Mary Jane Addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
paulinaporizkova

Re: Mary Jane Addendum

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:09 am

pattonthicke wrote:your roomate sucks

+1. Holy crap

thegor1987

Postby thegor1987 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:20 am

'roommate sucks' ? I think OP might be hiding something here from us, $1000 for a pipe w/ weed? I smell something fishy to this story

EDIT : AND a YEAR of probation! A pipe with weed my ass, what really happened come on

nodummy

Postby nodummy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:27 am

thegor1987 wrote:'roommate sucks' ? I think OP might be hiding something here from us, $1000 for a pipe w/ weed? I smell something fishy to this story

EDIT : AND a YEAR of probation! A pipe with weed my ass, what really happened come on

youre a moron.

2Serious4Numbers

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:30 am

You'll probably be put on double-secret probation your first semester in law school... But usually you will be taken off the second semester if you are in the top third of your class. Good luck!

thegor1987

Postby thegor1987 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:35 am

nodummy wrote:
thegor1987 wrote:'roommate sucks' ? I think OP might be hiding something here from us, $1000 for a pipe w/ weed? I smell something fishy to this story

youre a moron.

Yea I'm the moron, a DUI is less than that. You're not fooling anybody

2Serious4Numbers

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:37 am

thegor1987 wrote:
nodummy wrote:

youre a moron.

Yea I'm the moron, a DUI is less than that. You're not fooling anybody

really strict state? Maybe... No.. Prob not.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:44 am

JazzOne wrote:lol

Someone just left a random pipe full of weed in your apartment?

Hahahahahah

That happens more often then some may think. People get shitfaced and forget shit etc.

The charge is not serious at all and imho prob wont affect your cycle that much. PM if you would like to know my reasoning why.

An old college friend was given a 1.5 years probation for the same amount of weed. Some states have draconian drug laws. We don't all live out west.

thegor1987

Postby thegor1987 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:03 am

Maybe OP lives in a strict state. I wouldn't be surprised if the schools asked for police reports nevertheless

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:05 am

ArchRoark wrote:
JazzOne wrote:lol

Someone just left a random pipe full of weed in your apartment?

Hahahahahah

That happens more often then some may think. People get shitfaced and forget shit etc.

That's fine, but OP cannot disclaim any knowledge of it. No one stashed it there secretly to frame him. I think the way OP tries to distance himself from the situation is a little disingenuous, but I doubt this will matter very much anyway.
Last edited by JazzOne on Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

smears

Postby smears » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:06 am

I can't believe the campus police even cared. $1000 bucks and a year of probation....dude wtf happened on your court date??

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:29 am

I want to find your roommate and beat the shit out of him for you. Who does that?!

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:39 am

SupraVln180 wrote:I want to find your roommate and beat the shit out of him for you. Who does that?!

Well, look at it from the roommate's perspective. He moved in and found his new room trashed from a party and a bong and pot in the bong. He may or may not have known that he could be held responsible for it if he didn't report it. While I think a better approach would be to have a candid conversation with your roommate about wanting to keep your nose clean, you can understand why he might choose self-preservation over the disciplinary record of essentially a complete stranger.

You could easily imagine a TLS post from the other perspective if he hadn't narc'd on OP.

"Hey Guys, I need to write an addendum. I was placed on disciplinary action my second semester of my undergrad. I moved into a new room and it was a total wreck from a party. There was a bong and weed present. I wanted to give my roommate a chance to move the stuff out and to have a candid conversation with him, but before we could discuss it, the RA saw it when passing by and called the university police. Per university policy, I was responsible for any illegal items that were in shared spaces and since I didn't report it, I was placed on probation. Any suggestions on writing an addendum?"

Shitty? Yes.

Based out of pure malice? eh, maybe. I don't see compelling evidence of that, though.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:43 am

TommyK wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:I want to find your roommate and beat the shit out of him for you. Who does that?!

Well, look at it from the roommate's perspective. He moved in and found his new room trashed from a party and a bong and pot in the bong. He may or may not have known that he could be held responsible for it if he didn't report it. While I think a better approach would be to have a candid conversation with your roommate about wanting to keep your nose clean, you can understand why he might choose self-preservation over the disciplinary record of essentially a complete stranger.

You could easily imagine a TLS post from the other perspective if he hadn't narc'd on OP.

"Hey Guys, I need to write an addendum. I was placed on disciplinary action my second semester of my undergrad. I moved into a new room and it was a total wreck from a party. There was a bong and weed present. I wanted to give my roommate a chance to move the stuff out and to have a candid conversation with him, but before we could discuss it, the RA saw it when passing by and called the university police. Per university policy, I was responsible for any illegal items that were in shared spaces and since I didn't report it, I was placed on probation. Any suggestions on writing an addendum?"

Shitty? Yes.

Based out of pure malice? eh, maybe. I don't see compelling evidence of that, though.

+1

That's what I was thinking. Plus, the roommate's parents were there. They were dropping poor 18-year-old mijo off at college, and I'm sure they didn't feel real comfortable with that situation. lol

Mustard Blood

Postby Mustard Blood » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:48 am

TommyK wrote:

Shitty? Yes.

I'd still beat the crap out of the roommate. I mean, even if he was afraid of getting in trouble, what kind of relationship did he expect to forge with his new roommate by ratting him out to the cops? I mean, that was likely the first thing he did. I guess I simply don't understand--if I were to walk into my new dorm room to find evidence of a good time, and a little pot, I'd probably high-five her and ask if I could smoke the rest of it.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:50 am

JazzOne wrote:That's fine, but OP cannot disclaim any knowledge of it. No one stashed it there secretly to frame him. I think the way OP tries to distance himself from the situation is a little disingenuous, but I doubt this will matter very much anyway.

Agreed.

thegor1987 wrote:Maybe OP lives in a strict state. I wouldn't be surprised if the schools asked for police reports nevertheless

I would find it highly implausible that they would ask for police reports. The few people I know who have had to disclose way more severe charges on their C&F questions haven't been asked for police reports or other information to verify their responses.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:51 am

I hope OP kicked that roommate's ass after that. People like that piss me off.
Last edited by Ragged on Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:00 am

Mustard Blood wrote:
TommyK wrote:

Shitty? Yes.

I'd still beat the crap out of the roommate. I mean, even if he was afraid of getting in trouble, what kind of relationship did he expect to forge with his new roommate by ratting him out to the cops? I mean, that was likely the first thing he did. I guess I simply don't understand--if I were to walk into my new dorm room to find evidence of a good time, and a little pot, I'd probably high-five her and ask if I could smoke the rest of it.

Um... okay. *backs away slowly*

Look, I think everybody would be pissed at the roommate, but you really can't see why the roommate took the actions he did? C'mon...

To all the roommate detractors - let's say you're in law school and it has a strict honor code: If you know of somebody cheating and you fail to report it, you are as guilty as the cheater and punishable to the same level.

Now in this scenario, somebody you don't know very well cheated on a final. While you're fairly sure nobody would ever find out you knew, would you really risk not saying anything? Fuck that. Unless you're my actual brother, I'm not risking my ass for you.

It's a similar situation - you're making a choice: risking your academic status by inaction, or a relationship with some dude by action. Not even close to a difficult situation, my friends.

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:27 am

What a snitch. I mean, what did the roomie think...the cops were going to bust a party that wasn't even going on?

To the OP---don't try to disclaim...say you learned from it and stopped smoking. BS I know.

calvmpv

Postby calvmpv » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:34 am

Hello...I didn't see anyone else comment on this and I didn't want to ruin the thread so I made some small changes (which you will see in brackets). It was mostly just nitpicky grammar stuff, but I think that as long as you're submitting it to law schools, you should probably double-check to make sure it's error-free. Added a few commas as well - just my .02.

Response to Question 15B:

During my sophomore year at BLANK University I hosted a small [party/get-together] in my on-campus apartment. [Early the next morning/The following morning,] my roommate arrived home and found a small amount of [marijuana] in a pipe sitting atop [our kitchen counter]. My roommate called the campus police[, OR and I was later charged with] who later charged me with possession of marijuana and possession of marijuana paraphernalia. I paid a [$1,000] fine and underwent a year of probation, which was completed successfully in 2004.

Though I did not own or smoke the marijuana[,] I accepted responsibility for hosting the party. This incident taught me the importance of taking responsibility [I would not use the word responsibility again - it sounds repetitive] for my own actions and monitoring the [behavior] of others more closely.[/quote]

COMMENT - I agree with the poster who said that the sentence about accepting responsibility sounds sincere. I think it fits the overall tone of your addendum and usually this stuff sounds very disingenuous to me as I read. However, I would slightly alter the sentence where you say that "the incident taught me the importance of taking responsibility" because that part does sound sort of cliche whereas the rest of the addendum, I think, is very well-written.

Also, agree with everyone else...what a douchey roommate! Good luck! :)

smears

Postby smears » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:56 am

Tommy knowing what you know now of course you're correct, but this kid was getting dropped off at his dorm by his parents. What are the odds that he had the state of mind to even comprehend the variance of importance between those two possibilities at his age?

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:25 am

smears wrote:Tommy knowing what you know now of course you're correct, but this kid was getting dropped off at his dorm by his parents. What are the odds that he had the state of mind to even comprehend the variance of importance between those two possibilities at his age?

So you're argument is that it wasn't the wrong decision, but his motives were impure? Eh, okay. I'll have trouble arguing what was going on in somebody else's mind. It's a personal preference for me - when a third person takes an action of which I disapprove and no evidence exists to the person's decision-making process, I would prefer to attribute it to ignorance or a difference in values, as opposed to malice.

imalongshot

Postby imalongshot » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:56 am

TommyK wrote:
smears wrote:Tommy knowing what you know now of course you're correct, but this kid was getting dropped off at his dorm by his parents. What are the odds that he had the state of mind to even comprehend the variance of importance between those two possibilities at his age?

So you're argument is that it wasn't the wrong decision, but his motives were impure? Eh, okay. I'll have trouble arguing what was going on in somebody else's mind. It's a personal preference for me - when a third person takes an action of which I disapprove and no evidence exists to the person's decision-making process, I would prefer to attribute it to ignorance or a difference in values, as opposed to malice.

your* not "you're"

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:38 am

I would not accuse your roommate of calling the police unless you're absolutely sure that he made the call. Doing so could be slanderous. If he was, indeed, with his parents, he may not have acted of his own free well (I can imagine my parents in the same situation and my mother shouting "If you're not going to call the police, I will. My son is not living with a drug addict!"). In any rate, it is unlikely that the police revealed who made the complaint and it is not really possible to determine his or her motives.

Also, you're not really accepting responsibility for "the party," you're accepting responsibility for the drugs and paraphernalia that were left in your apartment.

Thirdly, I pled guilty to a DUI in 2004 (which is often the same category of offence as drug possession), spent a couple of days in jail, paid $1000 fine plus court costs and restitution to the state, had a suspended driver's license for six months, and etc. I have disclosed this on ever app I've submitted, and have not been denied admission because of it to any school (yet), nor have I been asked to supply anything beyond my initial addendum.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:42 am

In at Boalt.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:43 am

imalongshot wrote:
TommyK wrote:

your* not "you're"

Yeah, I think I started writing "you're arguing", and then I edited it to "argument", without editing the you're to your. Thanks for adding something substantive to the conversation. :roll:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”