Mary Jane Addendum Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nodummy

Bronze

Mary Jane Addendum

Post by nodummy » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:15 pm

Do you think this is sufficient?

Thanks.

I would like to make the admissions committee aware of the details surrounding my “Yes” answer to question 15. b. on the Primary application form.

During my sophomore year at BLANK University I hosted a small party in my on-campus apartment. Early the next morning my roommate arrived home and found a small amount of Marijuana in a pipe sitting atop the counter in our kitchen. My roommate called the campus Police who later charged me with possession of Marijuana and possession of Marijuana paraphernalia. I paid a one-thousand dollar fine and underwent a year of probation, which was completed successfully in 2004.

Though I did not own or smoke the Marijuana I accepted responsibility for hosting the party. This incident taught me the importance of taking responsibility for my own actions and monitoring the behaivor of others more closely.

LSATclincher

Bronze

Re: Mary Jane Addendum

Post by LSATclincher » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:20 pm

"Hosting a party" needs to be deleted. That really sucks, too. Sounds like a "b*tch" roomate.

DamnLSAT

Bronze

Post by DamnLSAT » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:21 pm

I'd lose the first sentence. Just title the addendum "Response to question 15b"

Nice roommate though. :/

nodummy

Bronze

Post by nodummy » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:23 pm

LSATclincher wrote:"Hosting a party" needs to be deleted. That really sucks, too. Sounds like a "b*tch" roomate.
Yeah, it was brutal. They didn't tell me I was getting a new roommate. He arrived with his bags, saw the mess, the pot, the pipe, and about an hour later the cops were there getting me out of bed.

What do you mean about "hosting a party?"

mpj_3050

Bronze

Post by mpj_3050 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:30 pm

That is complete crap man. Your roommate was a little bitch and fuck the campus police. Where I went to UG there were MURDERS nearby so all the cops have better shit to do. My roommates would smoke on the porch and the cops drove by and didn't say a word.

As for the addendum, I don't know if you should put in the part about not smoking or owning it. It may sound like you are still making an excuse (I'm not doubting you don't smoke). Plus, it is not exactly the most serious offense so you should be fine because it is one offense and it was a few years ago.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LSATclincher

Bronze

Post by LSATclincher » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:30 pm

I would not mention the fact that you hosted a party. I would not use that language. It makes you seem risky.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:32 pm

lol

Someone just left a random pipe full of weed in your apartment?

Hahahahahah

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:38 pm

do marijuana/police need to be capitalized?

"Though I did not own or smoke the Marijuana" - edit that.

DamnLSAT

Bronze

Post by DamnLSAT » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:40 pm

LSATclincher wrote:I would not mention the fact that you hosted a party. I would not use that language. It makes you seem risky.
So potential law school students aren't allowed to host a party at their apartment? I think that's being a bit too critical.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:42 pm

DamnLSAT wrote:
LSATclincher wrote:I would not mention the fact that you hosted a party. I would not use that language. It makes you seem risky.
So potential law school students aren't allowed to host a party at their apartment? I think that's being a bit too critical.
They most certainly should be allowed to host a party with weed.

albusdumbledore

Silver

Post by albusdumbledore » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:43 pm

The more important question is what did you do to piss your roommate off?

EDIT: Lol. Nevermind. I saw your subsequent post. Still, what a douche.
Last edited by albusdumbledore on Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSATclincher

Bronze

Post by LSATclincher » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:43 pm

DamnLSAT wrote:
I think if you're hosting a party you should be responsible and know who is attending and what kind of activities those people engage in. I just think the language is too detailed and un-needed. It can't help the statement, but it can hurt it.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:45 pm

albusdumbledore wrote:The more important question is what did you do to piss your roommate off?
He threw a weed/booze party and passed out the night before roomie showed up with his folks. Classy.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:48 pm

JazzOne wrote:lol

Someone just left a random pipe full of weed in your apartment?

Hahahahahah
OP has some pretty cool friends. Do they also leave beer and food?

nodummy

Bronze

Post by nodummy » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:48 pm

JazzOne wrote:
albusdumbledore wrote:The more important question is what did you do to piss your roommate off?
He threw a weed/booze party and passed out the night before roomie showed up with his folks. Classy.
No, it was a new roommate...had no idea he was moving in or who he was. Not a good guy, though.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:52 pm

bartleby wrote:do marijuana/police need to be capitalized?

I'm going to go against the grain and say that, if you actually didn't own/smoke the marijuana, I feel like you should keep that sentence. To me it didn't sound like you were making excuses.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:54 pm

For hosting a party during undergrad? Seriously?
kazu wrote:

I'm going to go against the grain and say that, if you actually didn't own/smoke the marijuana, I feel like you should keep that sentence. To me it didn't sound like you were making excuses.
i agree. Although if I were an adcom, smoking pot would make me like you more.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

albusdumbledore

Silver

Post by albusdumbledore » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:58 pm

kazu wrote:

Nah I wouldn't put it in there. Who cares if you don't own or smoke pot. You still got busted for having it. I would get to that sentence and do one of these: :roll:

123kl

Bronze

Post by 123kl » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:04 pm

It's "behavior"

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:04 pm

albusdumbledore wrote:
kazu wrote:

Nah I wouldn't put it in there. Who cares if you don't own or smoke pot. You still got busted for having it. I would get to that sentence and do one of these: :roll:
I just feel like including it makes him sound more willing to take responsibility than omitting it. If he takes that sentence out it just sounds like he's avoiding the subject, and using his roommate/party as an excuse. At least that's how it reads to me - but YMMV obviously.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:52 pm

Depends on the quality

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:54 pm

Hosting a party makes him seem risky? C'mon man! I think it sounds fine. And also - I'd like to echo the general sentiment of this thread - your roommate was a douchebag.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:00 pm

TommyK wrote:

Depends on the quality
Lol

user08132021

Bronze

Post by user08132021 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:01 pm

nodummy wrote:Do you think this is sufficient?

Thanks.

I would like to make the admissions committee aware of the details surrounding my “Yes” answer to question 15. b. on the Primary application form.

During my sophomore year at BLANK University I hosted a small party in my on-campus apartment. Early the next morning my roommate arrived home and found a small amount of Marijuana in a pipe sitting atop the counter in our kitchen. My roommate called the campus Police who later charged me with possession of Marijuana and possession of Marijuana paraphernalia. I paid a one-thousand dollar fine and underwent a year of probation, which was completed successfully in 2004.

Though I did not own or smoke the Marijuana I accepted responsibility for hosting the party. This incident taught me the importance of taking responsibility for my own actions and monitoring the behaivor of others more closely.
Didja say social gathering? Sounds better than party

pattonthicke

Bronze

Post by pattonthicke » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:59 pm

your roomate sucks

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”