Question on URM and chances Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
wvbob3

New

Question on URM and chances

Post by wvbob3 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:45 am

Hello everyone, this is my first post on here, but I have been following this website for a few months and many of my questions have come up before, so I thought it could help again. I have a high GPA at 3.86 (now 3.91 after fall grades), but scored a 160 on the LSAT. I am part Native American and have debated putting it on my applications thus far and decided not to for, but with the recent wave of fee waivers going out, I decided to apply to a few more schools. I would like to go to a T14 and have applied to 5 already, but was also thinking of Duke now. What do you all think? What are my chances of getting in. My other T14 were Chicago, Penn, Michigan, UVA, Northwestern. The only of these I put it down for was Penn. Thanks!

pwyoung

Bronze

Re: Question on URM and chances

Post by pwyoung » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:48 am

Why on Earth would you NOT put it on applications? It can only help you. With your GPA you probably have a good shot at the lower T14, if you got just a few more points on your LSAT you'd have a shot anywhere.

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Post by fundamentallybroken » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:50 am

wvbob3 wrote:Hello everyone, this is my first post on here, but I have been following this website for a few months and many of my questions have come up before, so I thought it could help again. I have a high GPA at 3.86 (now 3.91 after fall grades), but scored a 160 on the LSAT. I am part Native American and have debated putting it on my applications thus far and decided not to for, but with the recent wave of fee waivers going out, I decided to apply to a few more schools. I would like to go to a T14 and have applied to 5 already, but was also thinking of Duke now. What do you all think? What are my chances of getting in. My other T14 were Chicago, Penn, Michigan, UVA, Northwestern. The only of these I put it down for was Penn. Thanks!
With a 160, the only way you're getting into T14 is by putting it down. Everyone has a 3.91 these days.

wvbob3

New

Post by wvbob3 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:53 am

To be honest, I am 1/16th and am not registered with a tribe. I would count as Cherokee, but do not have a card, nor do I have blood certificate. Should I notify schools I have already submitted to, or cut my losses there and move forward?

wvbob3

New

Post by wvbob3 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:57 am

Also, what are my chances with Penn and UVA? Those are the two I favor the most heavily.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pwyoung

Bronze

Post by pwyoung » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:34 am

wvbob3 wrote:To be honest, I am 1/16th and am not registered with a tribe. I would count as Cherokee, but do not have a card, nor do I have blood certificate. Should I notify schools I have already submitted to, or cut my losses there and move forward?
In this instance, you're totally boned and probably not considered URM.

1/16th is pretty far removed, no registration, no card, no blood certificate? I'm actually approximately 1/16th, but I don't consider myself by any stretch the of imagination to be URM.

As far as Penn or UVA without it? 160 isn't going to cut it.

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:20 am

unfortunately you cannot put it, I am Cuban and NA, but also am not registered with a tribe so I am stuck with my Non-URM hispanic status. If you put down NA and cannot prove it now, you might not be able to be admitted to the bar. Shit like this can raise a serious problem during character and fitness. You have a great GPA, just retake and raise that to a 166+ and you will nab a few T-14's.

wvbob3

New

Post by wvbob3 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:25 am

I put down on the LSAT that I partially identified as NA. Should I be concerned come admission to the bar time?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”