orangefanta » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:00 pm

Which one?
Is it in a region where you want to live and work?
What kind of law do you want to practice?
What are the GPA requirements?
Most importantly...
Do you actually want to go there?

I think you'll know in your heart if it's the right move or not.

I could see no debt from a TTTT as pretty tempting under very specific circumstances.
Last edited by orangefanta on Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:02 pm

jaestro

Postby jaestro » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:20 pm

"Doesn't applying to said school(s) imply that you have, in fact, considered going to them?"
Umm...not really. I applied to many schools, and figured the possibility to use a scholarship offer as leverage.
And pertaining to the link (which is appreciated), I will be accepted to better schools than TTT. But, as many T14 hopefuls will say, after the top 14, then maybe top 25, chances of good employment are slim pretty much wherever you go. So although the chances for success are at a TTTT are riskier than a 50-100 school, a 50-100 school is still a risky proposition. At least, if I did get screwed I would have a degree with hardly any debt, rather than owing over a grand a month. Also, a TTTT has to opportunities for its top students. I know these institutions are cash cows, but they need people who are successful so they can lure more people in.

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:29 pm

Is it really worth it at that point? I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but even without any "risk" (read: debt), is a TTTT law school even worth the time that you could be spending getting better at another job for 3 years?

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:32 pm

you have a 170? I am thinking full ride at a TT not a TTTT

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:34 pm

General Tso wrote:you have a 170? I am thinking full ride at a TT not a TTTT

TITCR for the debt-averse. I'd still say hit up a T14 if you can. OP: statistically, you will not be at the top of the class. The "I can work hard and be the best" logic doesn't work when considering transferring, nor should it apply here.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:35 pm

It would help to know the particular law school, but most Tier Four law schools are best avoided.
With a 170 LSAT & a 2.7 GPA, your best option may be to take a year off & get some work experience so that the low GPA can be explained as youthful immaturity.

dabears1

Postby dabears1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:36 pm

jaestro wrote:"Doesn't applying to said school(s) imply that you have, in fact, considered going to them?"
Umm...not really. I applied to many schools, and figured the possibility to use a scholarship offer as leverage.

You: "Hey T30, I have a TTTT scholarship and I'd like to use it as leverage for you to give me scholarship." T30: :shock:

I think leverage in the sense you're describing works (if at all) for similarly ranked schools. If you're a reach, or you barely got in, they're not going to offer you scholarship. They're going to reserve scholarship for students with numbers that are a reach for the school.

Also, from a devil's advocate point of view, can we really blame LS's for pulling yield protect stunts when the LS bound set are all involved in similar antics?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:28 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:It would help to know the particular law school, but most Tier Four law schools are best avoided.
With a 170 LSAT & a 2.7 GPA, your best option may be to take a year off & get some work experience so that the low GPA can be explained as youthful immaturity.

Full ride + stipend without stipulation at a T4 like Widener isn't too bad if the 2.7 isn't going to get you any T14 or money at T1.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:36 pm

General Tso wrote:you have a 170? I am thinking full ride at a TT not a TTTT

What about IUB and Illinois?

jaestro

Postby jaestro » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:40 pm

I am only going to take time off if I feel uncomfortable about going to school. I already took two years off before I came back to finish, so by the time I start school, it would have been four years since my last failing semester. So, time has passed to assume that I am more mature. I have still yet to hear from 25 schools, so who knows if I get any good offers.
In terms of scholarship leverage, perhaps I was too bold in my comment. However, say a TT school accepts me, but offers me little money, and I have no other TT schools with better offers, it would be worth a shot to let them know that I do have a full ride offer from a TTTT. And although, I know that the TT is better, and I would not expect a full ride offer from them because of the TTTT evidence, it could leverage some additional money. After all, a TT is better than a TTTT, but a TT is not exactly the cat's meow.
Obviously, I should have been more patient and have a more detailed discussion six weeks from now, but the concept of not having banks breathing down my neck, and not to feel that I am imprisoned in a certain job that I have to have to pay my loans takes some of the edge off. Also, I know I would have to stay humble and disciplined at a TTTT, but the back of my mind is thinking that most of these kids only got half the questions right on the LSAT, and if I can't dust them come finals, I never would have had a chance to be at the top of a TT or low T.
Plus, I already feel like an underdog. I know my mind is capable of holding my own at a top school, but my grades completely took that hope away. So even if I was at a TT, I would still be an underdog to be a success. Why not be the ultimate underdog?

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:52 pm

r6_philly wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:It would help to know the particular law school, but most Tier Four law schools are best avoided.

Full ride + stipend without stipulation at a T4 like Widener isn't too bad if the 2.7 isn't going to get you any T14 or money at T1.

That's actually exactly what/where I got. A couple of weeks after I sent out my initial round of apps I was panicking that I wouldn't get in anywhere, so I picked a random T4 to apply to (which happened to be Widener) as a super SUPER safety, and I got in yesterday with full tuition plus a $5000 stipend. I'm 99.9999% sure I'm not going there, but at the time when I was submitting apps (and before I found the wonderful people at TLS :) ) and I didn't think I'd get in anywhere better, I thought I might actually go there.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:56 pm

kjadkins wrote:That's actually exactly what/where I got. A couple of weeks after I sent out my initial round of apps I was panicking that I wouldn't get in anywhere, so I picked a random T4 to apply to (which happened to be Widener) as a super SUPER safety, and I got in yesterday with full tuition plus a $5000 stipend. I'm 99.9999% sure I'm not going there, but at the time when I was submitting apps (and before I found the wonderful people at TLS :) ) and I didn't think I'd get in anywhere better, I thought I might actually go there.

Cool! When I went back to school in order to reach law school, I had 3 tiered goals. Widener full ride -> Temple instate + some $ -> Penn sticker. I went to UG 15 minutes from Widener, and while not a awesome school, it isn't badly regarded. I know good amount of people that went there for their paralegal program. I am blessed to be aiming higher, but if my top 2 tiers didn't work out, I would definitely consider Widener for free.

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:32 pm

r6_philly wrote:
kjadkins wrote:That's actually exactly what/where I got. A couple of weeks after I sent out my initial round of apps I was panicking that I wouldn't get in anywhere, so I picked a random T4 to apply to (which happened to be Widener) as a super SUPER safety, and I got in yesterday with full tuition plus a $5000 stipend. I'm 99.9999% sure I'm not going there, but at the time when I was submitting apps (and before I found the wonderful people at TLS :) ) and I didn't think I'd get in anywhere better, I thought I might actually go there.

Cool! When I went back to school in order to reach law school, I had 3 tiered goals. Widener full ride -> Temple instate + some $ -> Penn sticker. I went to UG 15 minutes from Widener, and while not a awesome school, it isn't badly regarded. I know good amount of people that went there for their paralegal program. I am blessed to be aiming higher, but if my top 2 tiers didn't work out, I would definitely consider Widener for free.

Yeah, it's SO nice to know that if something horribly wrong financially that I have a 100% financially viable option. But right now my Bama $$$ is winning out even though it's gonna put me at about $40,000 out of pocket/loans with COL

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:38 pm

kjadkins wrote:Yeah, it's SO nice to know that if something horribly wrong financially that I have a 100% financially viable option. But right now my Bama $$$ is winning out even though it's gonna put me at about $40,000 out of pocket/loans with COL

That's still not bad at all, it's like UG loan money, you will pay back in no time. Many will take $150-200k for a T14 dream.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:40 pm

kjadkins wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

That's actually exactly what/where I got. A couple of weeks after I sent out my initial round of apps I was panicking that I wouldn't get in anywhere, so I picked a random T4 to apply to (which happened to be Widener) as a super SUPER safety, and I got in yesterday with full tuition plus a $5000 stipend. I'm 99.9999% sure I'm not going there, but at the time when I was submitting apps (and before I found the wonderful people at TLS :) ) and I didn't think I'd get in anywhere better, I thought I might actually go there.

Why Widener? Do you have no strong preference as to where you work?

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:50 pm

kjadkins wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

If you want to work in the Delaware/Philadelphia/Jersey area and you aren't wedded to the idea of BigLaw, Widener for free is a fine option. You'll have to hustle to get jobs, but so do most people. It's totally doable.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:11 pm

kjadkins wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Glad to hear others thought the same thing! I applied to Widener as a super Super reach as well, and got the same offer today! Although I think University of Denver at this point is my new fallback (in with a 25k/yr scholly), it's nice to know I could go TTTT for free!

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:13 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:Glad to hear others thought the same thing! I applied to Widener as a super Super reach as well, and got the same offer today! Although I think University of Denver at this point is my new fallback (in with a 25k/yr scholly), it's nice to know I could go TTTT for free!

If you're considering Philly, definitely apply to Temple. They'll probably throw some $ your way.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:21 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:I applied to Widener as a super Super reach as well

What were your numbers, if you don't mind me asking?

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:26 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:I applied to Widener as a super Super reach as well

What were your numbers, if you don't mind me asking?

In profile - but 162/3.9

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:20 am

johnnyutah wrote:
kjadkins wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

If you want to work in the Delaware/Philadelphia/Jersey area and you aren't wedded to the idea of BigLaw, Widener for free is a fine option. You'll have to hustle to get jobs, but so do most people. It's totally doable.

My entire family is in Virginia. I'd like to work/live within a 12 hours drive from my hometown (most of my family won't fly, so that's my only option if I want them to ever visit me), so that gives me LOTS of options. I applied to the Harrisburg campus so I assumed if I went there, I'd just live somewhere in PA for the rest of my life. Not a bad deal, close to home and there are much worse places to live. Plus SO has a lot of family in PA, so that's also a plus.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:35 am

kjadkins wrote:I applied to the Harrisburg campus so I assumed if I went there, I'd just live somewhere in PA for the rest of my life.

Do you prefer the Harrisburg market to the Philadelphia market? There isn't much BigLaw in central PA, but HBurg is big on government-related jobs.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”