Lock me please

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
FiveSermon

Re: Hooker Addendum, Military Discharge

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:18 am

gwuorbust wrote:
boushi wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:Edit: Also, don't listen to the above poster. She is coming from an emotional viewpoint because she studied about the human trafficking side of this, which is not your issue. My $.02

I'm not coming from an emotional standpoint. I don't know enough about the OP to make any reasonable judgment about him or his situation on any ethical or moral level. All I know about is what he wrote here. Based on that writing, I think adcoms will be scratching their heads about what exactly he did and what he learned from it. The Ivey guide, the TLS guide, and probably just about every other guide on the subject warn about exactly that problem -- coming across as dismissive of past troubles. There is a difficult line to draw between too much disclosure and not enough, but if the OP should probably err on the side of more disclosure and not let the adcom simply assume the worst.

This isn't some little, "bump in the road," ooops, I got a bad grade because I partied too hard. This is a major, life-changing incident that occurred as a direct result of the OP's choices.

No. No they won't.

Adcoms care about three things: LSAT, GPA, URM status.

an short, honest explanation will be fine.

You forgot legacy and multiple offenses.

niederbomb

Can I write an addendum for both a low GPA and a low LSAT sc

Postby niederbomb » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:02 am

Last edited by niederbomb on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

fundamentallybroken

Re: Hooker Addendum Military people please help!!!

Postby fundamentallybroken » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:14 am

niederbomb wrote:Last draft combining earlier versions with fundamentallybroken's suggestions:

I received a General “under honorable conditions” discharge from the Army in XXX 20XX after I voluntarily resigned following allegations of violating USFK Regulation 27-5’s prohibition against paying bar fines and frequenting off-limits entertainment establishments. I now work for an international nonprofit organization where my specific duties include exam tutoring and visa consulting. I learned a great deal from my military experience and look forward to pursuing the study of law.

I contacted the Ivey Consulting Company. Hopefully, I should get something done. In the meantime, I'm submitting this to the Duke priority track in a few minutes.

It's not contrite, and it doesn't admit guilt. But maybe that's better.

That's much better than your earlier versions. It covers what was alleged, when it was alleged, what the final outcome was, and how you've moved on.

starbucksjunkie

Postby starbucksjunkie » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:18 am

originalmutt wrote:
How do you know the girl was underage, and how do you know she was a slave? That's gross speculation. I doubt this guy would have slept with an underage slave.

So are all you moralizers saying you've never done anything wrong before? C'mon folks, everyone makes mistakes. Isn't getting discharged from the military punishment enough? Are you saying he should he be punished for the rest of his life?

I'm not defending what he did. But, by the same token, I dont care for the grand standing going on here. Get an effing life.

If you had the ability to comprehend what you read you would understand that I didn't claim she was underage or a slave but their was a good possibilities she was and that she started out in the industry as a slave. How the heck would you know what he would have or wouldn't have done? All we know is here is an unremorseful officer, who tossed everything away, set a horrible example example, and patronized an establishment that promotes human trafficking all because he couldn't keep it in his pants? Doesn't sound like he has much character or judgement at all.

Even if the girl was of age and wanted to be there, he broke the rules and supported human slavery by purchasing this girl from a bar. His buddies and subbordinates that saw it feel entitled to do the same. So the industry will keep tricking these girls into beings sold by their families or coming to be an entertainer, and then get stuck at these bars when the bar owners demand outrageous fees and confiscate their ID, passports, etc. He is deluded enough to think they were "dating" and that GIs patronizing these places "rescue' them? Thats sick.

I don't have a problem at all if he met some hooker on the street and paid her directly. Then he would know she was consenting. But no, he paid someone else.

I never made any claims to be perfect. I have to say the closest I have to come to supporting slavery is buying sneakers or making a purchase from wal-mart 6ish years ago.

I didn't see he needed to be punished for life by saying I don't want to sit next to him in class. I'm not advocating any punishment, but I do think he should stop being a douche about it and people(some men on this forum) should treat this situation with a bit more respect. Seriously, lawyers are joking about a guy that paid someone else for use of another person's body? Thats really sad.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:23 am

Time to ask the mods to lock this thread. I didn't ask for a sermon...

Thanks to everyone who contributed positively!

starbucksjunkie

Postby starbucksjunkie » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:27 am

Too bad, you predator. Its unbelievable how little people care about this stuff. At least when its not in their backyard and its an expendable foreign girl, not their sister or daughter.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:31 am

Last edited by niederbomb on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

albusdumbledore

Re: can i write adendum for a low gpa AND Lsat score?

Postby albusdumbledore » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:32 am

starbucksjunkie wrote:
originalmutt wrote:
How do you know the girl was underage, and how do you know she was a slave? That's gross speculation. I doubt this guy would have slept with an underage slave.

So are all you moralizers saying you've never done anything wrong before? C'mon folks, everyone makes mistakes. Isn't getting discharged from the military punishment enough? Are you saying he should he be punished for the rest of his life?

I'm not defending what he did. But, by the same token, I dont care for the grand standing going on here. Get an effing life.

If you had the ability to comprehend what you read you would understand that I didn't claim she was underage or a slave but their was a good possibilities she was and that she started out in the industry as a slave. How the heck would you know what he would have or wouldn't have done? All we know is here is an unremorseful officer, who tossed everything away, set a horrible example example, and patronized an establishment that promotes human trafficking all because he couldn't keep it in his pants? Doesn't sound like he has much character or judgement at all.

Even if the girl was of age and wanted to be there, he broke the rules and supported human slavery by purchasing this girl from a bar. His buddies and subbordinates that saw it feel entitled to do the same. So the industry will keep tricking these girls into beings sold by their families or coming to be an entertainer, and then get stuck at these bars when the bar owners demand outrageous fees and confiscate their ID, passports, etc. He is deluded enough to think they were "dating" and that GIs patronizing these places "rescue' them? Thats sick.

I don't have a problem at all if he met some hooker on the street and paid her directly. Then he would know she was consenting. But no, he paid someone else.

I never made any claims to be perfect. I have to say the closest I have to come to supporting slavery is buying sneakers or making a purchase from wal-mart 6ish years ago.

I didn't see he needed to be punished for life by saying I don't want to sit next to him in class. I'm not advocating any punishment, but I do think he should stop being a douche about it and people(some men on this forum) should treat this situation with a bit more respect. Seriously, lawyers are joking about a guy that paid someone else for use of another person's body? Thats really sad.

That's an awfully high horse you're sitting on up there.

starbucksjunkie

Postby starbucksjunkie » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:33 am

Go for it. Doesn't change anything just because someone told you what you don't want to hear.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:36 am

This is the most epic edit job ever. Well done OP, adcomms need not know about the hos

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:37 am

As long as you explain that your GPA and LSAT don't reflect your academic potential as much as your discharge. Also, loved the edit. IBTL.

starbucksjunkie

Postby starbucksjunkie » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:38 am

albusdumbledore wrote:

Not really. You can't do better than an ad hominem attack really? You think this kinda thing is ok?

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:40 am

starbucksjunkie wrote:
albusdumbledore wrote:

Not really. You can't do better than an ad hominem attack really? You think this kinda thing is ok?

It's funny, because your response is an ad hominem. I get it.

boushi

Postby boushi » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:42 am

starbucksjunkie wrote:
originalmutt wrote:

I think this is largely credited. At the outset of this thread, I withheld judgment on the OP and even tried to help him (while encouraging him to be forthcoming). But it now seems clear that the insincere tone from his OP was probably more a reflection of his true thinking than a problem with drafting a statement. Sure, the path of less disclosure may be "prudent" in a lawyerly, self-preserving fashion, but that doesn't make it right. To that extent, I sort of regret offering any feedback at all; however, I still think he'll probably get what he deserves from most of the schools he's applying to. Despite the hewing and hawing to the contrary, admissions really aren't just a numbers game (note the birdlaw poster who claimed as much was subsequently outright rejected by chicago while others with worse or similar numbers were waitlisted).

Also, this thread has been floating conspicuously on TLS's front page long enough that I'm sure some adcoms will recognize his app, whether he locks the thread now or not.

starbucksjunkie

Postby starbucksjunkie » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:44 am

Kabuo wrote:
starbucksjunkie wrote:
albusdumbledore wrote:

It's funny, because your response is an ad hominem. I get it.

Now you are just circumventing the argument but your right, I don't care if you think its ok. Its not.

christmas mouse

Postby christmas mouse » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:46 am

niederbomb wrote:but really1?

according to the website, they say i can write andendum if i my lsat doesnt "accurately reflect my academic ability."

so srsiouly? does a splitter like me have a chance at Stanford?

159/2.1

159/2.1 with no moral qualms about paying for sex? sounds to me you should ED straight into BigLaw. Why waste 3 years with law school when you're already a shoe-in for equity partner at all the V5's?

albusdumbledore

Postby albusdumbledore » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:53 am

starbucksjunkie wrote:
albusdumbledore wrote:

Please, spare me with the fallacy nonsense. :roll:. I didn't say it was ok. The guy came here asking for help on an addendum though, not some ridiculous moral diatribe from somebody who is clearly context ignorant in this case.

starbucksjunkie

Postby starbucksjunkie » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:56 am

albusdumbledore wrote:
starbucksjunkie wrote:
albusdumbledore wrote:

Please, spare me with the fallacy nonsense. :roll:. I didn't say it was ok. The guy came here asking for help on an addendum though, not some ridiculous moral diatribe from somebody who is clearly context ignorant in this case.

I did give him advice on his addendum. I also advised him to stop making excuses and try to think about why it was wrong so he can explain himself if he has to. I'm allowed to have a problem with his attitude. Its all relevant.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:02 am

starbucksjunkie wrote:
albusdumbledore wrote:
starbucksjunkie wrote:
albusdumbledore wrote:

I did give him advice on his addendum. I also advised him to stop making excuses and try to think about why it was wrong so he can explain himself if he has to. I'm allowed to have a problem with his attitude. Its all relevant.

I'm confused, it was wrong?

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:04 am

Last edited by niederbomb on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

albusdumbledore

Postby albusdumbledore » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:06 am

starbucksjunkie wrote:I did give him advice on his addendum. I also advised him to stop making excuses and try to think about why it was wrong so he can explain himself if he has to. I'm allowed to have a problem with his attitude. Its all relevant.

Nobody cares if you think it was wrong. And you called him a predator and suggested that he'd do something similar again. All of which was unnecessary. The only thing relevant is what he writes on the addendum because that is why he came. Once again, NOBODY CARES IF YOU THINK HE WAS WRONG

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:09 am

niederbomb wrote:[
oh also does anyone know how brooklin compares to New york university in getting big LAW jobs? lawschool numbers says im a "weak consider."

OP, stop acting like an idiot on purpose. Most of your posts were quoted by others in this thread; if adcoms looked through this thread, they would easily see what it was really about. They would also see your attempt to mask the content of this thread, which looks terrible and further reinforces the "I didn't learn anything from my experience" narrative that has developed.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:15 am

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
oh also does anyone know how brooklin compares to New york university in getting big LAW jobs? lawschool numbers says im a "weak consider."

OP, stop acting like an idiot on purpose. Most of your posts were quoted by others in this thread; if adcoms looked through this thread, they would easily see what it was really about. They would also see your attempt to mask the content of this thread, which looks terrible and further reinforces the "I didn't learn anything from my experience" narrative that has developed.

This is wrong.

niederbomb

Re: Lock me please

Postby niederbomb » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:17 am

Time to ask the mods to lock this thread. I didn't ask for a sermon...

Thanks to everyone who contributed positively!

starbucksjunkie

Postby starbucksjunkie » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:17 am

Those Darn Feminists!

niederbomb wrote:
Resigned from the Armed Forces after receiving a letter of reprimand for paying a bar fine at an overseas hostess bar. Although I was not convicted of breaking any laws, I resigned in lieu of possible disciplinary actions. I left "under honorable conditions.”

I made a serious personal mistake that hurt me professionally. I signed a contract to abide by the Uniformed Code of Military Justice, and I violated a direct order during my off-duty time. I realize the regulation exists to help prevent human trafficking, and I was wrong to violate it. I have learned the importance of conducting myself morally and professionally in my personal life as well as at work.

niederbomb wrote:Here's a thought:
What if I noted in passing that I was dating this "bar girl"? That way, it doesn't sound quite as bad as if I was just an ordinary whoring American GI.

In the small towns up near the DMZ, there really aren't any other women (even GI's since it's an Infantry Division), we're rarely allowed to go to Seoul, and it's quite common for GI's to develop real relationships with these girls, rescue them from the establishments, and marry them.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”