Yale worth $12 dollar report fee?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HopefulFish

Yale worth $12 dollar report fee?

Postby HopefulFish » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:07 pm

fee waived. both numbers below 25th%. significant softs. worth 12 bucks or go get a decent meal?

TT09

Re: Yale worth $12 dollar report fee?

Postby TT09 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:08 pm

HopefulFish wrote:fee waived. both numbers below 25th%. significant softs. worth 12 bucks or go get a decent meal?

If you don't at least give it a shot, you'll never know...right?

HopefulFish

Postby HopefulFish » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:08 pm

TT09 wrote:
HopefulFish wrote:fee waived. both numbers below 25th%. significant softs. worth 12 bucks or go get a decent meal?

is that how you won the mega million?

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:09 pm

HopefulFish wrote:
TT09 wrote:

OMG is that a selftar??

swfangirl

Postby swfangirl » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:10 pm

Ginj wrote:
HopefulFish wrote:
TT09 wrote:

OMG is that a selftar??

No.

Also, it's just $12. The bigger question is: Have you written the yale250?

HopefulFish

Postby HopefulFish » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:11 pm

swfangirl wrote:No.

Your no is directed to which question?

250 - not yet.

swfangirl

Postby swfangirl » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:15 pm

HopefulFish wrote:
swfangirl wrote:No.

Your no is directed to which question?

250 - not yet.

I'm under the impression your tar is not a selftar.

Yeah, that's the bigger deal. if you write it, pay it. If you don't, then don't.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:16 pm

If your softs are really that good and your numbers aren't too far below median, then sure.

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:18 pm

If that's a selftar, then nice nose ring.

It's a $12 lotto ticket, so it's up to you if you can afford it.

jdhonest

Postby jdhonest » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:19 pm

If that's a self tar, then I say you send in a head shot, an application, and hope that the adcom is a guy.

thecynic69

Postby thecynic69 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:20 pm

Yale seems to consider every applicant, and does so fairly seriously (numbers don't eliminate you, though obviously strong numbers are consistently taken, whereas low numbers get in as if by magic). If your softs are actually good (as opposed to some random volunteer work that sounds good on paper), I'd give it a shot. Yale has some interest in you (hence the fee waiver). The opportunity cost of applying, I'm afraid, is more than 12 bucks. You should probably apply last minute (February xx) and spend the next month working on the Yale 250. Applying late doesn't hurt you so much at Yale, and it looks like you'd be relying on the non-numbers part of your app to wow them.

P.S. this advice is unique to Yale. it actually probably isn't worth your 12 bucks at, say, Harvard (especially at this late date).

P.P.S. a 12 dollar meal ain't that decent...

HopefulFish

Postby HopefulFish » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:22 pm

bk1 wrote:If your softs are really that good and your numbers aren't too far below median, then sure.

I don't mind writing the 250. I am trying to decide if this is a rational decision based on how unlikely it is that I will be accepted (vs. $12 fee, agonizing wait, rejection etc).
Last edited by HopefulFish on Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:24 pm

thecynic69 wrote:Yale seems to consider every applicant, and does so fairly seriously (numbers don't eliminate you, though obviously strong numbers are consistently taken, whereas low numbers get in as if by magic). If your softs are actually good (as opposed to some random volunteer work that sounds good on paper), I'd give it a shot. Yale has some interest in you (hence the fee waiver). The opportunity cost of applying, I'm afraid, is more than 12 bucks. You should probably apply last minute (February xx) and spend the next month working on the Yale 250. Applying late doesn't hurt you so much at Yale, and it looks like you'd be relying on the non-numbers part of your app to wow them.

P.S. this advice is unique to Yale. it actually probably isn't worth your 12 bucks at, say, Harvard (especially at this late date).

I question the validity of this. OP: It's Yale. Don't get your hopes up, but if you've got the time, filled out the paperwork and it's only $12, the only question should be (IMO) "Will I regret not sending this in later?"

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:28 pm

I think a lot of fee waivers this late are for schools looking to boost selectivity. Yale doesn't need to boost selectivity? Probably true, but if they get a hundred extra apps as a result of this and reject them all, lower their acceptance rate a half percent or whatever, that can't be a bad thing, right? you don't get to be the best by saying, "Meh, good enough."

I'd still do it for twelve bucks, though.

HopefulFish

Postby HopefulFish » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:29 pm

thecynic69 wrote:Yale seems to consider every applicant, and does so fairly seriously (numbers don't eliminate you, though obviously strong numbers are consistently taken, whereas low numbers get in as if by magic). If your softs are actually good (as opposed to some random volunteer work that sounds good on paper), I'd give it a shot. Yale has some interest in you (hence the fee waiver). The opportunity cost of applying, I'm afraid, is more than 12 bucks. You should probably apply last minute (February xx) and spend the next month working on the Yale 250. Applying late doesn't hurt you so much at Yale, and it looks like you'd be relying on the non-numbers part of your app to wow them.

like the poster above, I question the validity of this. Do you know this on good authority?

PS: 12 bucks gets me a meal at KFC and by my standards, that's luxury.

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:31 pm

HopefulFish wrote:PS: 12 bucks gets me a meal at KFC and by my standards, that's luxury.

...surely not a selftar...

HopefulFish

Postby HopefulFish » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:31 pm

Fark-o-vision wrote:I think a lot of fee waivers this late are for schools looking to boost selectivity. Yale doesn't need to boost selectivity? Probably true, but if they get a hundred extra apps as a result of this and reject them all, lower their acceptance rate a half percent or whatever, that can't be a bad thing, right? you don't get to be the best by saying, "Meh, good enough."

I'd still do it for twelve bucks, though.

Yale didn't send me a random one and they aren't that whorish to do such a thing. I got a need based waiver and they were super nice about it.

thecynic69

Postby thecynic69 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:32 pm

patrickd139 wrote:

I question the validity of this. OP: It's Yale. Don't get your hopes up, but if you've got the time, filled out the paperwork and it's only $12, the only question should be (IMO) "Will I regret not sending this in later?"

Fee waivers don't always suggest school interest...some schools undoubtedly send out waivers so they can reject you and boost their selectivity rating. I don't think Yale is one of them (have you seen the article detailing what changes would be necessary for Yale to fall from the number one spot [Havard avg lsat of 180, gpa of 4.0 still wouldn't topple Yale]). In short, I don't think Yale plays that shit. OP has non-zero chance of getting into Yale; they will consider someone with her numbers in a way they will not consider someone who has a gpa of 1.0 and a lsat of 120. That said, her odds aren't great. But assuming she isn't living hand to mouth, 12 bucks is a good price for this lottery ticket. Only at Yale does she have a decent chance with below 25th percentile numbers (unless OP is a URM, in which case she ought to say so).

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:33 pm

Do it. Who knows? Regardless of how poor you are, $12 in the application process is nothing.

thecynic69

Postby thecynic69 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:34 pm

HopefulFish wrote:

like the poster above, I question the validity of this. Do you know this on good authority?

PS: 12 bucks gets me a meal at KFC and by my standards, that's luxury.

Which part are you questioning? I'm a big fan of not saying things definitively unless I have a good faith reason to believe them.

HopefulFish

Postby HopefulFish » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:36 pm

thecynic69 wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:

Fee waivers don't always suggest school interest...some schools undoubtedly send out waivers so they can reject you and boost their selectivity rating. I don't think Yale is one of them (have you seen the article detailing what changes would be necessary for Yale to fall from the number one spot [Havard avg lsat of 180, gpa of 4.0 still wouldn't topple Yale]). In short, I don't think Yale plays that shit. OP has non-zero chance of getting into Yale; they will consider someone with her numbers in a way they will not consider someone who has a gpa of 1.0 and a lsat of 120. That said, her odds aren't great. But assuming she isn't living hand to mouth, 12 bucks is a good price for this lottery ticket. Only at Yale does she have a decent chance with below 25th percentile numbers (unless OP is a URM, in which case she ought to say so).

That's convincing enough for me. I'm going to buy you a sweater if I get in for whatever magical reason.

funkytown

Postby funkytown » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:36 pm

Ginj wrote:
HopefulFish wrote:PS: 12 bucks gets me a meal at KFC and by my standards, that's luxury.

...surely not a selftar...

lol

thecynic69

Postby thecynic69 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:38 pm

HopefulFish wrote:
thecynic69 wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:

That's convincing enough for me. I'm going to buy you a sweater if I get in for whatever magical reason.

Ha. I really don't mean to get your hopes up. All I'm saying is 12 bucks is a GREAT deal. Good luck in your cycle!

pu_golf88

Postby pu_golf88 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:41 pm

ITT: OP avoids saying he/she isn't an attractive female.

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:42 pm

pu_golf88 wrote:ITT: OP avoids saying he/she isn't an attractive female.

Es verdad.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”