Does WL usually mean no $?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lshamlet

Does WL usually mean no $?

Postby lshamlet » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:27 pm

Got my first waitlist today from a school I really want to attend. Since I got the WL should I assume any scholarships are out of the question if somehow manage to make it off the WL?

T6Hopeful

Re: Does WL usually mean no $?

Postby T6Hopeful » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:18 am

lshamlet wrote:Got my first waitlist today from a school I really want to attend. Since I got the WL should I assume any scholarships are out of the question if somehow manage to make it off the WL?

It depends if it was a WL because it was a reach, or if it was a case of yield protection. I'm inclined to think you have a better chance with the latter situation than the former.
It also matters when you get off the WL though. If you get off a few days before classes start, for example, $ is way out of the question. However, if you get in, for example, some time in the next month (again, more likely if it was YP than if it a reach WL), even if you're initially offered no aid you can negotiate with other acceptances.
Best of luck at riding out your WL!

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:24 am

I got money from every wait list I got off. Getting off them is the hard part.

lshamlet

Postby lshamlet » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:25 pm

Thank you very much for the replies! I appreciate it and feel better now.

registeredtosay

Postby registeredtosay » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:42 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:If you get off a few days before classes start, for example, $ is way out of the question.

Not always. My friend got off the waitlist at a Tier 1 school one week before classes started. He asked for money and got $15,000 a year. I'm sure this isn't typical, but it does happen.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:18 am

registeredtosay wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:If you get off a few days before classes start, for example, $ is way out of the question.

Not always. My friend got off the waitlist at a Tier 1 school one week before classes started. He asked for money and got $15,000 a year. I'm sure this isn't typical, but it does happen.

True, but I guess what I was trying to say is that you shouldn't for any reason be banking on getting money. The school may be nice enough (or rather, even have any left) to give it to you, but they're in more of a position of power not to at that point.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”