is this good enough to explain an alcohol violation?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
optimism2012

is this good enough to explain an alcohol violation?

Postby optimism2012 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:20 am

In October of 2008 I was a freshman at the University of XX. While walking home from a party at night, I was stopped by the police and charged with an alcohol violation due to an elevated blood alchohol content level, and placed on one year probation. I did not violate this probation, and the probationary period has since ended.

kehoema2

Re: is this good enough to explain an alcohol violation?

Postby kehoema2 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:07 am

I think its good enough. How long ago was it though? Did you also avoid getting into any trouble after this incident? If so I would just mention that to distance your self from your underage drinking ticket. If not, not really sure how you should close that up.

Also if I'm correct (I made my addendum a while ago) I believe schools ask for dates and whether you pled guilty, not guilty (I know that is implied in this). Just make sure you check that on each application against your addendum.

chrisiQ

Postby chrisiQ » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:22 pm

Thats almost identical to what I said about mine . . . I talked to our family lawyer before I wrote it and he said to just keep it short and sweet like that

etown989

Postby etown989 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:30 pm

chrisiQ wrote:Thats almost identical to what I said about mine . . . I talked to our family lawyer before I wrote it and he said to just keep it short and sweet like that

+1... this really very minor and no need to waste the committees time having them read a long apologetic story.

TLSanders

Postby TLSanders » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:08 am

Just one thought--"I complied with all terms of probation" or "successfully completed probation" sounds much more positive than "did not violate probation".

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”