Letters of Rec

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
admisionquestion
Posts: 473
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:16 am

Letters of Rec

Postby admisionquestion » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:37 am

I have 4 LOR questions: I am applying next cycle I have numbers for SCCN so LOR's are going to be a relevant tipping point...

1. I am super stuck on deciding what to do. I have 2 professors I have worked with extensively (done lots of research with), 1 high status employer who will write me something awesome and very personalized, 1 employer who is working with me on a prestigious scholarship project and 1 employer who I have known since early in hs and would write me gold. All the jobs are related to academic work but not law itself really. I know that I cannot send 5 LOR's so how do I best use these opportunities. Here are some options I can think of, only send 2,3,4 depending on the schools desires and chop the "worst" one, send all 5, have each of my employers write school specific LOR'S to 1 to each of Stan Chi Colum etc. What do you all think?

2. What makes a great LOR? "Best" language seems like a give but what else? Any good resources to review?

3. If a professor is from a certain school in SCC is there ANY bonus in having them write that LOR?

4. Any deadly sins of LOR I need to know about?

If there is a good LOR sticky/book out there someone link it pretty pretty please.

mala2
Posts: 225
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:39 am

Re: Letters of Rec

Postby mala2 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:58 am

............
Last edited by mala2 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

admisionquestion
Posts: 473
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:16 am

Re: Letters of Rec

Postby admisionquestion » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:45 pm

Anyone else? I feel like this is a fairly legit question.

User avatar
megaTTTron
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: Letters of Rec

Postby megaTTTron » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:56 pm

admisionquestion wrote:I have 4 LOR questions: I am applying next cycle I have numbers for SCCN so LOR's are going to be a relevant tipping point...

1. I am super stuck on deciding what to do. I have 2 professors I have worked with extensively (done lots of research with), 1 high status employer who will write me something awesome and very personalized, 1 employer who is working with me on a prestigious scholarship project and 1 employer who I have known since early in hs and would write me gold. All the jobs are related to academic work but not law itself really. I know that I cannot send 5 LOR's so how do I best use these opportunities.


Use profs first if you're straight out. Use Employer, then profs if you have WE.

admisionquestion wrote:Here are some options I can think of, only send 2,3,4 depending on the schools desires and chop the "worst" one, send all 5, have each of my employers write school specific LOR'S to 1 to each of Stan Chi Colum etc. What do you all think?


First of all, you likely won't be seeing any of these letters, as the recommenders send them directly to LSAC. And Second, school specific letters are ALWAYS better, but you don't want to stretch your recommenders too thin by requiring them to write multiple letters. I used all general letters, except from alumni.

admisionquestion wrote:2. What makes a great LOR? "Best" language seems like a give but what else? Any good resources to review?

What? This only matters if you're writing it for the recommender.

admisionquestion wrote:3. If a professor is from a certain school in SCC is there ANY bonus in having them write that LOR?


Yes, alumni letters are a bump.

admisionquestion wrote:4. Any deadly sins of LOR I need to know about?

Make sure your whose recommenders who like you. It's not unheard of for profs to send "realistic" LORs reflecting poorly on the student. Just use good judgment, don't ask a prof you mouthed off to.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger, ND2018, t-14orbust and 6 guests