Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: thank you gifts for recommenders
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:14 pm 

This is a somewhat superficial question, but what is an appropriate thank you gift for a professor who wrote a LOR?

Post subject: Re: thank you gifts for recommenders
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:15 pm 

A hug.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:34 pm 

fear&loathingintexas wrote:
This is a somewhat superficial question, but what is an appropriate thank you gift for a professor who wrote a LOR?

Was wondering this too. Or more generally, whether a thank you gift was considered inappropriate.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:36 pm 

I was planning on sending thank you letters.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:11 pm 

I am certainly going to send thank you notes but my parents keep telling me I should also give them a bottle of wine or a box of chocolates or something and I don't know if that's appropriate or not.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:12 pm 

I got them a nice holiday candle. Everyone loves candles.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:15 pm 

I sent some coffee mugs I got from the school bookstore. I think something from the school and a letter is a nice way of saying thanks (whatever it ends up being).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:17 pm 

i say absolutely, unless you are still in undergrad and your college has rules against it. My recommenders were great and promptly sent in my recommendations. Although I did not send them a card, I sent them a small letter on letterhead and a nice pen (cross, mont blanc, pianki, etc.) which they both loved. I say definitely do it!

edit: I did send it after it was confirmed by LSAC b/c I didn't want to seem like I was bribing them for a good letter :lol: [although I don't think it would've mattered].

Last edited by hokie on Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:18 pm 

hokie wrote:
i say absolutely, unless you are still in undergrad and your college has rules against it. My recommenders were great and promptly sent in my recommendations. Although I did not send them a card, I sent them a small letter on letterhead and a nice pen (cross, mont blanc, pianki, etc.) which they both loved. I say definitely do it!

where can you get a mont blanc for less than 150?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:49 am 

Mroberts3 wrote:
I sent some coffee mugs I got from the school bookstore. I think something from the school and a letter is a nice way of saying thanks (whatever it ends up being).

I actually love this idea.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:53 am 

luckyme wrote:
hokie wrote:

where can you get a mont blanc for less than 150?

who said I spent less than $150? :lol: jk. I just just throwing some companies out there; I haven't really bought any pens before so am unfamiliar of their price range. I had two Cross pens from my company I got a while back and sent those to them. But yea I would say anything over $25 is getting a little excessive. Unless, of course, you can afford it, then more power to ya!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:55 am 

I gave my profs some really good coffee grounds and a thank you card. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:58 am 

Macallan 12.. Works wonders

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:59 am 

there have to be 30 threads on this.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:59 am 

I did a nice bottle of wine. Everybody likes good wine.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:06 am 

OMG, ten buck gift cards to Starbucks, or some other nearby lunch spot. Never fails.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:09 am 

JaLeCa wrote:
OMG, ten buck gift cards to Starbucks, or some other nearby lunch spot. Never fails.

Seriously? If I wrote a letter for a student and they gave me 1 2/3rds venti lattes in return I'd be a bit offended.

Last edited by lawschooliseasy on Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:14 am 

lawschooliseasy wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:

Seriously? If I wrote a letter for a student and they gave me 1 2/3rds venti lates in return I'd be a bit offended.

lol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:16 am 

lawschooliseasy wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:

Seriously? If I wrote a letter for a student and they gave me 1 2/3rds venti lates in return I'd be a bit offended.

Hey hey, down here I can get a Grande anything AND a croissant.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:17 am 

I gave them $15 gift certificates to barnes and noble and a card for the holidays. I plan on sending them a coffee mug from the LS I decide to attend when this is all said and done.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:19 am 

naterj wrote:
I gave them $15 gift certificates to barnes and noble and a card for the holidays. I plan on sending them a coffee mug from the LS I decide to attend when this is all said and done.

$15 is actually a better amount. Pardon my $10

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:13 am 

I am certainly going to send thank you notes but my parents keep telling me I should also give them a bottle of wine or a box of chocolates or something and I don't know if that's appropriate or not.

OMG seriously bottle of wine?!?!? I guess you folks have money because my recommenders would be shocked to get something like that for me. Only time I do the bottle of wine is when I go to Europe and stock up because its cheaper...lol
For one of mine, which was a boss of mine and someone I still consider a mentor/dad figure I'll probably send him a silly ecard because I know he would get a kick out of that. That's more of his personality and something he wouldn't expect. For the other, she was my supervisor and we are good friends, so I'll be taking her out to lunch.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:31 am 

mimi82 wrote:

OMG seriously bottle of wine?!?!? I guess you folks have money because my recommenders would be shocked to get something like that for me. Only time I do the bottle of wine is when I go to Europe and stock up because its cheaper...lol
For one of mine, which was a boss of mine and someone I still consider a mentor/dad figure I'll probably send him a silly ecard because I know he would get a kick out of that. That's more of his personality and something he wouldn't expect. For the other, she was my supervisor and we are good friends, so I'll be taking her out to lunch.

Yeah, it really depends on how well you know the person. I don't think profs write recs to stock up on really sweet loot. They probably have plenty of pens and can buy their own booze. But maybe if you can get them a "xyz school" something, that's kinda cool and personalized. Basically if you don't know them very well, a heartfelt note explaining how much you appreciate their help during this trying process would mean a lot to them - knowing their hard work was valued basically. And if you do know them well... then you shouldn't need a thread like this to answer the question. :)

But yeah... if I get into a NY school I'll take my one recommender out to dinner during a visit out there. Otherwise I'll take him out to dinner during a recreational visit out there. The other guy is busier than all get out and lives in Canada so... I'll just have to see.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:46 am 

Prob a thank you letter and something small. After I get in, though :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:59 pm 

Anything less than a $200 gift is cheap. Really people...stop being so countryside!