Really think hard about attending a higher ranked school.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bigben

Really think hard about attending a higher ranked school.

Postby bigben » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:30 pm

Really, you should.

kwais

Re: Really think hard about attending a higher ranked school.

Postby kwais » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:31 pm

can you elaborate?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:34 pm

What if you're at Yale? Should you still think about it?

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:37 pm

JazzOne wrote:What if you're at Yale? Should you still think about it?

Yes. You have to think hard how you're going to blow all that $$$$ after you get your prestigious big law position... or work on your golf swing so you won't look like a punk when you become a SCOTUS justice.

bigben

Postby bigben » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:38 pm

kwais wrote:can you elaborate?

Seemed like the higher ranked schools were being left out with the other thread being about lower ranked schools. You should think hard because you might not get a high paying job, and even if you do you might not like it, and even if you like it it might not last more than a year or 2, and even if it does last longer than that it probably won't last more than 4 or 5 years, and even if you don't want a high paying job you might not be able to find what you want, and even if you do you might not like it, and if you attend a higher ranked school it means you could have gone somewhere else for free.

As for the 99.9% of TLS addicts that already knew these things, get off this site and stop wasting your time.
Last edited by bigben on Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:39 pm

OK, new question. What if you really think hard about it and conclude that it's a stupid idea?

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:40 pm

bigben wrote:

Seemed like the higher ranked schools were being left out with the other thread being about lower ranked schools. You should think hard because you might not get a high paying job, and even if you do you might not like it, and even if you like it it might not last for more than a year or 2, and even if you don't want a high paying job you might not be able to find what you want, and even if you do you might not like it, and if you attend a higher ranked school it means you could have gone somewhere else for free.

As for the 99.9% of TLS addicts that already knew these things, get off this site and stop wasting your time.

Please elaborate how this doesn't apply to 99.9% of other professions you learn in school.

bigben

Postby bigben » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:46 pm

ResolutePear wrote:Please elaborate how this doesn't apply to 99.9% of other professions you learn in school.

No idea whether it does or doesn't. Do you think I am an expert on all the various professions out there? I will venture that I don't think the "up or out" system exists in many other industries. Also, I think law may be somewhat unique in people being unable/unwilling to comprehend the nature of the job before deciding to go to law school. Also, I don't understand the fixation on "professions you learn in school."

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:49 pm

Can someone please direct me to the professions where every student is guaranteed a good job? They sound much better than law.

2Serious4Numbers

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:52 pm

Adjudicator wrote:Can someone please direct me to the professions where every student is guaranteed a good job? They sound much better than law.

srsly... this thread is nuts

bigben

Postby bigben » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:56 pm

Adjudicator wrote:Can someone please direct me to the professions where every student is guaranteed a good job? They sound much better than law.

Can you direct me to any other professions that require you to commit 200k + 3 yrs opportunity cost up front without knowing whether you'll make any money? This sounds more like something out of a con scheme.

But to answer your question, doctors, dentists, and pharmacists are guaranteed to make a decent salary.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:57 pm

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:57 pm

bigben wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:Please elaborate how this doesn't apply to 99.9% of other professions you learn in school.

No idea whether it does or doesn't. Do you think I am an expert on all the various professions out there? I will venture that I don't think the "up or out" system exists in many other industries. Also, I think law may be somewhat unique in people being unable/unwilling to comprehend the nature of the job before deciding to go to law school. Also, I don't understand the fixation on "professions you learn in school."

It was a rhetorical question, they're *ALL* like that - with maybe the slim exception of medicine since they want prospects to shadow an MD.

But sure, let's go over that.

Accounting, Medicine, Law, Engineering. You directly go into these programs with the expectation that you will graduate and work in this profession.

Business, Liberal Arts, Hard Science... all have academic value, but you have to know how to "use" the degree to get a job.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:58 pm

Doctor.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:59 pm

bigben wrote:

Can you direct me to any other professions that require you to commit 200k + 3 yrs opportunity cost up front without knowing whether you'll make any money? This sounds more like something out of a con scheme.

But to answer your question, doctors, dentists, and pharmacists are guaranteed to make a decent salary.

Sure.

Business School, Optometrist School, Architecture... (100's more things)... Creative Writing.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:01 pm

Drake014 wrote:

Doctor.

He said, "good." :lol:

I kid. Seriously, people who are worried about getting a job should be looking into an MD - provided you didn't fuck up your undergrad and have ~10 years to give as commitment before you start making any substantial money.

You'll also have way more than 200k in loans.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:02 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
Drake014 wrote:

Doctor.

I kid. Seriously, people who are worried about getting a job should be looking into an MD - provided you didn't fuck up your undergrad and have ~10 years to give as commitment before you start making any substantial money.

You'd be surprised how many science majors can't muster a respectable MCAT score.

bigben

Postby bigben » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:04 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
bigben wrote:

Sure.

Business School, Optometrist School, Architecture... (100's more things)... Creative Writing.

lol. Well if that is the case they all sound pretty bad. Of course it all comes down to the math of the particular situation and the question of how big a risk you want to take. Wouldn't you agree that this is something you should think hard about? I can't tell if you're disagreeing with me here or not.

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:04 pm

Hey cool another "don't go to law school" thread. This one is so informative and convincing I can't help but change my entire life.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:04 pm

JazzOne wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
Drake014 wrote:

Doctor.

You'd be surprised how many science majors can't muster a respectable MCAT score.

If I went to Med School, I'd do it with a Poli. Sci. No need to know about inverse-neutrino behavior in med school. :mrgreen:

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:05 pm

bigben wrote:

Seemed like the higher ranked schools were being left out with the other thread being about lower ranked schools. You should think hard because you might not get a high paying job, and even if you do you might not like it, and even if you like it it might not last more than a year or 2, and even if it does last longer than that it probably won't last more than 4 or 5 years, and even if you don't want a high paying job you might not be able to find what you want, and even if you do you might not like it, and if you attend a higher ranked school it means you could have gone somewhere else for free.

This was hard to read.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:05 pm

gens1tb wrote:Hey cool another "don't go to law school" thread. This one is so informative and convincing I can't help but change my entire life.

I see what you did there. I SEE IT! XD

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:06 pm

thecilent wrote:
bigben wrote:

This was hard to read.

TP;DR: You're fucked as a lawyer.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:06 pm

bigben wrote:

It's funny, because your "answer" to the other question is also the answer to your own question...

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:08 pm

gens1tb wrote:Hey cool another "don't go to law school" thread. This one is so informative and convincing I can't help but change my entire life.

Hey cool. You'll probably still go anyway and end up fucked.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”