Explaining Break During Undergrad Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
whirledpeas86

Silver

Explaining Break During Undergrad

Post by whirledpeas86 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:43 pm

Several schools ask that if there was a break in your undergraduate matriculation for one semester or longer, you submit an addendum explaining your absence. What if the was due to financial hardship? I can sum up why I took a break during the fall semester of senior year (only had 6 credits left to graduate, so I ended up graduating on time anyway) in just a few sentences. Something along the lines of:

Unfortunately, due to financial hardship, I was unable to attend school during the fall semester of my senior year. During that time, I worked and applied for scholarships so that I would be able to return to school in the Spring. I had accumulated approximately a semester's worth of extra credits by taking Advanced Placement classes in high school, as well as taking more than the required number of credits for every semester up until that point. Therefore, even though I was delayed a semester, I was still able to graduate on time with the rest of my class.

Do you all think that would be acceptable?

AreJay711

Gold

Re: Explaining Break During Undergrad

Post by AreJay711 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:46 pm

I think it is fine. I think the real reason they ask is because some schools will erase a suspension from your record after a certain period. Having to stop for financial hardship won't be held against you for sure.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”