Is Law School a Losing Game?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Miracle

Re: Is Law School a Losing Game?

Postby Miracle » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:50 pm

In case you didn't know about it, there is one started by some Vandy people.
http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/[/quote

According to Lawschooltransparency, if you graduate within 75th percentile of Cardozo you earn 160,000? That doesn't seem accurate.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:07 pm

ISTAND wrote:Who else thinks ResolutePear is A-N-N-O-Y-I-N-G? :idea: :roll:

I don't care what you or anybody else thinks. I hope that helps.

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:13 pm

Miracle wrote:In case you didn't know about it, there is one started by some Vandy people.

According to Lawschooltransparency, if you graduate within 75th percentile of Cardozo you earn 160,000? That doesn't seem accurate.

Agreed. The Lawschooltransparency data may be more accurate that what the schools themselves advertise, but its way too optimistic to be correct.

NZA

Postby NZA » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:17 pm

lawschooliseasy wrote:
Miracle wrote:In case you didn't know about it, there is one started by some Vandy people.

Agreed. The Lawschooltransparency data may be more accurate that what the schools themselves advertise, but its way too optimistic to be correct.

Data are self-reported for LST, correct? That would already throw some strange bias in there, probably even more than regular rankings/statistics, since those that would go out of their way to report are more likely to be making tons of skrillah.

2Serious4Numbers

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:19 pm

NZA wrote:
lawschooliseasy wrote:

Data are self-reported for LST, correct? That would already throw some strange bias in there, probably even more than regular rankings/statistics, since those that would go out of their way to report are more likely to be making tons of skrillah.

yup.

androstan

Postby androstan » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:21 pm

You are reading the data incorrectly. To have 160k be the 75th percentile means that 25% of those reporting reported an income of 160k.

Additionally, only 66.6% have a known salary range, which means 16.5% of Cardozo grads are KNOWN to have reported a salary of 160k. That doesn't seem outlandish considering this data is pre-ITE and Cardozo's local market is NYC.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:24 pm

androstan wrote:

You are reading the data incorrectly. To have 160k be the 75th percentile means that 25% of those reporting reported an income of 160k.

Additionally, only 66.6% have a known salary range, which means 16.5% of Cardozo grads are KNOWN to have reported a salary of 160k. That doesn't seem outlandish considering this data is pre-ITE and Cardozo's local market is NYC.

Cardozo was just an example. Albany as a TTT $100,000+ . The numbers just don't add up. I'm sorry

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:28 pm

Miracle wrote:Cardozo was just an example. Albany as a TTT $100,000+ . The numbers just don't add up. I'm sorry

You think that less than 9% of their grads who graduated in 2008 making over $100k doesn't add up?

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:33 pm

bk1 wrote:
Miracle wrote:Cardozo was just an example. Albany as a TTT $100,000+ . The numbers just don't add up. I'm sorry

You think that less than 9% of their grads who graduated in 2008 making over $100k doesn't add up?

Law school != Math school

androstan

Postby androstan » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:36 pm

FFS

pre-ITE I don't think top 10% getting 100k from Albany is crazy.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:41 pm

androstan wrote:FFS

A lawyer actually holding a job is crazy. It has been a dead profession since it's inception. RUN FOR YOUR LIFE.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:44 pm

bk1 wrote:

You're clearly missing the point. All I was is saying is that there are lot of salary stats are reported that seem questionable. Now you can agree or disagree that's up to you.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:44 pm

I have started to seriously reconsider attending. My other options are, deferring for a year and feeling out the economy, or accepting a full/near-full scholly from a T1 rather then attending a lower T-14 (NDCG) at sticker or close to sticker price.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:45 pm

Then 10% at T-14 should be getting 250K :wink:

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:46 pm

Miracle wrote:

I really hope the wink implies sarcasm considering how dense your other posts were.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:51 pm

bk1 wrote:
Miracle wrote:

I really hope the wink implies sarcasm considering how dense your other posts were.

Why is that? You feel like someone at Albany should be making the same amount as someone from T-14 considering that Albany is a TTT school?

transmetropolitan

Postby transmetropolitan » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:52 pm

has the reaction by Columbia officials to this article been noted yet? both curious at how quickly they jumped on this and whether or not the Times truly erred:

--LinkRemoved--

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:53 pm

Miracle wrote:Why is that? You feel like someone at Albany should be making the same amount as someone from T-14 considering that Albany is a TTT school?

--ImageRemoved--

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:57 pm

transmetropolitan wrote:has the reaction by Columbia officials to this article been noted yet? both curious at how quickly they jumped on this and whether or not the Times truly erred:

--LinkRemoved--

What the hell is this:

Jason plans to attend the University of Southern California law school in the fall.

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/gssc/faces/bohn-jason.shtml

The many faces seems about right for this guy. It appears like he took a few legal classes while at Columbia and said he attended columbia law which isn't true.
Last edited by Unitas on Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

androstan

Postby androstan » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:04 pm

Miracle wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Miracle wrote:

Why is that? You feel like someone at Albany should be making the same amount as someone from T-14 considering that Albany is a TTT school?

Trolling.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:07 pm

transmetropolitan wrote:has the reaction by Columbia officials to this article been noted yet? both curious at how quickly they jumped on this and whether or not the Times truly erred:

--LinkRemoved--

Interesting

HarlandBassett

Postby HarlandBassett » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:13 pm

Unitas wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

What the hell is this:

Jason plans to attend the University of Southern California law school in the fall.

The many faces seems about right for this guy. It appears like he took a few legal classes while at Columbia and said he attended columbia law which isn't true.

So this guy went to Columbia undergrad, Columbia grad school, UoF Law on a full scholarship, took some courses at Columbia Law, and now doing his NYU LLM in tax c/o 2012. He's all over the place with his career trajectory.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:14 pm

HarlandBassett wrote:
Unitas wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

What the hell is this:

So this guy went to Columbia undergrad, Columbia grad school, UoF Law on a full scholarship, took some courses at Columbia Law, and now doing his NYU LLM in tax c/o 2012. He's all over the place with his career trajectory.

He's also bitching about being 200k+ in debt. How the hell did he get into law any school being that dumb?

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:15 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:
HarlandBassett wrote:
Unitas wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

What the hell is this:

He's also bitching about being 200k+ in debt. How the hell did he get into law any school being that dumb?

He is attending NYU-maybe he's not dumb after all.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:19 pm

Miracle wrote:He is attending NYU-maybe he's not dumb after all.

I know some NYU students and grads. Your argument does not hold up.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”