Law School Predictor Questions Probably Asked Before This

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
darkgreenfruit

Law School Predictor Questions Probably Asked Before This

Postby darkgreenfruit » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:48 am

1. Does a "consider" mean 50/50? Can I expect to get into some of these schools that gave me a "consider"?
2. What's the time frame of applying I should be thinking of for the law school predictor? I applied early December for most schools.

... I thought I may have more questions but that's it. :P Anyway, thanks in advance!

Cmart050

Re: Law School Predictor Questions Probably Asked Before This

Postby Cmart050 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:01 am

Are you a splitter? Predictions aren't as accurate. I'm a "consider" from
30 to about 75. The only one that was a green admit was Miami, which I was recently waitlisted at. Meanwhile, I was accepted to FSU rather quickly. HTH.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:11 am

From LSP:

"Target admit rates, based on how LSP renders predictions:
When LSP said Admit: >= 87%
When LSP said Strong Consider: ~ 69%
When LSP said Consider: ~ 50%
When LSP said Weak Consider: ~ 31%
When LSP said Deny: <= 13%"

So yeah, 50/50, unless you're either kind of splitter, or a URM, in which case it's known to be kind of inaccurate.

The earlier the better for almost all schools (except WUSTL and the other handful that don't do rolling)

EricBerry

Postby EricBerry » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:59 am

I found LSP to be fairly pessimistic with their projections. Out of my 8 acceptances thus far, 2 were from LSP "denies" and 2 were from "weak considers".

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:03 am

EricBerry wrote:I found LSP to be fairly pessimistic with their projections. Out of my 8 acceptances thus far, 2 were from LSP "denies" and 2 were from "weak considers".

Wow. Congrats.

Are you a URM and/or splitter? Is there something outstanding about your application?

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:30 am

Yeah, spill the goods! Starting to feel a bit better about splitting it hard (should I improve substantially on my retake).

EricBerry

Postby EricBerry » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:38 pm

Not a URM, not a splitter, and not a T50 caliber candidate numbers-wise. I think the discrepancy between LSP and reality is more of a knock on the accuracy of LSP's predictions than a testament to my competitiveness as an applicant. I must say, though, that I couldn't have asked for a better cycle thus far. It could have something to do with my personal statement (well above average IMO), work experience, and extreme upward grade trend. Bottom line- if I had formed my school list based on LSP, I would have been denied my best options for law school.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:50 pm

LSP is pretty dead on for me... the only glitch being @ BC, I was "held" instead of admitted when LSP said "ADMIT". Every other admit I was admitted to, every strong/consider has been WL, and I have yet to receive any decisions for "Deny" or "Weak Consider" schools, so we'll see.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:58 pm

LSP is cool to see where you roughly stand at a wide variety of schools.

LSAC's Official Guide and their School Description offer a much more detailed picture, if the school releases their admissions graph. This shows concrete #s on how many people applied with certain numbers and how many were admitted. LSN is great but for people with unusual stats its self selecting nature causes it to be fairly pessimistic in some instances...

Other instances LSP is too optomistic. I wouldn't consider a school to be a "Consider" when they only admitted 9 out of 100+ applicants in my score/gpa range last year...

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:59 pm

I'm throwing darts at a bunch of LSP "considers" I can see myself realistically attending, trying to get as many fee waivers as possible, and hoping one or two give me a shot. I got some other stuff in my app that could give me a lift.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”