2.8/176

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AndrewGuard

2.8/176

Postby AndrewGuard » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:52 pm

I have a 176 LSAT, 2.8 UGPA from a top liberal arts college (sucks, I know), a year of teaching experience in China and another year in Argentina. Applying next cycle. Where do you think I could get in? Where could I get a big scholarship?

bk1

Re: 2.8/176

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:55 pm

Best school you could manage would be NU via ED (maybe UVa).

As for scholarships, splitters are rarely given large scholarship but you might be able to get something like 10-30k/year or so out of a splitter friendly school like GW/WUSTL/UIUC/etc. If you are looking for a better scholarship, i.e. full tuition, you'll probably have to dip even lower in the rankings (tier 2).
Last edited by bk1 on Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:56 pm

AndrewGuard wrote:I have a 176 LSAT, 2.8 UGPA from a top liberal arts college (sucks, I know), a year of teaching experience in China and another year in Argentina. Applying next cycle. Where do you think I could get in? Where could I get a big scholarship?

Get in with Early Decision application : Northwestern

Have a slight chance : Georgetown part time

You'll get like 10-15K/year at Minnesota, Wustl, Illinois, Iowa, Indiana

You might get like half tution at SMU

You might get a fullride to St. Johns, Brooklyn but I'm sure they come with grade stipulations.

AndrewGuard

Postby AndrewGuard » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:05 pm

Well, after all I've read I certainly don't want to pay sticker anywhere. Anyone else have any guesses?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:09 pm

AndrewGuard wrote:Well, after all I've read I certainly don't want to pay sticker anywhere. Anyone else have any guesses?

It's really hard to predict scholarship money at many places, esp for splitters.

If you're okay with about 10-20k or so then aim for the T1's and try to leverage scholarships against each other to maximize how much you get.

If you're looking for a full ride then do the same except aim for T2's (i.e. Brooklyn/St. John's like mentioned above).

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:28 pm

AndrewGuard wrote:Well, after all I've read I certainly don't want to pay sticker anywhere. Anyone else have any guesses?

Then IMO you shouldn't go to law school. Only shitty schools will give you scholarships, and even then they won't give you three year guaranteed. Though you could apply to some T2 schools and try negotiating for full ride.

I wouldn't go to a T1 with like half scholarship because you'll still have over a 100K in debt. Might as well go big at that point and get the better job prospects.

AndrewGuard

Postby AndrewGuard » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:30 pm

Thanks for your responses. You have provided a useful dose of reality for me. Seeing as how I'm not interested in BigLaw at all and would use a JD to work in the public sector somehow, I'm now convinced that a JD is not for me (I've been leaning this way a long time- it's just hard to walk away from a 176). I'm aware of loan forgiveness and whatnot for public interest but 100+ grand is too much to juggle for a decade. Think I'll get an MBA instead and have a wider variety of options.

Ludacrispat26

Postby Ludacrispat26 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:54 pm

AndrewGuard wrote:Think I'll get an MBA instead and have a wider variety of options.

Smart move. Just get a 760 on the GMAT and go to a T10 school who doesn't care about your GPA, take on less debt and have better job prospects. But damn, walking away from a 176 is tough...

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:57 pm

AndrewGuard wrote:Thanks for your responses. You have provided a useful dose of reality for me. Seeing as how I'm not interested in BigLaw at all and would use a JD to work in the public sector somehow, I'm now convinced that a JD is not for me (I've been leaning this way a long time- it's just hard to walk away from a 176). I'm aware of loan forgiveness and whatnot for public interest but 100+ grand is too much to juggle for a decade. Think I'll get an MBA instead and have a wider variety of options.

You could also consider putting more distance between yourself and that GPA, and then taking shots at select top schools with great LRAP. If you're sold on public interest, you might not need $$$.

Postby 98234872348 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:01 pm

AndrewGuard wrote:Thanks for your responses. You have provided a useful dose of reality for me. Seeing as how I'm not interested in BigLaw at all and would use a JD to work in the public sector somehow, I'm now convinced that a JD is not for me (I've been leaning this way a long time- it's just hard to walk away from a 176). I'm aware of loan forgiveness and whatnot for public interest but 100+ grand is too much to juggle for a decade. Think I'll get an MBA instead and have a wider variety of options.

I wouldn't let TLS talk you out of APPLYING to some schools, just to see what sort of options you have.

AndrewGuard

Postby AndrewGuard » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:18 pm

"I wouldn't let TLS talk you out of APPLYING to some schools, just to see what sort of options you have."

That's not exactly what happened. If I had received responses indicating that a 176 would get me a full ride to Washington St. Louis, I'd have considered that type of option. I was unaware that splitters face an uphill battle regarding scholarship money and my safety net is minimal but my ambition is not. I feel more secure gambling with an MBA than a JD. The type of work that a JD really gets me excited about is the work of a political consultant (the kind of work that is also obtainable through an MBA/ MPA/ MPP). There is no secure track to that path through a JD and since I lack political connections, brand name and debt load both figure to be crucially important to the type of work I would seek (which I'm well aware is extremely difficult to get into even from a top-ranked program). Sure, there is ED GW, but that still entails 70+ grand of debt and competing with GULC/ UVA grads. I concluded several weeks ago that a JD is less likely to fulfill my desires than an MBA, given the limited and very doubtful things I would seek from a JD compared to an MBA. (As my brief bio might have revealed, I love to move around the world and have been doing so my entire life. I've learned that international law is a myth apart from maritime. International trade, however, ...). I'm not entirely certain what I want to do but I know that my desires from a JD are limited and my options even more so.

Postby 98234872348 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:28 pm

AndrewGuard wrote:"I wouldn't let TLS talk you out of APPLYING to some schools, just to see what sort of options you have."

That's not exactly what happened. If I had received responses indicating that a 176 would get me a full ride to Washington St. Louis, I'd have considered that type of option. I was unaware that splitters face an uphill battle regarding scholarship money and my safety net is minimal but my ambition is not. I feel more secure gambling with an MBA than a JD. The type of work that a JD really gets me excited about is the work of a political consultant (the kind of work that is also obtainable through an MBA/ MPA/ MPP). There is no secure track to that path through a JD and since I lack political connections, brand name and debt load both figure to be crucially important to the type of work I would seek (which I'm well aware is extremely difficult to get into even from a top-ranked program). Sure, there is ED GW, but that still entails 70+ grand of debt and competing with GULC/ UVA grads. I concluded several weeks ago that a JD is less likely to fulfill my desires than an MBA, given the limited and very doubtful things I would seek from a JD compared to an MBA. (As my brief bio might have revealed, I love to move around the world and have been doing so my entire life. I've learned that international law is a myth apart from maritime. International trade, however, ...). I'm not entirely certain what I want to do but I know that my desires from a JD are limited and my options even more so.

Don't rule out whether or not Wash U will discount you for a full ride, or any school in that range. It is very possible.

Also, since you don't have substantial work experience in a business environment, an MBA will not be worth your while.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:30 pm

Ludacrispat26 wrote:
AndrewGuard wrote:Think I'll get an MBA instead and have a wider variety of options.

Smart move. Just get a 760 on the GMAT and go to a T10 school who doesn't care about your GPA, take on less debt and have better job prospects. But damn, walking away from a 176 is tough...

Interesting... do B-schools really not care about your undergrad GPA?

AndrewGuard

Postby AndrewGuard » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:32 pm

"Don't rule out whether or not Wash U will discount you for a full ride, or any school in that range. It is very possible."

Fair enough. I'll keep your thoughts in mind. Thanks for your feedback. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:35 pm

OP, I have pretty similar numbers to you (3.0/175) and for what its worth, I got in to WUSTL this cycle but they didn't offer a scholarship yet. Based on what they wrote, it seems that a scholarship is still a possibility but I might not find out until later.

AndrewGuard

Postby AndrewGuard » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:35 pm

"Interesting... do B-schools really not care about your undergrad GPA?"

I've done some preliminary research. They do. However, fantastic work experience often counts for much more.

But, the difference between law and business is in business, where you went to school does not matter at all after five years or so. An MBA opens a door. That is all. (I'm not saying performance does not matter in law. I'm just saying school prestige matters much less in business after several years. Fortunately for me, I never want to get involved in I-banking, so that won't affect me as much as some others).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”