Mary Jane Addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
imalongshot

Re: Mary Jane Addendum

Postby imalongshot » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:24 am

TommyK wrote:
imalongshot wrote:
TommyK wrote:
smears wrote:Tommy knowing what you know now of course you're correct, but this kid was getting dropped off at his dorm by his parents. What are the odds that he had the state of mind to even comprehend the variance of importance between those two possibilities at his age?

So you're argument is that it wasn't the wrong decision, but his motives were impure? Eh, okay. I'll have trouble arguing what was going on in somebody else's mind. It's a personal preference for me - when a third person takes an action of which I disapprove and no evidence exists to the person's decision-making process, I would prefer to attribute it to ignorance or a difference in values, as opposed to malice.

your* not "you're"

Yeah, I think I started writing "you're arguing", and then I edited it to "argument", without editing the you're to your. Thanks for adding something substantive to the conversation. :roll:

Anytime, bud.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:51 pm

thegor1987 wrote:'roommate sucks' ? I think OP might be hiding something here from us, $1000 for a pipe w/ weed? I smell something fishy to this story

EDIT : AND a YEAR of probation! A pipe with weed my ass, what really happened come on

Ok, spelling police troll.

leidice

Postby leidice » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:48 pm

imalongshot wrote:Anytime, bud.

8)

thegor1987

Postby thegor1987 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:04 pm

In some countries you get the DEATH PENALTY for marijuana possession.

Anyone ever watch Locked Up Abroad? 25 years in prison is normal for marijuana

minuit

Postby minuit » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:17 pm

TommyK wrote:
Mustard Blood wrote:
TommyK wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:I want to find your roommate and beat the shit out of him for you. Who does that?!

Well, look at it from the roommate's perspective. He moved in and found his new room trashed from a party and a bong and pot in the bong. He may or may not have known that he could be held responsible for it if he didn't report it. While I think a better approach would be to have a candid conversation with your roommate about wanting to keep your nose clean, you can understand why he might choose self-preservation over the disciplinary record of essentially a complete stranger.

You could easily imagine a TLS post from the other perspective if he hadn't narc'd on OP.

"Hey Guys, I need to write an addendum. I was placed on disciplinary action my second semester of my undergrad. I moved into a new room and it was a total wreck from a party. There was a bong and weed present. I wanted to give my roommate a chance to move the stuff out and to have a candid conversation with him, but before we could discuss it, the RA saw it when passing by and called the university police. Per university policy, I was responsible for any illegal items that were in shared spaces and since I didn't report it, I was placed on probation. Any suggestions on writing an addendum?"

Shitty? Yes.

Based out of pure malice? eh, maybe. I don't see compelling evidence of that, though.

I'd still beat the crap out of the roommate. I mean, even if he was afraid of getting in trouble, what kind of relationship did he expect to forge with his new roommate by ratting him out to the cops? I mean, that was likely the first thing he did. I guess I simply don't understand--if I were to walk into my new dorm room to find evidence of a good time, and a little pot, I'd probably high-five her and ask if I could smoke the rest of it.

Um... okay. *backs away slowly*

Look, I think everybody would be pissed at the roommate, but you really can't see why the roommate took the actions he did? C'mon...

To all the roommate detractors - let's say you're in law school and it has a strict honor code: If you know of somebody cheating and you fail to report it, you are as guilty as the cheater and punishable to the same level.

Now in this scenario, somebody you don't know very well cheated on a final. While you're fairly sure nobody would ever find out you knew, would you really risk not saying anything? Fuck that. Unless you're my actual brother, I'm not risking my ass for you.

It's a similar situation - you're making a choice: risking your academic status by inaction, or a relationship with some dude by action. Not even close to a difficult situation, my friends.

you just compared cheating in law school to a little bit of weed.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:19 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
thegor1987 wrote:'roommate sucks' ? I think OP might be hiding something here from us, $1000 for a pipe w/ weed? I smell something fishy to this story

EDIT : AND a YEAR of probation! A pipe with weed my ass, what really happened come on

Ok, spelling police troll.

OP might live in a state that has very strict drug laws like nevada

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:20 pm

minuit wrote:
TommyK wrote:Um... okay. *backs away slowly*

Look, I think everybody would be pissed at the roommate, but you really can't see why the roommate took the actions he did? C'mon...

To all the roommate detractors - let's say you're in law school and it has a strict honor code: If you know of somebody cheating and you fail to report it, you are as guilty as the cheater and punishable to the same level.

Now in this scenario, somebody you don't know very well cheated on a final. While you're fairly sure nobody would ever find out you knew, would you really risk not saying anything? Fuck that. Unless you're my actual brother, I'm not risking my ass for you.

It's a similar situation - you're making a choice: risking your academic status by inaction, or a relationship with some dude by action. Not even close to a difficult situation, my friends.

Yeah, I did. I don't see how this is an unfair comparison. I'm not equating the two offenses. I'm explaining how one might act in a way that is self-interested, but shouldn't raise the ire of so many on the board. Would you have acted differently? Probably. Is it an unreasonable way to act? Not at all. Are there possible motives outside of malice? You bet.

Grow up and do coke like an adult - tosh

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:45 am

I would like to make the admissions committee aware of the details surrounding my “Yes” answer to question 15. b. on the Primary application form.

During my sophomore year at BLANK University I was conducting some business in my dorm room. My roommate arrived home and found a large amount of crack sitting on the counter in our kitchen. Like the little bitch that he is, my roommate called the campus Police who later charged me with possession with intent to distribute schedule I narcotics. I have since murdered my roommate as well as his immediate family and don't anticipate any further problems.

ftfy

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:13 pm

leave the word "Marijuana" capitalized every time it appears in the addendum. i'm pretty sure no one who actually tokes up would do that, so it would make you look more legit.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:22 pm

minuit wrote:
TommyK wrote:
Mustard Blood wrote:
TommyK wrote:
Well, look at it from the roommate's perspective. He moved in and found his new room trashed from a party and a bong and pot in the bong. He may or may not have known that he could be held responsible for it if he didn't report it. While I think a better approach would be to have a candid conversation with your roommate about wanting to keep your nose clean, you can understand why he might choose self-preservation over the disciplinary record of essentially a complete stranger.

You could easily imagine a TLS post from the other perspective if he hadn't narc'd on OP.

"Hey Guys, I need to write an addendum. I was placed on disciplinary action my second semester of my undergrad. I moved into a new room and it was a total wreck from a party. There was a bong and weed present. I wanted to give my roommate a chance to move the stuff out and to have a candid conversation with him, but before we could discuss it, the RA saw it when passing by and called the university police. Per university policy, I was responsible for any illegal items that were in shared spaces and since I didn't report it, I was placed on probation. Any suggestions on writing an addendum?"

Shitty? Yes.

Based out of pure malice? eh, maybe. I don't see compelling evidence of that, though.

I'd still beat the crap out of the roommate. I mean, even if he was afraid of getting in trouble, what kind of relationship did he expect to forge with his new roommate by ratting him out to the cops? I mean, that was likely the first thing he did. I guess I simply don't understand--if I were to walk into my new dorm room to find evidence of a good time, and a little pot, I'd probably high-five her and ask if I could smoke the rest of it.

Um... okay. *backs away slowly*

Gotta say, after being on this site for a while, I'm pretty sure at least half of the users wouldn't only call the cops on their roommate for smoking weed, they'd do it with a huge smile on their face as they had done something good. I can still remember posters on this site saying things like that they'd report me for admitting I used unsubscribed adderall once, lol, or telling me how i'm a cheater and they fucking hate cheaters because I fixed a typo on the LSAT. Gotta tell you OP, if you enjoy people like that, you're going to love law school!

Don't pass out with that stuff laying around next time, especially not in law school. Technically, your roommate was right about calling the cops. It doesn't mean he had to be a huge dickhead about it. Law school is a place for people who think that "technically" being right about something means you get to be a huge dickhead to other people and show general disrespect for them as a human being.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”