Yale worth $12 dollar report fee? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Fark-o-vision

Silver

Re: Yale worth $12 dollar report fee?

Post by Fark-o-vision » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:45 pm

HopefulFish wrote:
Fark-o-vision wrote:I think a lot of fee waivers this late are for schools looking to boost selectivity. Yale doesn't need to boost selectivity? Probably true, but if they get a hundred extra apps as a result of this and reject them all, lower their acceptance rate a half percent or whatever, that can't be a bad thing, right? you don't get to be the best by saying, "Meh, good enough."

I'd still do it for twelve bucks, though.
Yale didn't send me a random one and they aren't that whorish to do such a thing. I got a need based waiver and they were super nice about it.
Good to know it wasn't random, but do you really think adcoms everywhere aren't whores? Again, being the best means you don't accept that you're the best. Even if Yale has the thing locked up, they still have to try and win in every category. One of those categories is selectivity.

thecynic69

Bronze

Post by thecynic69 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:47 pm

Ginj wrote:
pu_golf88 wrote:ITT: OP avoids saying he/she isn't an attractive female.
Es verdad.
Si, es verdad, pero es importante? No me importa a mi...te importa a ti?

Ginj

Silver

Post by Ginj » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:51 pm

thecynic69 wrote:
Ginj wrote:
Es verdad.
Si. Es muy importante, esse.

thecynic69

Bronze

Post by thecynic69 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:54 pm

Ginj wrote:
thecynic69 wrote:
Ginj wrote:
Es verdad.
Si. Es muy importante, esse.
De verdad? Cual es la importancia?

emmbar53

Bronze

Post by emmbar53 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:22 pm

I know three people who passed Spanish 201....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dabears1

New

Post by dabears1 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:24 pm

tit...cr

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:38 am

dabears1 wrote:
tit...cr
+2

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:26 am

no, because you just further serve to increase yale's selectivity by rejecting you and thus you marginally hurt the law school you end up attending by making it look even worse than it already does compared to yale.

FWIW, i don't think any people really get admitted to yale anyway - just fairies and unicorns

HopefulFish

Bronze

Post by HopefulFish » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:05 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:no, because you just further serve to increase yale's selectivity by rejecting you and thus you marginally hurt the law school you end up attending by making it look even worse than it already does compared to yale.

FWIW, i don't think any people really get admitted to yale anyway - just fairies and unicorns
You fail. Increasing Yale's selectivity does not impact anyone below it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:48 am

Don't bother. If both numbers are below 25ths and you don't have dynamite softs, you're not getting accepted. Black box admissions process =/= just random fucking people getting admitted. Spend that $12 on something more useful.

sojasoph

Bronze

Post by sojasoph » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:13 am

you are hot

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:16 am

HopefulFish wrote:fee waived. both numbers below 25th%. significant softs. worth 12 bucks or go get a decent meal?
nope
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sojasoph

Bronze

Post by sojasoph » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:42 am

Borhas wrote:
HopefulFish wrote:fee waived. both numbers below 25th%. significant softs. worth 12 bucks or go get a decent meal?
nope
least helpful post of the thread.
You have to pick one....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

idfatq

New

Post by idfatq » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:56 am

EDITED OUT BY MODS. Even if this is not the OP, in the chance it were, outting people is not allowed on TLS.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:58 am

apply, you will not ever look back and long for 12 bucks, but if you ever find out that someone with your profile got in , you'll be pissed. Just do it.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:21 am

HopefulFish wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:no, because you just further serve to increase yale's selectivity by rejecting you and thus you marginally hurt the law school you end up attending by making it look even worse than it already does compared to yale.

Let's say Yale is ranked on a weighted index that includes selectivity, so that selectivity index score lines up on a scale compared to all other index scores in that category after it is given a certain weight. If Yale is the most selective school, its index is 100 and everyone else's number is put on a 0 (1?) - 100 scale where they score accordingly based on their relative selectivities. If 10,000 more people apply to Yale this year than last year (and it's already the most selective) and no one else experiences a marked increase in applications, Yale's score would stay at 100 but everyone else's would move lower, multiplied by a certain percent to ultimately make a whole. If Yale admitted 5% of applicants last year but 2% this year and Harvard admitted 6% of applicants last year and 6% this year, Harvard's index would decrease in this category relative to Yale's 100. If it's a 98 now maybe it would move to 97 or decrease by some fragment of a number, when compared to Yale.

Cue at least 10 people jumping on this post in the next hour.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:26 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
HopefulFish wrote:

Let's say Yale is ranked on a weighted index that includes selectivity, so that selectivity index score lines up on a scale compared to all other index scores in that category after it is given a certain weight. If Yale is the most selective school, its index is 100 and everyone else's number is put on a 0 (1?) - 100 scale where they score accordingly based on their relative selectivities. If 10,000 more people apply to Yale this year than last year (and it's already the most selective) and no one else experiences a marked increase in applications, Yale's score would stay at 100 but everyone else's would move lower, multiplied by a certain percent to ultimately make a whole. If Yale admitted 5% of applicants last year but 2% this year and Harvard admitted 6% of applicants last year and 6% this year, Harvard's index would decrease in this category relative to Yale's 100. If it's a 98 now maybe it would move to 97 or decrease by some fragment of a number, when compared to Yale.

Since all rankings are relative to one another (at least in the top 100), the most highly-ranked school getting an even higher score doesn't affect the position of any other schools, since they'll stay the same ranked as compared to one another ceteris paribus.

Edit: Unless your contention is that a lower raw score by USNWR, even if the rankings stay totally the same order, will somehow hurt schools. That would be a silly contention, since the raw scores (the 1 - 100 scale) are totally meaningless except as a tool of ranking schools against one another, so nobody gives a shit about the raw scores. A lower raw score, but everyone else with a lower raw score as well, doesn't hurt anyone. Sure, it may increase the gulf between Yale and Harvard, but I think it was Leiter who pretty clearly outlined why the mechanics of the USNWR ranking system mean that it would be pretty much impossible for Harvard to ever close that gap.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:38 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
HopefulFish wrote:

Since all rankings are relative to one another (at least in the top 100), the most highly-ranked school getting an even higher score doesn't affect the position of any other schools, since they'll stay the same ranked as compared to one another ceteris paribus.
yes i know this, but i am making the point that microscopic changes can occur even if they don't really affect any rankings quantitatively - you might not be able to measure the change unless it happens on a huge scale, but the change is still there. it just might not change any numbers people actually look at with respect to law school rankings. so, i think by definition, yale's selectivity affects everyone below it, albeit marginally of course. just defending myself against accusations of "failing".

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:57 am

idfatq wrote:EDITED OUT BY MODS
i am always amazed at how creepy people on the internet are without apparently realizing how creepy they are

Moral_Midgetry

Silver

Post by Moral_Midgetry » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:30 am

I read through all of this only because I wanted to know if this was a selftar. I still don't know. Bullshit.

pu_golf88

Bronze

Post by pu_golf88 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:04 am

Moral_Midgetry wrote:I read through all of this only because I wanted to know if this was a selftar. I still don't know. Bullshit.
I know, right?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:05 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
yes i know this, but i am making the point that microscopic changes can occur even if they don't really affect any rankings quantitatively - you might not be able to measure the change unless it happens on a huge scale, but the change is still there. it just might not change any numbers people actually look at with respect to law school rankings. so, i think by definition, yale's selectivity affects everyone below it, albeit marginally of course. just defending myself against accusations of "failing".
+1

Since it's all relative, moving the point of reference (the school that scores 100) will impact below. Won't impact the ranking, but it will impact the perceived quality of all other schools because the relative score will be slightly lower for all schools below.

sojasoph

Bronze

Post by sojasoph » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:06 am

Photo is of a 19year old so no....

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:06 am

pu_golf88 wrote:
Moral_Midgetry wrote:I read through all of this only because I wanted to know if this was a selftar. I still don't know. Bullshit.
I know, right?
OP spammed every decision thread with copy/paste questions multiple times before. Even if that is a self tar, you don't want none of it.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:07 am

r6_philly wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
+1

Since it's all relative, moving the point of reference (the school that scores 100) will impact below. Won't impact the ranking, but it will impact the perceived quality of all other schools because the relative score will be slightly lower for all schools below.
Nobody cares about the score except how it impacts the ranking.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”