Question About Whether or Not to Mention This in App

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lurker9001
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:01 pm

Question About Whether or Not to Mention This in App

Postby Lurker9001 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:21 pm

Hello everyone. I started undergrad wanting to get into medical school but eventually met a few people who opened my eyes to law and politics. I quickly gained an interest and became extremely interested in politics specifically. I was pretty far into pre-med though and had the stats to get into a top medical school but I knew it was not my calling. I switched to studying LSATs and did well and am now ready to apply.

The thing is I began college majoring in biology and psychology, preparing for a medical career and while I kept my majors I am now applying to law school. I am wondering if I should mention that I was ever pre-med or just say I chose my majors because I have a sincere interest in them and knew that for law school it is best to go with whatever major you think you will succeed in. I am hesitant to mention ever having been pre-med because I know it is a common switch and I do not want to appear indecisive or undedicated. My reasons for switching is a bit controversial and not particularly telling of my character otherwise I would write my PS about it.

Any tips or information you might be able to share would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you VERY much.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Question About Whether or Not to Mention This in App

Postby JazzOne » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:31 pm

Lurker9001 wrote:Hello everyone. I started undergrad wanting to get into medical school but eventually met a few people who opened my eyes to law and politics. I quickly gained an interest and became extremely interested in politics specifically. I was pretty far into pre-med though and had the stats to get into a top medical school but I knew it was not my calling. I switched to studying LSATs and did well and am now ready to apply.

The thing is I began college majoring in biology and psychology, preparing for a medical career and while I kept my majors I am now applying to law school. I am wondering if I should mention that I was ever pre-med or just say I chose my majors because I have a sincere interest in them and knew that for law school it is best to go with whatever major you think you will succeed in. I am hesitant to mention ever having been pre-med because I know it is a common switch and I do not want to appear indecisive or undedicated. My reasons for switching is a bit controversial and not particularly telling of my character otherwise I would write my PS about it.

Any tips or information you might be able to share would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you VERY much.

Go to med school.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Question About Whether or Not to Mention This in App

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:34 pm

Lurker9001 wrote:Hello everyone. I started undergrad wanting to get into medical school but eventually met a few people who opened my eyes to law and politics. I quickly gained an interest and became extremely interested in politics specifically. I was pretty far into pre-med though and had the stats to get into a top medical school but I knew it was not my calling. I switched to studying LSATs and did well and am now ready to apply.

The thing is I began college majoring in biology and psychology, preparing for a medical career and while I kept my majors I am now applying to law school. I am wondering if I should mention that I was ever pre-med or just say I chose my majors because I have a sincere interest in them and knew that for law school it is best to go with whatever major you think you will succeed in. I am hesitant to mention ever having been pre-med because I know it is a common switch and I do not want to appear indecisive or undedicated. My reasons for switching is a bit controversial and not particularly telling of my character otherwise I would write my PS about it.

Any tips or information you might be able to share would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you VERY much.


i would not go out of my way to mention or not mention this at all. where in the app would you even talk about this (aside from structuring your PS around it?)? adcomms wont really care about what you majored in...in fact, having a hard science background may help you a bit as some schools are a tad more lenient in netting up some science majors

they dont care whether you wanted to go pre-med before or not...unless you have some really compelling story behind your decision (doesnt sound like there is)...just dont mention it

Lurker9001
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:01 pm

Re: Question About Whether or Not to Mention This in App

Postby Lurker9001 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:44 pm

JazzOne wrote:Go to med school.


No no no no no no. If I have to spend 8 more years in school and residency for something I have only an interest in, not a passion for, I will have a miserable life.


DoubleChecks wrote:i would not go out of my way to mention or not mention this at all. where in the app would you even talk about this (aside from structuring your PS around it?)? adcomms wont really care about what you majored in...in fact, having a hard science background may help you a bit as some schools are a tad more lenient in netting up some science majors

they dont care whether you wanted to go pre-med before or not...unless you have some really compelling story behind your decision (doesnt sound like there is)...just dont mention it



Thank you for your response. I thought that not mentioning it might be a bit dishonest but I do have a legitimate interest in my majors so I may just briefly mention that in my PS without mentioning ever having been pre-med.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Question About Whether or Not to Mention This in App

Postby JazzOne » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:00 pm

Lurker9001 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:Go to med school.


No no no no no no. If I have to spend 8 more years in school and residency for something I have only an interest in, not a passion for, I will have a miserable life.

Suit yourself. Be careful what you wish for though. lol

User avatar
achilles
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:08 am

Re: Question About Whether or Not to Mention This in App

Postby achilles » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:25 pm

You don't need to tell adcomms you were premed, and I don't think telling them would help or hurt really. And I definitely don't think that not telling them would be seen as hiding anything. I switched my major, oddly enough, from bio to psych and finally classics. There are plenty of bio and psych majors applying to law schools, so they won't be questioning your interest




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], junegabriel92, loslakers and 3 guests