Cornell vs. Duke vs. Michigan

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BoomBoom1986

Cornell vs. Duke vs. Michigan

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:55 am

How much better are Michigan and Duke than Cornell, in terms of job prospects. And is Michigan any better than Duke at all, or are they peer schools? I've seen conflicting opinions on this forum, but from what I can tell Duke and Michigan seem to place the same amount in BigLaw+clerkships.

sundance95

Re: Cornell vs. Duke vs. Michigan

Postby sundance95 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:57 am

In before quakeroats.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:57 am

IBQO

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:59 am

To save you a lot of trouble....

Go to the one you like better if all things are equal or the one that gives you the most money. Any difference is pretty negligible.

edit: talking about duke vs mich

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:00 pm

sundance95 wrote:In before quakeroats.

BoomBoom1986

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:01 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:To save you a lot of trouble....

Go to the one you like better if all things are equal or the one that gives you the most money. Any difference is pretty negligible.

edit: talking about duke vs mich

So Michigan and Duke >>> Cornell for job prospects? If so, how significant is the difference?

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:02 pm

Duke and Michigan are complete peers. Im not sure about Cornell. Take into account what region you want to work in if you have a preference. All 3 can get you in NYC fairly easily but Michigan is very well-regarded in Chicago and Duke is very well-regarded in the southeast.

BoomBoom1986

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:04 pm

tkgrrett wrote:Duke and Michigan are complete peers. Im not sure about Cornell. Take into account what region you want to work in if you have a preference. All 3 can get you in NYC fairly easily but Michigan is very well-regarded in Chicago and Duke is very well-regarded in the southeast.

What about for Philadelphia? I feel like Cornell may have an edge here, but maybe not?

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:06 pm

BoomBoom1986 wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:Duke and Michigan are complete peers. Im not sure about Cornell. Take into account what region you want to work in if you have a preference. All 3 can get you in NYC fairly easily but Michigan is very well-regarded in Chicago and Duke is very well-regarded in the southeast.

What about for Philadelphia? I feel like Cornell may have an edge here, but maybe not?

Lol.. Philadelphia?? I have no idea. I would think that none of these schools would have a significant edge over each other there, unless there happens to be tons of Cornell alums in Philly.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:13 pm

What's wrong with the University of Pennsylvania? It's INNN Philly.

If you can get into Michigan and Duke, you can probably get into Penn as well.

BoomBoom1986

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:14 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
BoomBoom1986 wrote:

Lol.. Philadelphia?? I have no idea. I would think that none of these schools would have a significant edge over each other there, unless there happens to be tons of Cornell alums in Philly.

Well, I figured since Cornell was closer and all that they may have a slight edge. I'm looking for the school that will be best for the east coast. Philly is my ideal location, but NYC, Boston, Pittsburgh, and Providence are also alright. Just somewhere cold and above the Mason-Dixon Line, haha.

BoomBoom1986

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:16 pm

niederbomb wrote:What's wrong with the University of Pennsylvania? It's INNN Philly.

If you can get into Michigan and Duke, you can probably get into Penn as well.

Not sure if I'm going to be accepted there RD this cycle :(

I could, however, ED there next cycle and almost certainly get in -- 169 LSAT and 3.9+ GPA.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:27 pm

You want somewhere cold and above the Mason Dixon line, and yet you are specifically asking us to compare Duke to Michigan and Cornell.

...um...what? Why is Duke an option for you then?

BoomBoom1986

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:40 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:You want somewhere cold and above the Mason Dixon line, and yet you are specifically asking us to compare Duke to Michigan and Cornell.

...um...what? Why is Duke an option for you then?

After law school. I'll go wherever I have to go to have the best shot at living and working somewhere that is cold and above the MDL after graduation. If I have to venture into the heart of Dixie for a few years to accomplish this, then so be it! If Duke gives me a better shot at BigLaw in Philly or NY or Pittsburgh than Cornell, then sign me up! Plus, they gave me some money :P

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:49 pm

Was faced with the same choice a couple of years ago, wanting to come back to Boston. I didn't see much difference in the job prospects in the Northeast, so I went with the one that gave me the most $ (Cornell). Have been happy with my choice. Some people may advise differently. I don't think Cornell would give you better options in Philly (I only know 2 people who wanted to work there and they did get jobs with large Philly firms), than the other two, but I really think any advantage that the other 2 may have in the Northeast is so slight as to make it not worth considering. Go with the one with the lowest cost of living . . . or (barring that) the one that you like best. And Penn is probably credited, but I really hate the idea of ED because of the lack of financial aid.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:01 pm

I think what's WAY more important is staying as close to the top of your class as you can once you get to one of these schools....if you do that then you won't have to worry about job prospects anywhere

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:06 pm

Honestly then, I would just go where you are happiest. It sounds like Michigan and Cornell would both be good options for you, as they are both COLD and far from the Southeast. You might even end up with a little scholarship money at Cornell.

I don't know what you have against the warm Southeast though. There's good places, bad places, good people, and bad people... just like there is in any region of the United States.

BoomBoom1986

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:19 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:Honestly then, I would just go where you are happiest. It sounds like Michigan and Cornell would both be good options for you, as they are both COLD and far from the Southeast. You might even end up with a little scholarship money at Cornell.

I don't know what you have against the warm Southeast though. There's good places, bad places, good people, and bad people... just like there is in any region of the United States.

What can I say -- I come from a family of Yankee Doodle Dandies that's been living in NY and/or PA for over 200 years :)

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:37 pm

BoomBoom1986 wrote:
NorCalBruin wrote:Honestly then, I would just go where you are happiest. It sounds like Michigan and Cornell would both be good options for you, as they are both COLD and far from the Southeast. You might even end up with a little scholarship money at Cornell.

What can I say -- I come from a family of Yankee Doodle Dandies that's been living in NY and/or PA for over 200 years :)

+1 for liking the cold, hating the heat.

Everyone around me is sniveling here in Manchuria, but I couldn't be happier. Give me a summer of heat and humidity, and I'm sick non stop. Some people have Irish genes. :)

BoomBoom1986

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:42 pm

niederbomb wrote:
BoomBoom1986 wrote:

Everyone around me is sniveling here in Manchuria, but I couldn't be happier. Give me a summer of heat and humidity, and I'm sick non stop. Some people have Irish genes. :)

Haha -- same here, though for me its English and German genes at work :lol: . 90 and humid makes me miserable and lethargic, while I can thrive and feel refreshed when it's 20 and windy. I don't mind shivering every once and a while, but sweating and feeling disgusting is something that I won't stand for :)

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:46 pm

BoomBoom1986 wrote:
niederbomb wrote:
BoomBoom1986 wrote:

Haha -- same here, though for me its English and German genes at work :lol: . 90 and humid makes me miserable and lethargic, while I can thrive and feel refreshed when it's 20 and windy. I don't mind shivering every once and a while, but sweating and feeling disgusting is something that I won't stand for :)

No joke. I actually applied to the University of Toronto this fall, partly for this reason.

My heat-loving SE European Dad: "You crazy?" My Irish mother is 100% on board with me though.

BoomBoom1986

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:55 pm

Everyone around me is sniveling here in Manchuria, but I couldn't be happier. Give me a summer of heat and humidity, and I'm sick non stop. Some people have Irish genes. :)[/quote]

Haha -- same here, though for me its English and German genes at work :lol: . 90 and humid makes me miserable and lethargic, while I can thrive and feel refreshed when it's 20 and windy. I don't mind shivering every once and a while, but sweating and feeling disgusting is something that I won't stand for :)[/quote]

No joke. I actually applied to the University of Toronto this fall, partly for this reason.

My heat-loving SE European Dad: "You crazy?" My Irish mother is 100% on board with me though.[/quote][/quote]

Hahaha -- I actually considered applying to Toronto, too. Part of it was because it's a great school and the city is amazing, but I'm also a cold-weather guy and I think I would find myself at home up there. Unfortunately, the deadline for registering with that Ontario assembly service thing had passed :cry:

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:06 pm

[/quote]Hahaha -- I actually considered applying to Toronto, too. Part of it was because it's a great school and the city is amazing, but I'm also a cold-weather guy and I think I would find myself at home up there. Unfortunately, the deadline for registering with that Ontario assembly service thing had passed :cry:[/quote]

Hey, they've only started handing out acceptances, and they sometimes take late applications. It's pretty easy to register for OLSAS and submit a late application request. :)
Last edited by niederbomb on Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:12 pm

these three seem kind of arbitrary by themselves. why not throw in UVA, GTown, NU, and Penn?

*waits for fiery, nonsensical objections*

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:13 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:I think what's WAY more important is staying as close to the top of your class as you can once you get to one of these schools....if you do that then you won't have to worry about job prospects anywhere

+1

Between Cornell, Duke, and Michigan I would give the edge to Michigan by a hair, since many of the people hiring in the city are very parochial. Their view of how good schools are probably hasn't changed in thirty years, and thirty years ago Michigan was close to the top of the heap. That being said, the advantage is minuscule, and being at the top of your class is far more important than which of these three to attend. Go where you prefer and where you can get the most $, maybe not in that order.
Last edited by St.Remy on Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”