LSAT Bomb, rest of file is solid NEED HELP

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Sicsofs

LSAT Bomb, rest of file is solid NEED HELP

Postby Sicsofs » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:56 pm

a
Last edited by Sicsofs on Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curry

Re: LSAT Bomb, rest of file is solid NEED HELP

Postby Curry » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:01 pm

For god sakes retake. you have the ability to get into HYS with your softs if you can get into the mid 160's. If you study, you can do it.

Postby 20121109 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:01 pm

Sicsofs wrote:Okay, so I bombed my december LSAT. I really need to know my range of schools. 155, 4.0, URM (black male), 2x combat veteran, fluent in Arabic (MSA and Iraqi) and my last job was was doing interrogations as a civilian at Guantanamo Bay. I have recs from a senior military supervisor and a PHD professor and i believe my personal statement is second only to a african refugee that escaped the slave trade, took a raft over and taught themselves English. I am willing to retake if necessary for fall 2012 but if i need to apply for this fall where should i take my shots. I am willing to apply to up to 20 schools so i need to know where i should be good, where i have an okay shot, and where it is unlikely but you never know cuz they like a good story. Please help. I hate being in this spot but i am so thanks.

Retake. Please. Re. Take.

You're a black male, combat veteran with impressive softs. 160 = lock at T14. Get at least a 162 and you're in the T6. Get at least a 165 = HYS. (TBH, HYS could even be possible with a 160)

Good luck :)

Curry

Postby Curry » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:07 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Sicsofs wrote:Okay, so I bombed my december LSAT. I really need to know my range of schools. 155, 4.0, URM (black male), 2x combat veteran, fluent in Arabic (MSA and Iraqi) and my last job was was doing interrogations as a civilian at Guantanamo Bay. I have recs from a senior military supervisor and a PHD professor and i believe my personal statement is second only to a african refugee that escaped the slave trade, took a raft over and taught themselves English. I am willing to retake if necessary for fall 2012 but if i need to apply for this fall where should i take my shots. I am willing to apply to up to 20 schools so i need to know where i should be good, where i have an okay shot, and where it is unlikely but you never know cuz they like a good story. Please help. I hate being in this spot but i am so thanks.

Retake. Please. Re. Take.

You're a black male, combat veteran with impressive softs. 160 = lock at T14. Get at least a 162 and you're in the T6. Get at least a 165 = HYS. (TBH, HYS could even be possible with a 160)

Good luck :)

Mod copied me. But I approve nevertheless

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:08 pm

Standard TLS response:

RETAKE! Don't waste you amazing GPA and URM status with that LSAT. You can go anywhere depending on your LSAT score. Your softs are helpful (but not really...)

My response:

If you retake: Retake in June. This will give you enough time to study for the test and improve you score to at least the mid-160's. This will improve your chances of a large scholarship from T14 schools and give you a shot at CCN.

If you keep your score: You have to a shot at almost every 20-50th ranked school. Don't expect too much scholarship money. However, you could receive a large scholarship from a T2 school.

Retake if you think you didn't study enough or can do better. Applying now is very late in cycle. Even if you don't do well on the June test you still have the October test. If after 3 tries you still have a score in the 150's you can always ED to a T14 school and you will still have potential scholarships to T1/T2 schools.

(This all depends on what you want to do after school and where you want to work)

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:08 pm

Are you kidding me? Is this a joke? With even a modest improvement on that LSAT you could write your own ticket to any law school on the planet!

Sicsofs

Postby Sicsofs » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:14 pm

Okay, I have been really considering the June test after having my weekend spoiled. Question: If I send out some apps now for the fall and get rejected, when i retest and raise my score will these rejected applications affect my new applications for the same schools. Right now i am like screw it take some shots, see what comes back and go from there but if my old app will some how threaten my chances with a better score for the following year then i wont apply and will just retake.

Postby 20121109 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:16 pm

Sicsofs wrote:Okay, I have been really considering the June test after having my weekend spoiled. Question: If I send out some apps now for the fall and get rejected, when i retest and raise my score will these rejected applications affect my new applications for the same schools. Right now i am like screw it take some shots, see what comes back and go from there but if my old app will some how threaten my chances with a better score for the following year then i wont apply and will just retake.

I really think you should wait and get your score to a 160+ . Seriously, just wait and retake and get the points you need. With your background and URM status, you'll be a lock for the very best schools next cycle.

ScarryBakhtin

Postby ScarryBakhtin » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:19 pm

Trust what everyone has been posting on this forum. With a solid retake you could go to any of the schools you will get into now FOR FREE. As you said in your subject line, every other element of your application is solid. Even if you have no interest in attending HYS, why pay for law school when you won't have to.

Sicsofs

Postby Sicsofs » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:24 pm

Its free anyways man. I will be 33 this month, so my issue is time. I am down to retake but if i could get lucky at a school that i can live with I can just be done with it. However, i don't want a mess it up if they will penalize me for having previously applied is all. If it wont mess it up i will send out some long shots (all i got to lose is the fee right) and retake in June unless i get stupid lucky. The older you get time becomes the biggest issue of them all.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:25 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:42 pm

Just chiming to echo the general (and 100% correct) sentiment expressed unanimously so far: for the love of God, retake.

Wait until next cycle to apply again. Take June or September 2011 LSAT, and spend all your free time until then prepping. This decision will literally change the course of your life.

policestate1234

Postby policestate1234 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:44 pm

Retake bro retake

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”