How are transfer credits normally calculated in your GPA?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ScottRiqui

How are transfer credits normally calculated in your GPA?

Postby ScottRiqui » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:22 pm

I haven't looked at my undergrad transcripts in over 15 years (I'm having a copy sent to me now). But I think my LSAC-calculated UGPA may be better than I was thinking. Here's the situation:

I went to UT Austin for a year in the EE program, since they didn't offer a B.S. in Computer Science & Engineering at the time. After the first year, I decided I really wanted CS&E, so I transferred to UT Arlington and finished my degree there. I think my GPA when I graduated from Arlington was around 2.9 or so. (Let's just say that twenty years ago, I wasn't the student that I am now :lol: )

Would the grades from the 30-35 hours I took at Austin have been calculated into my GPA at Arlington, or just counted as transfer credits? I know that LSAC will count *everything*, and I think my average when I left Austin was higher than 2.9, so this may end up helping me out.

radio-edit

Re: How are transfer credits normally calculated in your GPA?

Postby radio-edit » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:37 pm

I'd guess your 2.9 is for Arlington only. I transferred to UT Austin, and they don't include my transfer credits in my GPA - but that was only three years ago and I was coming from an out-of-state private school, not another school in the UT system. If you want to be sure you should probably call and ask.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”