In at a 3-Tier Reach?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Pneumatic

In at a 3-Tier Reach?

Postby Pneumatic » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:34 am

A. In at a 3-Tier reach ?
B. What's the best school I can get into now?

1. December 147 LSAT
2. 3.7 UGPA (Cum Laude) BBA&BA (Triple Major)-Business, Philosophy & Management.
3. 4.0 GPA (Class Marshal) MA- Political Science
4. 3 Honors societies
5. URM
6. Horrible record (no felony), but changed life around through education and community involvement. (5 years since last incident)
7. Older candidate with family
8. Retake not an option

Kabuo

Re: In at a 3-Tier Reach?

Postby Kabuo » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:57 am

Since everyone is going to say it anyway, can I ask why a retake isn't an option? You seem like a pretty smart and self motivated individual. Frankly, I find it surprising that a 147 is your peak. If you don't feel you prepared as well as you could on the LSAT, you should almost definitely retake. You have an otherwise (mostly) great application, and can probably write a compelling personal statement.

If you are absolutely set on reaching with your current stats, I would aim for T2. Find the region you want to practice in and throw a Hail Mary. Hopefully your URM boost can compensate for the 147.

glewz

Postby glewz » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:05 am

Pneumatic wrote:A. In at a 3-Tier reach ?

1. December 147 LSAT
2. 3.7 UGPA (Cum Laude) BBA&BA (Triple Major)-Business, Philosophy & Management.
4. 3 Honors societies
5. URM
6. Horrible record (no felony), but changed life around through education and community involvement. (5 years since last incident)
8. Retake not an option

Rank 30s & 40s, and also apply to a few 20s that are in your region. Good luck.

Pneumatic

Postby Pneumatic » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:56 pm

Kabuo wrote:Since everyone is going to say it anyway, can I ask why a retake isn't an option? You seem like a pretty smart and self motivated individual. Frankly, I find it surprising that a 147 is your peak. If you don't feel you prepared as well as you could on the LSAT, you should almost definitely retake. You have an otherwise (mostly) great application, and can probably write a compelling personal statement.

If you are absolutely set on reaching with your current stats, I would aim for T2. Find the region you want to practice in and throw a Hail Mary. Hopefully your URM boost can compensate for the 147.

I already have based my plans around attending law school in the fall and it would be harder to change those plans than re-take and try to get in next cycle. Right now, I would be happy to get in anywhere in my region. I still can't believe I bombed the LSAT. The nightmares wont quit. I was scoring in the mid-150's on a regular basis. I'm so bummed.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:01 am

Pneumatic wrote:
Kabuo wrote:Since everyone is going to say it anyway, can I ask why a retake isn't an option? You seem like a pretty smart and self motivated individual. Frankly, I find it surprising that a 147 is your peak. If you don't feel you prepared as well as you could on the LSAT, you should almost definitely retake. You have an otherwise (mostly) great application, and can probably write a compelling personal statement.

I already have based my plans around attending law school in the fall and it would be harder to change those plans than re-take and try to get in next cycle. Right now, I would be happy to get in anywhere in my region. I still can't believe I bombed the LSAT. The nightmares wont quit. I was scoring in the mid-150's on a regular basis. I'm so bummed.

If you don't have a guaranteed job, retake or don't go.

You can seriously mess up your whole life with debt and end up with less job prospect than with just your BA by going to a TTT (depending on which one).

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:06 am

rad law wrote:You can seriously mess up your whole life with debt and end up with less job prospect than with just your BA by going to a TTT (depending on which one).

This. Up your score by 15 points, and you should be in at some lower T14.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:10 am

glewz wrote:

1. December 147 LSAT
4. 3 Honors societies
5. URM
8. Retake not an option

Rank 30s & 40s, and also apply to a few 20s that are in your region. Good luck.

Retake. If not, follow the quoted advice. I remember seeing a girl with similar stats getting into Wisconsin with a full ride. You never know with URM's.

kehoema2

Postby kehoema2 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:15 am

1. December 147 LSAT
4. 3 Honors societies
5. URM
8. Retake not an option

I'm assuming you currently have a job. Wouldn't going to most schools at full price (or anything close) be very risky?

If retake is not an option, remember number 7. Then don't go to law school.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:18 am

The law school that you attend is going to have far-reaching effects on the rest of your entire life, for better or for worse. If you under-performed on the LSAT, you owe it to yourself to take a deep breath and give it another go. Yeah, I know it sucks to change gears like that, but it will benefit you in the long run. Think of it as an investment.

supermannn

Postby supermannn » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:31 am

yea it seems that URM gives you a considerable boost, so I would apply schools ~20s and down in regions you want to live/work. ALso, maybe check out LSN to see how other people with your numbers fared.

ATR

Postby ATR » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:43 am

rad law wrote:If you don't have a guaranteed job, retake or don't go.

You can seriously mess up your whole life with debt and end up with less job prospect than with just your BA by going to a TTT (depending on which one).

Pneumatic

Postby Pneumatic » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:38 am

atresia wrote:

I'm trying to go into government or public interest work. I'm not going to law school for the money. I can afford to go to any law school right now, but not later. I need to get in now, that's why I am asking if it is likely that I will get in a TTT or anywhere for that matter. Just want some opinions.

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:42 am

What kind of URM are yo..... Just retake.

fear&loathingintexas

Postby fear&loathingintexas » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:19 am

Pneumatic wrote:

It might be harder to change those plans than to re-take and wait till the next cycle. But it is most certainly easier to change those plans than to spend $200K to attend a mediocre school and wind up clutching at straws trying to get jobs you're overqualified for and trying to live the rest of your life with finances that are completely destroyed (barring winning the lottery or a very rich aunt dying).

It sucks that which law school you attend has so much of an ability to make the world your oyster or clusterf@$% you until your dying day. I can't think of any other profession where that is the case but unfortunately such is life. One year out of the rest of your life isn't huge in the scheme of things. I sympathize with the fact that you have a family and obviously have less flexibility than someone in their 20s. But in all honesty, if going to a Tier 1 school is not an option, I'm not sure I'd bother. The legal profession isn't as "open" as it once was, jobs are hard to come by, and I think the days of people in their 30s and 40s deciding to embark on the law as a career are probably numbered.

You really have two options:
(1) Retake.
(2) Find another line of work.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:21 am

Pneumatic wrote:
atresia wrote:

I'm trying to go into government or public interest work. I'm not going to law school for the money. I can afford to go to any law school right now, but not later. I need to get in now, that's why I am asking if it is likely that I will get in a TTT or anywhere for that matter. Just want some opinions.

Didn't say you were going for the money, bro. I'm talking about the simple reality that there are not enough jobs to go around.

Good govt. work can be more competitive than firms, as local govt. hiring is down thanks to decreased revenues. PI continues to be extremely competitive. Plenty of people from prestigious schools want these jobs too, you know.

The possibility is good from a TTT that you will work for a small firm (not in line with your career goals) making $40k-$50k. Hope you've got a LARGE chunk of money saved.

There is also a good possibility you go back to doing pretty much exactly what you were doing before (due to the lack of entry-level legal jobs), except with 3 years lost income and increased debt.

Hope you're cool with all that.

Pneumatic

Postby Pneumatic » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:37 am

I'll see what happens. I applied to 10 schools. Hopefully I can get into a solid TTT.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:40 am

Pneumatic wrote:Hopefully I can get into a solid TTT.

The only solid TTTs are ones where the TTT is the only school in a not very desirable market. Like University of Nebraska.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:41 am

rad law wrote:

The only solid TTTs are ones where the TTT is the only school in a not very desirable market. Like University of Nebraska.

This. Heed this. The only TTTs with good job prospects are the ones that are the best schools in their respective regions, which are mostly relatively rural. And those degrees are not very portable.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:56 am

If you are black maybe you can get into Howard?

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:57 am

rad law wrote:

And here I am thinking "solid TTT" is an oxymoron...

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:05 am

gbpackerbacker wrote:
rad law wrote:

And here I am thinking "solid TTT" is an oxymoron...

They're still not all that solid. There's often not a ton of jobs in these places, and it can be very tough without connections. Take South Carolina. Barely anyone wants to be there, but it is a SMALL market. And everyone knows everyone. And employers are serious about connections. If you're not from SC but still go to USC, you still may be in deep shit as those people with connections network their way into the few remaining jobs.

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:46 am

I hate the "ITE" jazz, but I don't think any school, save for maybe T6, is solid at the moment.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:17 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:I hate the "ITE" jazz, but I don't think any school, save for maybe T6, is solid at the moment.

Whaaaaaat? You don't consider a coin flip's shot at big law from MVPDN to be solid? :wink:

mimi82

Postby mimi82 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:29 pm

go to lawschoolnumbers.com. Check out the schools and if they've admitted folks w/in your lsat score. You will be able to get into a law school. A friend of mine son got into Cooley with a 141 score so it's possible. But if you go to lawschoolnumbers you will get a better indicator on what schools have taken ppl with your score.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:31 pm

mimi82 wrote:go to lawschoolnumbers.com. Check out the schools and if they've admitted folks w/in your lsat score. You will be able to get into a law school. A friend of mine son got into Cooley with a 141 score so it's possible. But if you go to lawschoolnumbers you will get a better indicator on what schools have taken ppl with your score.

For the love of God, I hope you're a troll.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”