Addendums Needed? - Took semester off and LSAT score

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
feyonce

Addendums Needed? - Took semester off and LSAT score

Postby feyonce » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:30 pm

A couple questions about addendums... I spent most of my undergrad with an eating disorder, and in and out of treatment. I did have to take a semester off for eating disorder treatment, but I still graduated on time and wound up with a GPA of 3.69. I plan to write an addendum addressing why I took the semester off, but would it be appropriate to also discuss how my GPA would have been much higher had I not been so ill? I waited a year and a half after graduating before applying to law school, and I am now recovered.

Additionally, I'm wondering whether I should write an addendum for my LSAT score? I received a 163 for my LSAT score, but I was sexually assaulted three weeks prior to taking the LSAT so was not performing at my best. Overall, this has just motivated me even more to become a lawyer, but I still was not as functional at the time of the test as I otherwise would have been, and I also was unable to spend as much time studying beforehand as I would have liked.

Any tips or thoughts on either or both of these matters would be greatly appreciated! I'm not sure at all what to do, and I don't want to sound like I'm just making excuses. Thanks so much in advance!!

feyonce

Re: Addendums Needed? - Took semester off and LSAT score

Postby feyonce » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:46 am

Any thoughts? I could really use some advice. Thanks again!

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:49 am

if you aren't a flame, you should retake the LSAT. i'm sorry you were sexually assaulted and that is terrible, and law school adcoms will empathize with that but they cannot just assume you would have gotten a 175. why don't you get a 175 next time, and then they'll just totally discount the 163?

i think your GPA is pretty solid at 3.69. about the eating disorder, i don't want to sound like a jerk but why should they believe it will not shoot back up and influence your performance in law school? i'd be weary of "explaining" such a decent GPA.

SMA22

Postby SMA22 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:02 am

I agree with the above poster; to start out, I'm very sorry that you were assaulted and hope that you have a good support system behind you. You deserve it!

Likely, you will need to explain not your UGPA, but the "interruption in studies for one term or more." It's absolutely your call, but I agree with the above poster--you may just say you took time off to deal with an illness. No need to explain your GPA.

As for the LSAT, don't let this person steal your thunder. When you are ready, I'd consider retaking the LSAT. I agree with justadude55--an addendum would be most useful if it had a second score to compare your first score up against. If you decide to go ahead and apply, you may do an addendum, but remember that what happened to you is nobody's business unless you want it to be, so do not feel pressured into talking about what happened if you don't want to.

Good luck to you, okay?

feyonce

Postby feyonce » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:25 pm

Thank you guys so much for your responses! You're awesome. I'm definitely not a flame, but I can see why you might think I am. I appreciate that you two responded nonetheless! I would like to go to law school in fall of 2011, would it make sense to retake the LSAT in February, and just make sure to note on my applications that I will be? I know February is often too late, but if my application was complete aside from this do you think it would be ok? I would NOT like to let somebody else steal my thunder, and I really want to do my best!

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:50 pm

yes, you should absolutely retake if you'd break a 170. they aren't going to assume you'd get a 170. you can't blame them for this, because while they have no reason not to take you at your word for the assault, anyone can say they were prepping in the 170s. also, in terms of their ranking, USNEWS is not going to count your 163 as a 175.

even if Feb is too late at some schools, if you can show documentation of the sexual assault, and say I really want to go to your school and intended to take the Dec LSAT, but was sexually assaulted. i greatly apologize for the inconvenience, but is it possible i can apply with my Feb score? I did not ask to be sexually assaulted, and would be deeply heartbroken if it influenced my capacity to begin law school next year or become a lawyer.

rules are very important to law schools, but this would be a profoundly special situation and the schools would have to be pretty douchey to disqualify you, because you were sexually assaulted. if it just comes up as an excuse for your low score, i might do a double take and think "wtf?".

feyonce

Postby feyonce » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:20 pm

So I need a little bit more advice. :D

I'm starting to get freaked out about my applications since it is so late in the game. I know I can break 170 on the LSAT, and since I'm a URM I also feel like I could probably get good scholarships -- if I applied early enough. However, obviously, my mind has been all over the place due to the assault and I am really behind. I'm thinking about just waiting until the next cycle to apply, and taking the June LSAT, but I feel sort of like I'm taking the easy way out. Any thoughts on whether I should stick with this cycle, and take the February LSAT, or whether I should just wait until next year? Thanks again! I really appreciate all of the help.

SMA22

Postby SMA22 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:26 pm

I'm also a rape crisis intervention counselor; please, give yourself some time to recover from what has happened to you and make sure you have a strong support system before attending law school. Nothing could be worse than enrolling in a school not of your choosing at too high a price too soon and dealing with the trauma of what happened on top of the stress of law school. Law school will be there in another year, and you will certainly be better prepared next year from an admissions standpoint, and hopefully with a lot less stress. Good luck to you!

feyonce

Postby feyonce » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:45 pm

That's what I'm thinking, thanks for the feedback. It's nice to hear it from someone else as well, so I don't feel so "weak" or whatever! I really admire that you work as a intervention counselor, that is AWESOME!!!

mala2

Postby mala2 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:36 pm

Last edited by mala2 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

SMA22

Postby SMA22 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:39 pm

feyonce wrote:That's what I'm thinking, thanks for the feedback. It's nice to hear it from someone else as well, so I don't feel so "weak" or whatever! I really admire that you work as a intervention counselor, that is AWESOME!!!

You are definitely NOT weak :D In fact, I think it is awfully strong of you to step back, take some time for yourself, and then conquer law school--very intelligent decision. The extra cycle is going to go by so quickly that you won't even notice it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”