Should I list what schools I'm applying to if asked?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
spets

Should I list what schools I'm applying to if asked?

Postby spets » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:14 pm

I was wondering if there were pros/cons to answering application questions when they ask you what other law schools you're applying to. Many times this is optional, so I'm just curious.

canuck

Re: Should I list what schools I'm applying to if asked?

Postby canuck » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:16 pm

spets wrote:I was wondering if there were pros/cons to answering application questions when they ask you what other law schools you're applying to. Many times this is optional, so I'm just curious.

If it is optional, then no.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:20 pm

Canuck, please don't quote original posts.

OP: you can possibly use it to your advantage if you are over or under-qualified for the school to which you're applying. If you're applying to the flagship school in a market, and also the rest of the schools in that market, then it might help (read: not really) by demonstrating true interest in the market.

OTOH, if you're applying to schools number 40-60 on the USNWR rankings, with no geographic relation, it could show the obverse: all you care about is rankings, not that actual school.

Also, this has been covered extensively on this forum. Please learn to use the search function, conveniently located at the bottom of the page. Best of luck!

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:39 pm

One of my applications worded this as which schools have you applied to or do you intend to apply to? Intentions can change.

canuck

Postby canuck » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:28 am

patrickd139 wrote:Canuck, please don't quote original posts.

Seriously? Its the internet pal; hardly the place to worry yourself with one extra line of text for someone you don't know.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:35 am

I think I listed the schools I was applying to on the George Mason application. Got dinged despite being grossly overqualified. Not a good move.

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:39 am

duckmoney wrote:I think I listed the schools I was applying to on the George Mason application. Got dinged despite being grossly overqualified. Not a good move.

YP

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:41 am

sanjola wrote:
duckmoney wrote:I think I listed the schools I was applying to on the George Mason application. Got dinged despite being grossly overqualified. Not a good move.

YP

TCR, but listing that I was applying to Vandy and UVA didn't help.

krad

Postby krad » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:49 am

I didn't, and I wouldn't recommend it.

Pros- Don't know?? Cons- Potentially risking a WL or YP ding if you've got good #'s for said school (see above GM example).

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:50 am

duckmoney wrote:
sanjola wrote:

YP

TCR, but listing that I was applying to Vandy and UVA didn't help.

True. On a side note, a YP rejection could be viewed as a confidence booster. :D

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:52 am

If a law school application asks a question, then an answer is expected. In my opinion, a blank space suggests that you don't trust that law school with this information.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:15 pm

canuck wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:Canuck, please don't quote original posts.

Seriously? Its the internet pal; hardly the place to worry yourself with one extra line of text for someone you don't know.

How about an entire post? :wink:

krad wrote:I didn't, and I wouldn't recommend it.

Pros- Don't know?? Cons- Potentially risking a WL or YP ding if you've got good #'s for said school (see above GM example).

Agreed. Probably better to fill in the blanks. Peer schools are probably recommended though.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”