THEY accepted me and YOU denied me?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JaLeCa

THEY accepted me and YOU denied me?

Postby JaLeCa » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:27 am

Ok, I want to create this thread because it just hit me. A top 40 school waitlisted me (given it is not an acceptance but hey) and a school that is teetering on being a TTT (by like 2 places) flat out denied me. Hurnh?

If you were surprised by a rejection because you were already accepted at a much better school- please list here. You don't neccesarily have to out the school, but it is more fun if you do. (At least the reject school)

rinkrat19

Re: THEY accepted me and YOU denied me?

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:34 am

That's yield protection. The TTT doesn't think you'd seriously consider going there, and schools like to have as many of their admits as possible actually matriculate. They don't want to give offers to a bunch of applicants who likely consider themselves overqualified and will likely withdraw and go somewhere higher-ranked.

2Serious4Numbers

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:35 am

So this is just a place where people discuss being YP'd...?

/thread.

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:39 am

Nope. I was at/below their 25th.....

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:40 am

JaLeCa wrote:Nope. I was at/below their 25th.....

In that case, why is the rejection a surprise? It sounds more like the WL at the higher-ranked school is the anomaly.

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:42 am

Lawquacious wrote:

In that case, why is the rejection a surprise? It sounds more like the WL at the higher-ranked school is the anomaly.

Rejection wasn't a surprise. The contrast was.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:44 am

JaLeCa wrote:Ok, I want to create this thread because it just hit me. A top 40 school waitlisted me (given it is not an acceptance but hey) and a school that is teetering on being a TTT (by like 2 places) flat out denied me. Hurnh?

If you were surprised by a rejection because you were already accepted at a much better school- please list here. You don't neccesarily have to out the school, but it is more fun if you do. (At least the reject school)

Some schools WL everyone.

coolstorybro.jpg

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:46 am

rad law wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:Ok, I want to create this thread because it just hit me. A top 40 school waitlisted me (given it is not an acceptance but hey) and a school that is teetering on being a TTT (by like 2 places) flat out denied me. Hurnh?

coolstorybro.jpg

THAT would make sense. There goes my hope and dreams.

2Serious4Numbers

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:47 am

UNC for example. Yellow lsn dots are plentiful

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:48 am

JaLeCa wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:

Well gratz on the WL- hopefully that will eventually become an option (but of course it can't be counted on by any means).

I got one reject from a school that I was way above median for on LSAT which felt like a slap in the face. Quite sure that was a yield protect though, especially considering that school jumped in the rankings recently (yield protecting can help with selectivity rating). Also prob didn't help that I essentially asked in my PS for a full scholly though lol.

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:49 am

2Serious4Numbers wrote:UNC for example. Yellow lsn dots are plentiful

*Goes and double checks the plentiness of yellow dots*

Welp, there you have it

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:51 am

Lawquacious wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:

Well gratz on the WL- hopefully that will eventually become an option (but of course it can't be counted on by any means).

I got one reject from a school that I was way above median for on LSAT which felt like a slap in the face. Quite sure that was a yield protect though, especially considering that school jumped in the rankings recently (yield protecting can help with selectivity rating). Also prob didn't help that I essentially asked in my PS for a full scholly though lol.

Well, I was ok on gpa, and I figured I could slide in on softs because my lsat was kind of near...but I guess since they are on the brink of TTT-dom, that they couldn't accept the likes of me

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:56 am

JaLeCa wrote:Well, I was ok on gpa, and I figured I could slide in on softs because my lsat was kind of near...but I guess since they are on the brink of TTT-dom, that they couldn't accept the likes of me

Think I know who you speak of, and yeah - protecting themselves from TTT-dom.

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:56 am

fundamentallybroken wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:Well, I was ok on gpa, and I figured I could slide in on softs because my lsat was kind of near...but I guess since they are on the brink of TTT-dom, that they couldn't accept the likes of me

Think I know who you speak of, and yeah - protecting themselves from TTT-dom.

Lol, I want to know if you're right

2Serious4Numbers

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:58 am

Brink of TTT? You shouldn't have even given them serious consideration. T3reality is not a joke.

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:00 am

2Serious4Numbers wrote:Brink of TTT? You shouldn't have even given them serious consideration. T3reality is not a joke.

That's why I didn't care about the rejection. I was just considering the location. Pricetag sucks anyway.

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:58 am

JaLeCa wrote:
2Serious4Numbers wrote:Brink of TTT? You shouldn't have even given them serious consideration. T3reality is not a joke.

That's why I didn't care about the rejection. I was just considering the location. Pricetag sucks anyway.

But.. you're at the 25th percentile for TTT schools. That means you're likely even worse at T2.

I don't understand this topic.

Xnegd

Postby Xnegd » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:14 am

Seattle Univ rejected me, UCLA Wait listed me...

still surprised, you'd think they'd at least WL me for YP...

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:52 am

Hasn't happened to me, but if you look at lawschoolnumbers.com, a lot of people get WL at UVA or rejected at Boalt but get into Harvard. My friend, who's a Texas resident, got into Penn but got rejected from UT Austin.

Yield protection + holistic admissions can make weird stuff happen.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:49 am

niederbomb wrote:Hasn't happened to me, but if you look at lawschoolnumbers.com, a lot of people get WL at UVA or rejected at Boalt but get into Harvard. My friend, who's a Texas resident, got into Penn but got rejected from UT Austin.

UVA has to admit 40% in state, and, even crazier, UT can only admit 35% OOS (so, 65% in state.) UCB probably operates along somewhat similar lines because it's another public university, whereas Harvard is a private school. I think this is right, but someone correct me if I'm wrong

achilles

Postby achilles » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:12 am

niederbomb wrote:Hasn't happened to me, but if you look at lawschoolnumbers.com, a lot of people get WL at UVA or rejected at Boalt but get into Harvard. My friend, who's a Texas resident, got into Penn but got rejected from UT Austin.

ya UT is funny like that. they have a pretty hard GPA cutoff for non-URM, so usually reject splitters below around 3.5, whereas schools like michigan and penn may accept them

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:18 am

rad law wrote:

coolstorybro.jpg

This. I know Miami does it.

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:02 pm

gens1tb wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:

But.. you're at the 25th percentile for TTT schools. That means you're likely even worse at T2.

I don't understand this topic.

I can at least try. No one is going to shoot me.

bigwillie

Postby bigwillie » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:14 pm

Accepted to GULC, waitlisted at GW. Thought it was kind of weird.

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:14 pm

bigwillie wrote:Accepted to GULC, waitlisted at GW. Thought it was kind of weird.

Maybe they had a residency quota too

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”