(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:02 pm

Last edited by MrPapagiorgio on Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Re: Would you go to a T3 without debt?

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:03 pm

As long as:

1. No scholarship stipulations.

2. It's in the area you want to work.

3. You want to be a lawyer.

Sure, why not. Might also be nice if it was in an area that wasn't overshadowed by a ton of other law schools.

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:04 pm

I would and am. :)

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:07 pm

bk1 wrote:As long as:

1. No scholarship stipulations.

2. It's in the area you want to work.

3. You want to be a lawyer.

Sure, why not. Might also be nice if it was in an area that wasn't overshadowed by a ton of other law schools.

In my case, yes, yes yes and yes (only two other law schools)

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:40 pm

In my case, yes, yes yes and yes (only two other law schools)

What region, just curious?

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:43 pm

OP, make a poll.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:51 pm

Yes, and not only that, I'd strongly consider T3 with no tuition over t-14 at sticker. Especially if T3 gives a stipend.

2Serious4Numbers

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:52 pm

i digress. money can be payed back (given you do well enough to get a job) but a TTT with no job and three wasted years of earnings sticks with you forever

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:53 pm

2Serious4Numbers wrote:given you do well enough to get a job

This isn't necessarily a given, even at top regionals. Also, it definitely isn't a given at T14's if we take job to mean "job that can pay back 6 figures of debt in a reasonable amount of time."

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:53 pm

2Serious4Numbers wrote:i digress. money can be payed back (given you do well enough to get a job) but a TTT with no job and three wasted years of earnings sticks with you forever

This is the key part.

Also, you don't digress. Digress is then you talk too much and go off topic. What you are doing is dissenting.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:57 pm

johnnyutah wrote:Yes, and not only that, I'd strongly consider T3 with no tuition over t-14 at sticker. Especially if T3 gives a stipend.

That's a little too ridiculous, even if you're debt adverse you'd likely get great offers in the t20s and 30s, and would get zero debt somewhere in the tier 2. But I know someone who went to a T3 with zero debt and graduated valedictorian and came out well (though this was about 25 years ago). Not sure how well you'd have to place to land a decent job, but my guess is top 5%.

canuck

Postby canuck » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:14 pm

johnnyutah wrote:Yes, and not only that, I'd strongly consider T3 with no tuition over t-14 at sticker. Especially if T3 gives a stipend.

This is ridiculous. Your working life is over 30 years. Think about the different salaries people from T14s and TTTs make and do some math.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:27 pm

canuck wrote:

This is ridiculous. Your working life is over 30 years. Think about the different salaries people from T14s and TTTs make and do some math.

As a 3L about to graduate from a t-14, the math is foremost in my mind, buddy.

youngblood

Postby youngblood » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:47 pm

Yes. I hope to have my own firm down the line and Biglaw doesn't really draw me. We shall see.

canuck

Postby canuck » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:27 am

johnnyutah wrote:
canuck wrote:

So what are you stressing about? If you are deep in debt live on the cheap for a few more years and focus on paying it off.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:22 am

canuck wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:
canuck wrote:This is ridiculous. Your working life is over 30 years. Think about the different salaries people from T14s and TTTs make and do some math.

So what are you stressing about? If you are deep in debt live on the cheap for a few more years and focus on paying it off.

That's a good theory if you can find a job. Lots of t-14 grads can't these days.

canuck

Postby canuck » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:29 am

johnnyutah wrote:
canuck wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:
canuck wrote:This is ridiculous. Your working life is over 30 years. Think about the different salaries people from T14s and TTTs make and do some math.

That's a good theory if you can find a job. Lots of t-14 grads can't these days.

Can't find any job in law? Do you mind me asking what school/group of schools your coming from and how you did academically?

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:40 am

canuck wrote:Can't find any job in law? Do you mind me asking what school/group of schools your coming from and how you did academically?

Penn, slightly above median, and I've got a good number of classmates in the same boat. t-14 doesn't mean what you think it does, dude.

I'll probably eventually find a law job before graduation. I've been busting my ass with apps and trying to network since last semester, and I've got good leads on public defender and prosecutorial jobs in my hometown as well as a couple of possibilities here in Philadelphia. But the PD job starts at 38k/year, and the prosecutor job starts at 45k/year. Whatever ends up happening, I'm not going to be able to "live cheaply" and pay back my debt in a couple of years.

I said I'd take no debt at a T3 as insurance against finishing in the bottom third. If you tank at a t-14, have no family or social connections to attorneys going in to law school, and don't get lucky enough to establish a mentoring relationship with an influential practitioner during school, then have fun paying that t-14 sticker debt back on your contract document review wage.

canuck

Postby canuck » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:58 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
canuck wrote:Can't find any job in law? Do you mind me asking what school/group of schools your coming from and how you did academically?

Penn, slightly above median, and I've got a good number of classmates in the same boat. t-14 doesn't mean what you think it does, dude.

I'll probably eventually find a law job before graduation. I've been busting my ass with apps and trying to network since last semester, and I've got good leads on public defender and prosecutorial jobs in my hometown as well as a couple of possibilities here in Philadelphia. But the PD job starts at 38k/year, and the prosecutor job starts at 45k/year. Whatever ends up happening, I'm not going to be able to "live cheaply" and pay back my debt in a couple of years.

I said I'd take no debt at a T3 as insurance against finishing in the bottom third. If you tank at a t-14, have no family or social connections to attorneys going in to law school, and don't get lucky enough to establish a mentoring relationship with an influential practitioner during school, then have fun paying that t-14 sticker debt back on your contract document review wage.

Wow that is significantly depressing. Luckily I'll be able to get out close to debt-free, but I'll be spending massive amounts of savings and inheritance and will be penny-less when I graduate. Perhaps its a gamble, but all you can do in life is work hard and hope for the best :)

mimi82

Postby mimi82 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:10 pm

canuck wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:

Wow that is significantly depressing. Luckily I'll be able to get out close to debt-free, but I'll be spending massive amounts of savings and inheritance and will be penny-less when I graduate. Perhaps its a gamble, but all you can do in life is work hard and hope for the best :)

I wish I had inheritance...I always told my dad I was born into the wrong family :P ....just gave my grandfather $300 to help him out and that's not the total for 2010. :x

swfangirl

Postby swfangirl » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:11 pm

Nope.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:42 pm

of course nobody would go, everyone on here is obviously going to finish above median atleast at their respective t14 school. Nobody will finish below and be saddled with 175k+ debt and no job to pay it off with. Silly.

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:37 am

One word: Stetson.

It's a Tier 3 school in an attractive market (in the sense of being a cool place to live) that has NO really good law schools and only 2 superior law schools in the same state.

I've always said this, so I'm glad I got a chance to bring it up ITT.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:05 am

flcath wrote:One word: Stetson.

It's a Tier 3 school in an attractive market (in the sense of being a cool place to live) that has NO really good law schools and only 2 superior law schools in the same state.

UF/FSU arent "really good" i guess which means t14 but I'd say youre underestimating their weight relative to Stetson in the state of FL. And Tampa/Gulfport arent exactly attractive markets if you use the words true meaning.

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:36 pm

Sandro777 wrote:
flcath wrote:One word: Stetson.

UF/FSU arent "really good" i guess which means t14 but I'd say youre underestimating their weight relative to Stetson in the state of FL. And Tampa/Gulfport arent exactly attractive markets if you use the words true meaning.

I disagree. The more literally you mean the word "attractive," the truer it is.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”