addendum for lsat score

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mimi82

addendum for lsat score

Postby mimi82 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:23 pm

So I had a medical emergency that occured with my best friend that originally happened in October but is still very serious, she's currently in a vegetative state. I was supposed to take the LSAT in October but pushed it to December. Not because of the event but before everything happened my score was getting better and better each time so I figured I could hit my goal by December. But then all hell broke lose and my study time was gone and focus wasn't too good when I finally did get a breather. And since she was the only child I've been her mom's support for everything. So anyways my first score in 2009 was low 140's...terrible. I was in the process of purchasing a home, working fulltime, and going to school fulltime. I was doing too much. So this time around I scored low 150. But it was a 10point increase. And I know I could've done a lot better if it weren't for my friend's situation.

My question to anyone who is in law school or has knowledge of this: With this type of incident happening do you think admissions may look at the 10point increase and the situation and see that I could've done better if it weren't for circumstances? Any other advice, except for wait a year because its not an option, is great as well.

LSATWIZ

Re: addendum for lsat score

Postby LSATWIZ » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:31 pm

mimi82 wrote:So I had a medical emergency that occured with my best friend that originally happened in October but is still very serious, she's currently in a vegetative state. I was supposed to take the LSAT in October but pushed it to December. Not because of the event but before everything happened my score was getting better and better each time so I figured I could hit my goal by December. But then all hell broke lose and my study time was gone and focus wasn't too good when I finally did get a breather. And since she was the only child I've been her mom's support for everything. So anyways my first score in 2009 was low 140's...terrible. I was in the process of purchasing a home, working fulltime, and going to school fulltime. I was doing too much. So this time around I scored low 150. But it was a 10point increase. And I know I could've done a lot better if it weren't for my friend's situation.

My question to anyone who is in law school or has knowledge of this: With this type of incident happening do you think admissions may look at the 10point increase and the situation and see that I could've done better if it weren't for circumstances? Any other advice, except for wait a year because its not an option, is great as well.

Think about it from the other person's POV:

You can say 2009 was not indicative of your performance because of reasons X, Y, Z. The evidence is a substantially better score - your 10 point increase.

They may think OK.

However, you cannot expect them to simply take you at your word that you really are a 160s scorer so they should consider you to be a 160s scorer. I am sure they see such suggestions dozens of times each cycle, and are weary of them. Moreover, their ranking in USNews is not based off of what their students say they scored on prep tests, but what their students actually scored on real exams.

I think they will discount the score in the low 140s, because almost all schools take the higher score, and a 10 point increase is an entirely different bracket, and such a variance is quite rare.

If you really can do 5 points better, I'd retake and wait out a year. However, issues such as buying a house, family life, etc., I'd be hesitant to use those as an excuse. In real life and in law school, you might have such events too and cannot let them bring you from the 60th percentile into the 20th percentile.

mimi82

Postby mimi82 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:21 pm

Thanks. I get what you are saying. But I'm not trying to get into the 160's. I never scored that high on my preptests. In September I was in mid 150's. So I think I could've scored atleast 155. So I was hoping that they could consider my situation and see I might have done better if it weren't for circumstances. Also I have some pretty good softs and not trying to get into Yale, so I was hoping those would help me out. 160s is a beyond my reach.
And for the life situation, because this situation is just as bad as someone dying I think that is a good excuse. Every where I've read they say to write an addendum if a death in a family or illness. And I'm in the real world, I had to take some time away from work to get my mind right. If I was a lawyer I would've done the same. Also I don't know too many folks that were working fulltime, attending school fulltime (15-18credits), in the home buying process, and studying for LSAT all at the same time.

LSATWIZ

Postby LSATWIZ » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:22 pm

They won't assume that. Dropping a bit from your PT's to the real thing is common given the high stakes stressful nature of the LSAT.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:31 pm

If you feel as though your situtation negatively affected your performance on test day, then you should re take the test. Re taking when you are mentally and physically prepared for the test will be the best indication of your ability level. When you re take, and get a higher score, you explain the reason for that ( your friends state). You need to have both the physical score and the reason fo rthe gap between your 150 and your best score. With that said, law school admissions people will surely understand the score gap.

You will have to take another year off from the cycle and reapply next year. However, this may be a really good option because you need to be positively sure you can and are able to focus solely on law school. You need to make sure you have mentally recovered from this incident and are in the best mental state for law school. IF you spend more time studying ( mayeb get a tutor or take a class), im sure you will be able to increase your score, espceially if you re take in june or october. This also will allow you to monitor your friends recovery and be there to help your friend and their family.

best of luck to you and to your friend for a full recovery.

mimi82

Postby mimi82 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:47 pm

LSATWIZ.COM wrote:They won't assume that. Dropping a bit from your PT's to the real thing is common given the high stakes stressful nature of the LSAT.

Funny thing is that I scored exactly what I was scoring on the PT the entire month before the LSAT. They were all within 2 points of eachother, but 5 points less than in September. I was shocked.

mimi82

Postby mimi82 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:53 pm

northwood wrote:If you feel as though your situtation negatively affected your performance on test day, then you should re take the test. Re taking when you are mentally and physically prepared for the test will be the best indication of your ability level. When you re take, and get a higher score, you explain the reason for that ( your friends state). You need to have both the physical score and the reason fo rthe gap between your 150 and your best score. With that said, law school admissions people will surely understand the score gap.

You will have to take another year off from the cycle and reapply next year. However, this may be a really good option because you need to be positively sure you can and are able to focus solely on law school. You need to make sure you have mentally recovered from this incident and are in the best mental state for law school. IF you spend more time studying ( mayeb get a tutor or take a class), im sure you will be able to increase your score, espceially if you re take in june or october. This also will allow you to monitor your friends recovery and be there to help your friend and their family.

best of luck to you and to your friend for a full recovery.

Thanks but retaking isn't an option. I'm 28 and I have to do part time which is 4 years. So I don't have the time to wait another year. If I don't get in I will just do a master's program. I want to really start my life and be done with school. Focus on personal instead of career. And I did get the tutor(2009) and took a Kaplan course (2008) and I did awful. But studying on my own apparently worked better.

Thanks....and FYI you might see this all on the news in DC sometime soon. It was a total screw up of the hospital so I'm working on getting them exposed and got a few takers. Thanks.

TLSanders

Postby TLSanders » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:24 am

Honestly, I don't think that you want to call attention to all of this. What I'm reading is a series of bad life decisions. Something horrible happened to you and to people close to you and no one is going to fault you for that, but you made the choice to push ahead with the LSAT in the midst of all that when you weren't ready for it and had huge other demands on your time and attention, just like you're now making the decision to push ahead ready or not because you feel like you're older than you really are and view yourself as "not having a choice" when there are always choices. That's not the kind of decision-making you want to bring to the attention of the admissions committee, because they're very likely to doubt your ability to realistically assess whether you're ready to invest in law school now and whether you'll be able to prioritize appropriately when you get there.

I realize there's a good chance that this response is going to make you angry, but please keep in mind that it doesn't matter in the least whether or not I'm right about the decisions you made...it only matters whether the admissions committee--if presented with this information--might draw the same conclusions that I am.

mimi82

Postby mimi82 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:24 am

TLSanders wrote:Honestly, I don't think that you want to call attention to all of this. What I'm reading is a series of bad life decisions. Something horrible happened to you and to people close to you and no one is going to fault you for that, but you made the choice to push ahead with the LSAT in the midst of all that when you weren't ready for it and had huge other demands on your time and attention, just like you're now making the decision to push ahead ready or not because you feel like you're older than you really are and view yourself as "not having a choice" when there are always choices. That's not the kind of decision-making you want to bring to the attention of the admissions committee, because they're very likely to doubt your ability to realistically assess whether you're ready to invest in law school now and whether you'll be able to prioritize appropriately when you get there.

I realize there's a good chance that this response is going to make you angry, but please keep in mind that it doesn't matter in the least whether or not I'm right about the decisions you made...it only matters whether the admissions committee--if presented with this information--might draw the same conclusions that I am.

nope doesn't anger me...but I have a question...how old are you?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”