Provisionally Accredited Schools

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dvb689

Provisionally Accredited Schools

Postby dvb689 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:51 am

Can someone please enlighten me: what does a provisionally accredited status mean for prospective students? Is it worth even applying to a school under such an accreditation when other options are available (i.e. attending a fully accredited school)? Thanks for any input in advance!

sophia.olive

Re: Provisionally Accredited Schools

Postby sophia.olive » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:57 am

i would not

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:47 am

Ahh Irvine... So Cal, so nice...

I should go down there and do some serious due dilligence. Their faculty ratings are through the roof. They claim they dropped a 3.61/167 median for their inaugural class. There seems to be no doubt whatsoever that they will be accredited. And I might be able to buy a full ride with my numbers. If UCLA accepts me, I'll head down there and scope it out. Since it's a hell of a lot warmer there than it is in Chicago right now anyhow.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:18 am

ahduth wrote:Ahh Irvine... So Cal, so nice...

I should go down there and do some serious due dilligence. Their faculty ratings are through the roof. They claim they dropped a 3.61/167 median for their inaugural class. There seems to be no doubt whatsoever that they will be accredited. And I might be able to buy a full ride with my numbers. If UCLA accepts me, I'll head down there and scope it out. Since it's a hell of a lot warmer there than it is in Chicago right now anyhow.

You wont be able to "buy a full ride with [your] numbers" because they don't give them. The school gives uniform scholarships. I think the entire class of 2014 is supposed to get 1/3 tuition scholarships.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:42 am

Aqualibrium wrote:

You wont be able to "buy a full ride with [your] numbers" because they don't give them. The school gives uniform scholarships. I think the entire class of 2014 is supposed to get 1/3 tuition scholarships.

Ah yeah, you're right, I thought they were just straight out buying numbers. Oh well, best of luck to them.

ViP

Postby ViP » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:29 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:

Actually, each member of the class of 2014 is guaranteed at least a 1/3 tuition scholarship. If your application is strong enough, you may be eligible for a higher scholarship.

ViP

Postby ViP » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:35 pm

dvb689 wrote:Can someone please enlighten me: what does a provisionally accredited status mean for prospective students? Is it worth even applying to a school under such an accreditation when other options are available (i.e. attending a fully accredited school)? Thanks for any input in advance!

From the ABA:

"With provisional ABA approval, the schools are entitled to all the rights of fully-approved law schools and their graduates will be entitled to the same recognition as graduates of fully-approved law schools. Graduation from an ABA-approved law school satisfies the educational requirement for eligibility to sit for the bar examination in every U.S. jurisdiction.

"Provisional approval is the first step toward full ABA approval. A new law school is not eligible to apply for provisional approval until it has been in operation a full year. When it applies, it must establish that it is in substantial compliance with each of the ABA Standards for Approval of Law Schools and present a reliable plan for bringing the school into full compliance with the standards within three years. A school remains on provisionally-approved status for at least three years, but must achieve full approval within five years, unless extraordinary circumstances justify an extension."

http://apps.americanbar.org/abanet/medi ... easeid=359

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:56 pm

ViP wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

Actually, each member of the class of 2014 is guaranteed at least a 1/3 tuition scholarship. If your application is strong enough, you may be eligible for a higher scholarship.

I stand corrected. Thought it was uniform.

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:01 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:

Not true, I am aware of 2 people who have full rides as part of the 2nd class and there may be more that I don't know about. The scholarship amounts are a minimum amount and some students may be offered additional money. But I suspect it may be more than just a numbers thing - I don't know for certain what the criteria is.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”