Is Law School a Losing Game? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Gold

Re: Is Law School a Losing Game?

Post by 20130312 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:27 am

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
HarlandBassett wrote:Debt-Laden Law Grad Featured in NYT Article on Perils of Law School Suspected of Murder

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/06/debt-lad ... of-murder/
Holy shit.
WHOA. Tagging for the holy shit.

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:54 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
HarlandBassett wrote:Debt-Laden Law Grad Featured in NYT Article on Perils of Law School Suspected of Murder

Holy shit.
The fact that he is on the run makes this so much more intense.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:59 am

Gotta hand it to the ATL commenters: "On the bright side, he's been offered admission into Tulane's L.L.M. program."

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:39 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Gotta hand it to the ATL commenters: "On the bright side, he's been offered admission into Tulane's L.L.M. program."
I lol'd.

Bronze

Post by 1776 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:03 pm

I don't understand why people don't research law school more before taking outs six figures. That whole attitude of expecting a bailout is egregious. I understand that enacting more restrictions for federal loans may lock some people out of certain law schools and colleges, maybe it should be considered because clearly kids are making poor decisions. Then again, people should make better decisions and take responsibility/suffer the consequences of their decisions. I think it would be wrong to just forgive everyone of their loans, but the government shouldn't just blindly give money to teenagers. It's a tough call, but I think student loans is an issue the government needs to review. Both sides need to be more responsible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:17 pm

1776 wrote:I don't understand why people don't research law school more before taking outs six figures. That whole attitude of expecting a bailout is egregious. I understand that enacting more restrictions for federal loans may lock some people out of certain law schools and colleges, maybe it should be considered because clearly kids are making poor decisions. Then again, people should make better decisions and take responsibility/suffer the consequences of their decisions. I think it would be wrong to just forgive everyone of their loans, but the government shouldn't just blindly give money to teenagers. It's a tough call, but I think student loans is an issue the government needs to review. Both sides need to be more responsible.
So you're thinking forgiving this kid's loans may have kept him from murdering someone?

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:58 pm

ahnhub wrote:So you're thinking forgiving this kid's loans may have kept him from murdering someone?
It's known as The Homicidal Tendencies Forgiveness Act.

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:00 pm

1776 wrote:I don't understand why people don't research law school more before taking outs six figures. That whole attitude of expecting a bailout is egregious. I understand that enacting more restrictions for federal loans may lock some people out of certain law schools and colleges, maybe it should be considered because clearly kids are making poor decisions. Then again, people should make better decisions and take responsibility/suffer the consequences of their decisions. I think it would be wrong to just forgive everyone of their loans, but the government shouldn't just blindly give money to teenagers. It's a tough call, but I think student loans is an issue the government needs to review. Both sides need to be more responsible.
I totally agree with you. But I also believe a bailout will definitely happen. Within 10 you'll see a massive forgiveness of student loans.

jas1503

Bronze

Post by jas1503 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:26 pm

abc12345675 wrote:
I totally agree with you. But I also believe a bailout will definitely happen. Within 10 you'll see a massive forgiveness of student loans.
Yeah, In 10 years the government's going to be like: "F*** Money! We're all going back to the barter system solely from now on"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:07 pm

You can't lose a game where you were never dealt the cards in the first place.

jcccc

Bronze

Post by jcccc » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:23 am

So the moral of the story is...
Only Harvard and Yale 100% guarantee BigLaw jobs?

EdgarWinter

Bronze

Post by EdgarWinter » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:27 am

jcccc wrote:So the moral of the story is...
Harvard's C/O 2011 included 30ish people employed in school-funded bullshit positions iirc. Hope they're enjoying dat Haavahd degree. Yale had some too but I think Yale's always had some (supposedly legit) school-funded fellowships.

jcccc

Bronze

Post by jcccc » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:30 am

EdgarWinter wrote:
Harvard's C/O 2011 included 30ish people employed in school-funded bullshit positions iirc. Hope they're enjoying dat Haavahd degree. Yale had some too but I think Yale's always had some (supposedly legit) school-funded fellowships.
Oh yea, I bet those 30ish people are definitely regretting going to Harvard Law.
Damn, what a horrible life decision. Dat Haaavahd degree.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:56 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
SchopenhauerFTW wrote:

Holy shit.

God there are some fucked up Columbia grads... One pro se litigant Columbia grad stalker I observed last summer in Fed court (in prison for crazy stalking), a Judge who went to Columbia law and then got thrown in jail for stalking his ex and threatening her (essentially), this douche bag fucker (in the article) who went to undergrad at Columbia, and one of the biggest asshole kids I ever knew (who I'm sure is a psycho in his own right) who went to Columbia... Fuck Columbia. Just sayin'

jas1503

Bronze

Post by jas1503 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:16 am

Lawquacious wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
SchopenhauerFTW wrote:

Holy shit.

God there are some fucked up Columbia grads... One pro se litigant Columbia grad stalker I observed last summer in Fed court (in prison for crazy stalking), a Judge who went to Columbia law and then got thrown in jail for stalking his ex and threatening her (essentially), this douche bag fucker (in the article) who went to undergrad at Columbia, and one of the biggest asshole kids I ever knew (who I'm sure is a psycho in his own right) who went to Columbia... Fuck Columbia. Just sayin'
You Columbia also go?

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:50 am

abc12345675 wrote: I totally agree with you. But I also believe a bailout will definitely happen. Within 10 you'll see a massive forgiveness of student loans.
Not as long a the AARP set is the bigger voting block, or, once the majority of AARP members are still working on paying off their student loans.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:35 am

EdgarWinter wrote:
Harvard's C/O 2011 included 30ish people employed in school-funded bullshit positions iirc. Hope they're enjoying dat Haavahd degree.
Not to mention the couple of dozen people who took state level clerkships.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HarlandBassett

Bronze

Post by HarlandBassett » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:17 pm

http://gothamist.com/2012/06/30/abusive ... irlfri.php
The 33-year-old lawyer accused of killing his girlfriend in a rage was arrested at a diner in White Plains last night. Jason Bohn, who had a history of abusing Daniell Thomas, was charged with Thomas's murder, plus aggravated criminal contempt, criminal contempt and tampering with evidence. And the Post says that he apparently sent text messages to Thomas' friends from her phone, after killing her.

Police discovered the body of Thomas, 27, in an ice-filled bathtub on Tuesday. But, the Post's sources allege, Bohn "sent a text to one of victim Danielle Thomas's contacts early Sunday morning after her friends expressed concern over her well-being, a source said... Thomas, 27, was already dead when the messages went out and that Bohn kept her body on ice in their Astoria bathtub until cops found it on Tuesday night."

One of the texts said, "Please trust me," and Bohn, pretending to be Thomas, allegedly wrote that she was fine and was going to the gay pride parade. The Post reports, "Thomas’ friends said the messages from the Weight Watchers exec’s phone included words and phrasings that Thomas never used, the first source said. 'She never talked like that,' the source said. 'That’s something he’d say.'"

Police Commissioner Kelly had said that Bohn called cops, saying, "we had a dispute, I threw her against the wall and somebody should go check to see if she's alright." It was determined that Thomas was killed by strangulation and blunt force trauma. Thomas, a financial analyst at Weight Watchers, had been brutally beaten by Bohn in late May and when she appeared at the 114th Precinct to ask for a restraining order in early June, her bruises were still evident. While at the police station, police could hear Bohn yelling at Thomas through her cellphone, "It’s war! I’ll dedicate my life to hunting you down like a dog in the streets. I am going to make your life impossible."

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:06 pm

Lawquacious wrote: God there are some fucked up Columbia grads... One pro se litigant Columbia grad stalker I observed last summer in Fed court (in prison for crazy stalking), a Judge who went to Columbia law and then got thrown in jail for stalking his ex and threatening her (essentially), this douche bag fucker (in the article) who went to undergrad at Columbia, and one of the biggest asshole kids I ever knew (who I'm sure is a psycho in his own right) who went to Columbia... Fuck Columbia. Just sayin'
Did you enjoy NYU?

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:08 pm

HarlandBassett wrote:http://gothamist.com/2012/06/30/abusive ... irlfri.php
Police Commissioner Kelly had said that Bohn called cops, saying, "we had a dispute, I threw her against the wall and somebody should go check to see if she's alright." It was determined that Thomas was killed by strangulation and blunt force trauma.
Ah, the George Huguely defense. GL w/ that one

jas1503

Bronze

Post by jas1503 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:44 pm

HarlandBassett wrote:http://gothamist.com/2012/06/30/abusive ... irlfri.php
The 33-year-old lawyer accused of killing his girlfriend in a rage was arrested at a diner in White Plains last night. Jason Bohn, who had a history of abusing Daniell Thomas, was charged with Thomas's murder, plus aggravated criminal contempt, criminal contempt and tampering with evidence. And the Post says that he apparently sent text messages to Thomas' friends from her phone, after killing her.

Police discovered the body of Thomas, 27, in an ice-filled bathtub on Tuesday. But, the Post's sources allege, Bohn "sent a text to one of victim Danielle Thomas's contacts early Sunday morning after her friends expressed concern over her well-being, a source said... Thomas, 27, was already dead when the messages went out and that Bohn kept her body on ice in their Astoria bathtub until cops found it on Tuesday night."

One of the texts said, "Please trust me," and Bohn, pretending to be Thomas, allegedly wrote that she was fine and was going to the gay pride parade. The Post reports, "Thomas’ friends said the messages from the Weight Watchers exec’s phone included words and phrasings that Thomas never used, the first source said. 'She never talked like that,' the source said. 'That’s something he’d say.'"

Police Commissioner Kelly had said that Bohn called cops, saying, "we had a dispute, I threw her against the wall and somebody should go check to see if she's alright." It was determined that Thomas was killed by strangulation and blunt force trauma. Thomas, a financial analyst at Weight Watchers, had been brutally beaten by Bohn in late May and when she appeared at the 114th Precinct to ask for a restraining order in early June, her bruises were still evident. While at the police station, police could hear Bohn yelling at Thomas through her cellphone, "It’s war! I’ll dedicate my life to hunting you down like a dog in the streets. I am going to make your life impossible."
:lol: This just keeps getting worse...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HarlandBassett

Bronze

Post by HarlandBassett » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:04 pm

setting up the defensive strategy....

Police say that they have recovered two handwritten notes at Bohn's apartment in which he allegedly confesses to the murder: "“It was an accident, it was an accident, it was an accident," one started.

"I had been drinking and I was drunk when I got home," the note read. "She was already asleep. I woke up and there was fighting between us, and when I woke up again she was unconscious. I am sorry.” The second note allegedly read, “Dani, I will love you forever.” Police discovered the body of 27-year-old Thomas in an ice-filled bathtub on Tuesday; Bohn called them the same day to say he had gotten into an argument with Thomas and threw her against a wall. Bohn also apparently sent text messages to Thomas' friends from her phone, after killing her.
http://gothamist.com/2012/07/01/abusive ... r_conf.php

JJJ123

New

Post by JJJ123 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:31 pm

This thread is a reading comprehension fail:
Jason Bohn, who received his J.D. from the University of Florida, is earning $33 an hour as a legal temp while strapped to more than $200,000 in loans, nearly all of which he accumulated as an undergraduate and while working on a master’s degree at Columbia University.

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:23 pm

JJJ123 wrote:This thread is a reading comprehension fail:
Jason Bohn, who received his J.D. from the University of Florida, is earning $33 an hour as a legal temp while strapped to more than $200,000 in loans, nearly all of which he accumulated as an undergraduate and while working on a master’s degree at Columbia University.
Thank you for that.

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:25 pm

JJJ123 wrote:This thread is a reading comprehension fail:
I don't understand. What was the reading comprehension fail?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”