Top-Law-Schools.comTLS
Home
Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums
 
Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: thank you gifts for recommenders
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:00 am
Posts: 43
This is a somewhat superficial question, but what is an appropriate thank you gift for a professor who wrote a LOR?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: thank you gifts for recommenders
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:26 pm
Posts: 229
A hug.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: thank you gifts for recommenders
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:02 am
Posts: 488
fear&loathingintexas wrote:
This is a somewhat superficial question, but what is an appropriate thank you gift for a professor who wrote a LOR?


Was wondering this too. Or more generally, whether a thank you gift was considered inappropriate.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: thank you gifts for recommenders
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm
Posts: 4126
I was planning on sending thank you letters.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: thank you gifts for recommenders
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:00 am
Posts: 43
I am certainly going to send thank you notes but my parents keep telling me I should also give them a bottle of wine or a box of chocolates or something and I don't know if that's appropriate or not.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: thank you gifts for recommenders
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm
Posts: 523
I got them a nice holiday candle. Everyone loves candles.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: thank you gifts for recommenders
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:10 pm
Posts: 343
I sent some coffee mugs I got from the school bookstore. I think something from the school and a letter is a nice way of saying thanks (whatever it ends up being).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: thank you gifts for recommenders
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:32 am
Posts: 344
i say absolutely, unless you are still in undergrad and your college has rules against it. My recommenders were great and promptly sent in my recommendations. Although I did not send them a card, I sent them a small letter on letterhead and a nice pen (cross, mont blanc, pianki, etc.) which they both loved. I say definitely do it!

edit: I did send it after it was confirmed by LSAC b/c I didn't want to seem like I was bribing them for a good letter :lol: [although I don't think it would've mattered].


Last edited by hokie on Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: thank you gifts for recommenders
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:41 pm
Posts: 399
hokie wrote:
i say absolutely, unless you are still in undergrad and your college has rules against it. My recommenders were great and promptly sent in my recommendations. Although I did not send them a card, I sent them a small letter on letterhead and a nice pen (cross, mont blanc, pianki, etc.) which they both loved. I say definitely do it!


where can you get a mont blanc for less than 150?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: thank you gifts for recommenders
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 1053
Mroberts3 wrote:
I sent some coffee mugs I got from the school bookstore. I think something from the school and a letter is a nice way of saying thanks (whatever it ends up being).


I actually love this idea.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: thank you gifts for recommenders
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:32 am
Posts: 344
luckyme wrote:
hokie wrote:
i say absolutely, unless you are still in undergrad and your college has rules against it. My recommenders were great and promptly sent in my recommendations. Although I did not send them a card, I sent them a small letter on letterhead and a nice pen (cross, mont blanc, pianki, etc.) which they both loved. I say definitely do it!


where can you get a mont blanc for less than 150?


who said I spent less than $150? :lol: jk. I just just throwing some companies out there; I haven't really bought any pens before so am unfamiliar of their price range. I had two Cross pens from my company I got a while back and sent those to them. But yea I would say anything over $25 is getting a little excessive. Unless, of course, you can afford it, then more power to ya!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: thank you gifts for recommenders
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm
Posts: 3686
I gave my profs some really good coffee grounds and a thank you card. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: thank you gifts for recommenders
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:14 pm
Posts: 345
Macallan 12.. Works wonders


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: thank you gifts for recommenders
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm
Posts: 1236
there have to be 30 threads on this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: thank you gifts for recommenders
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:13 pm
Posts: 465
I did a nice bottle of wine. Everybody likes good wine.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: thank you gifts for recommenders
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:42 pm
Posts: 612
OMG, ten buck gift cards to Starbucks, or some other nearby lunch spot. Never fails.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: thank you gifts for recommenders
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:13 pm
Posts: 465
JaLeCa wrote:
OMG, ten buck gift cards to Starbucks, or some other nearby lunch spot. Never fails.


Seriously? If I wrote a letter for a student and they gave me 1 2/3rds venti lattes in return I'd be a bit offended.


Last edited by lawschooliseasy on Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: thank you gifts for recommenders
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:32 am
Posts: 344
lawschooliseasy wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:
OMG, ten buck gift cards to Starbucks, or some other nearby lunch spot. Never fails.


Seriously? If I wrote a letter for a student and they gave me 1 2/3rds venti lates in return I'd be a bit offended.


lol


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: thank you gifts for recommenders
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:42 pm
Posts: 612
lawschooliseasy wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:
OMG, ten buck gift cards to Starbucks, or some other nearby lunch spot. Never fails.


Seriously? If I wrote a letter for a student and they gave me 1 2/3rds venti lates in return I'd be a bit offended.


Hey hey, down here I can get a Grande anything AND a croissant.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: thank you gifts for recommenders
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 5:35 am
Posts: 3785
I gave them $15 gift certificates to barnes and noble and a card for the holidays. I plan on sending them a coffee mug from the LS I decide to attend when this is all said and done.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: thank you gifts for recommenders
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:42 pm
Posts: 612
naterj wrote:
I gave them $15 gift certificates to barnes and noble and a card for the holidays. I plan on sending them a coffee mug from the LS I decide to attend when this is all said and done.



$15 is actually a better amount. Pardon my $10


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: thank you gifts for recommenders
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:44 pm
Posts: 94
fear&loathingintexas wrote:
I am certainly going to send thank you notes but my parents keep telling me I should also give them a bottle of wine or a box of chocolates or something and I don't know if that's appropriate or not.


OMG seriously bottle of wine?!?!? I guess you folks have money because my recommenders would be shocked to get something like that for me. Only time I do the bottle of wine is when I go to Europe and stock up because its cheaper...lol
For one of mine, which was a boss of mine and someone I still consider a mentor/dad figure I'll probably send him a silly ecard because I know he would get a kick out of that. That's more of his personality and something he wouldn't expect. For the other, she was my supervisor and we are good friends, so I'll be taking her out to lunch.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: thank you gifts for recommenders
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am
Posts: 2527
mimi82 wrote:
fear&loathingintexas wrote:
I am certainly going to send thank you notes but my parents keep telling me I should also give them a bottle of wine or a box of chocolates or something and I don't know if that's appropriate or not.


OMG seriously bottle of wine?!?!? I guess you folks have money because my recommenders would be shocked to get something like that for me. Only time I do the bottle of wine is when I go to Europe and stock up because its cheaper...lol
For one of mine, which was a boss of mine and someone I still consider a mentor/dad figure I'll probably send him a silly ecard because I know he would get a kick out of that. That's more of his personality and something he wouldn't expect. For the other, she was my supervisor and we are good friends, so I'll be taking her out to lunch.


Yeah, it really depends on how well you know the person. I don't think profs write recs to stock up on really sweet loot. They probably have plenty of pens and can buy their own booze. But maybe if you can get them a "xyz school" something, that's kinda cool and personalized. Basically if you don't know them very well, a heartfelt note explaining how much you appreciate their help during this trying process would mean a lot to them - knowing their hard work was valued basically. And if you do know them well... then you shouldn't need a thread like this to answer the question. :)

But yeah... if I get into a NY school I'll take my one recommender out to dinner during a visit out there. Otherwise I'll take him out to dinner during a recreational visit out there. The other guy is busier than all get out and lives in Canada so... I'll just have to see.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: thank you gifts for recommenders
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am
Posts: 2728
Prob a thank you letter and something small. After I get in, though :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: thank you gifts for recommenders
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:08 pm
Posts: 127
Location: St. Paul, MN
Anything less than a $200 gift is cheap. Really people...stop being so countryside!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  
Login     TLS home     TLS forums     TLS wiki     Terms of Service     Privacy Policy     Copyright Policy     Contact     powered by phpBB