LSAT Addendum -- Keep it or trash it?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Bless

LSAT Addendum -- Keep it or trash it?

Postby Bless » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:36 pm

Loyola-Chicago's app suggests to explain why you have various LSAT scores in an attachment. Should I submit this with with all my applications? I came up with the following:

First and foremost, I offer no excuse for my LSAT performance. Scoring both a 151 and a 159, I am not proud of my LSAT numbers, but I do confidently stand behind them. While I admirably agree that the test is oftentimes a strong indicator of an applicant’s competency, I am certain that I did not fulfill my capacity both times when taking the test. To be blunt, my LSAT scores are a disaster by my own admission, and I accept all responsibility.

When I initially took the LSAT in June 2009, I was ill-prepared. Juggling classes at the time, I neglected my LSAT studies. Like all college classes, mine were demanding, but not so much for me to have left such an important task in studying for the LSAT unattended. Undoubtedly, my LSAT preparation required much more time than I had devoted, and my first score of a 151 certainly mirrors that. I honestly believed that I was adequate enough to score high on the test, and was devastatingly disappointed in finding out otherwise. I definitely learned to not take any assignment for granted after that.

A year and a half later, I graduated with my bachelor’s and as planned, I began devoting a great deal of time to the LSAT. For several months, I spent long hours of training for the test—reading books, practicing questions, and taking tests. Unquestionably, I prepared as best as I possibly could have, and my progress reflected that I would certainly score in the mid 160s or higher. And I didn’t.

Absolutely bombing one of the sections of the test (reading comprehension), my score will forever be tainted as a 159. I have no explanation to give as to clarify why I missed fourteen questions on the particular section. In missing that many questions on only one section, I’m fortunate that my strong performance in other areas of the test left enough margin for error allowing me to score as high as I did.

I believe that with my entire application considered, I am still a solid candidate for some of the top law schools in the country. After all, a 159 isn’t an awful score, though I did expect one much higher. In the end, I accept full responsibility for my LSAT scores, and I am convinced that it will neither academically nor professionally adversely affect my tenure in law.

Applying to schools such as Miami, Temple, FSU, etc. Should I include this with my applications? I already submitted all of the others a few days ago without it. Thanks.
Last edited by Bless on Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandro

Re: LSAT Addendum -- Keep it or trash it?

Postby Sandro » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:39 pm

Way too long - didn't even read it. Thats almost as long as a personal statement. 1 or 2 paragraphs max IMO.

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:42 pm

Sandro777 wrote:Way too long - didn't even read it. Thats almost as long as a personal statement. 1 or 2 paragraphs max IMO.

I agree. Also, it's a little dramatic for an a addendum. Best to keep it simple.

Bless

Postby Bless » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:43 pm

Really? It only took up a page double-spaced.

emmbar53

Postby emmbar53 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:44 pm

Sandro777 wrote:Way too long - didn't even read it. Thats almost as long as a personal statement. 1 or 2 paragraphs max IMO.

+1

Make it simple. Leave out EVERYTHING about your practice tests being higher than 159 and thinking you should have scored better.

Simply state you didn't prepare sufficiently when you got a 151, and then performed better with more preparation.

Bless

Postby Bless » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:45 pm

emmbar53 wrote:

+1

Make it simple. Leave out EVERYTHING about your practice tests being higher than 159 and thinking you should have scored better.

Simply state you didn't prepare sufficiently when you got a 151, and then performed better with more preparation.

Cool.

Thanks for the feedback everybody.

quetzal_bird

Postby quetzal_bird » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:52 pm

This is really a terrible way to market yourself and I would not send any part of this addendum. You were disappointed, you feel you could have done better, and one section on your retake stood out in causing you problems. Its time to move on or retake. It sounds like, if you were PTing higher and only one section messed you up, that you could really benefit from a retake. If you choose to apply with your scores, then don't make excuses for the 159. You can use the addendum to explain why schools should overlook the 151, but not both scores.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:00 pm

Personally, I would be hesitant to send anything to an adcomm with the phrases "absolutely bombed" and "my score will be forever tainted"... you can probably come up with more mature and professional language to describe how badly you did.

Bless

Postby Bless » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:11 pm

quetzal_bird wrote:This is really a terrible way to market yourself and I would not send any part of this addendum. You were disappointed, you feel you could have done better, and one section on your retake stood out in causing you problems. Its time to move on or retake. It sounds like, if you were PTing higher and only one section messed you up, that you could really benefit from a retake. If you choose to apply with your scores, then don't make excuses for the 159. You can use the addendum to explain why schools should overlook the 151, but not both scores.

I am retaking. Good feedback. Thank you.

quetzal_bird

Postby quetzal_bird » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:23 pm

Good luck! Don't be too hard on yourself, I hope it works out well.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:35 pm

Get rid of it completely. If you really want to make no apologies for your LSAT score, then make no apologies for your LSAT score. Whatever you say can't really help you.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”