What to do when you submit a PS with the WRONG SCHOOL NAME

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kcdc

What to do when you submit a PS with the WRONG SCHOOL NAME

Postby kcdc » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:33 pm

I must have checked a dozen times whether a certain school was the XXX School of Law or XXX Law School. Somehow, I used the wrong one. This is a school that I am very serious about and I put a lot of time into the application. What do I do.

AreJay711

Re: What to do when you submit a PS with the WRONG SCHOOL NAME

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:37 pm

Call and tell them you made an error and ask if they can pull you PS for a new one. It is pretty damning if they review your PS as is.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:41 pm

Hopefully they will understand and disregard the original PS sent if you send them an updated one. You aren't the only person making this mistake. I accidentally sent a recommendation I solicited specifcally for school X to school Y, but contacted them and hopefully it'll turn out and they'll ignore it.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:41 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Call and tell them you made an error and ask if they can pull you PS for a new one. It is pretty damning if they review your PS as is.

+1 I think this might be your only option. Unfortunately, I am not sure if they will pull it without reading and seeing the error. But this happens every year so dont get too down about it.

kcdc

Postby kcdc » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:44 pm

They're closed. Should I email the dean? I think I'm going to email the dean.

kcdc

Postby kcdc » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:52 pm

I mean, this wasn't a copy and pasting error. I just somehow got "School of Law" stuck in my head and didn't even realize the mistake till going on their website after I submitted my application. The entire paragraph is about that school in particular.

They're probably going to see it, even if they let me resubmit. Is this damning?

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:55 pm

Do nothing. Doing anything will only draw attention to your mistake. Lots of apps have mistakes. they've seen this type of mistake before. the time to review the application was before you put it in the mail.

the same old rule applies:

If you have the numbers to get into your school then you will get in. If you do not have the numbers then you will not get in. If it is a reach school then you will also fail to get in. They don't care about your error one way or another. It might make someone smirk for 2 seconds but if you have a 180 you are in even if you wrote the PS in crayon.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:59 pm

kcdc wrote:I mean, this wasn't a copy and pasting error. I just somehow got "School of Law" stuck in my head and didn't even realize the mistake till going on their website after I submitted my application. The entire paragraph is about that school in particular.

They're probably going to see it, even if they let me resubmit. Is this damning?

So if it were a school that was XXX Law School and you wrote XXX School of Law? It probably isn't damning but it would be a strike against you. It could probably wait until Monday.

anthropologieaddict

Postby anthropologieaddict » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:59 pm

MrAnon wrote:Do nothing. Doing anything will only draw attention to your mistake. Lots of apps have mistakes. they've seen this type of mistake before. the time to review the application was before you put it in the mail.

If you have the numbers to get into your school then you will get in. If you do not have the numbers then you will not get in. If it is a reach school then you will also fail to get in. They don't care about your error one way or another. It might make someone smirk for 2 seconds but if you have a 180 you are in even if you wrote the PS in crayon.

I'm sorry, but I do not agree with this at all. Showing interest in a school is very important, if I were you I would follow the other advice ITH and ask them to withdraw your current PS and replace it with a new one. Mistakes happen, I had a typo in my ps and was still accepted, but an entire paragraph on another school is obviously going to get noticed.

kcdc

Postby kcdc » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:02 pm

MrAnon wrote:Do nothing. Doing anything will only draw attention to your mistake. Lots of apps have mistakes. they've seen this type of mistake before. the time to review the application was before you put it in the mail.

I don't know if I have the numbers. I'm applying part-time. Probably not, though-- good LSAT, low GPA in engineering. The rest of my application is very strong.

I'm just going to go in and talk to them on Monday. I DID review the application, probably 20 times. Like I said, I just got the wrong name stuck in my head. It's not even printed at the top of their website, which I've been on about a million times today.

kcdc

Postby kcdc » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:03 pm

anthropologieaddict wrote:

I'm sorry, but I do not agree with this at all. Showing interest in a school is very important, if I were you I would follow the other advice ITH and ask them to withdraw your current PS and replace it with a new one. Mistakes happen, I had a typo in my ps and was still accepted, but an entire paragraph on another school is obviously going to get noticed.

Thanks. No, the entire paragraph is not about another school. The entire paragraph is about them and one program in particular. I just messed up the name because this has been the longest week of my life and I'm still at work at 9pm on a Friday.

kcdc

Postby kcdc » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:05 pm

kcdc wrote:
anthropologieaddict wrote:

Thanks. No, the entire paragraph is not about another school. The entire paragraph is about them and one program in particular. I just messed up the name because this has been the longest week of my life and I'm still at work at 9pm on a Friday.

BTW, that was a sincere "Thanks", not sarcastic... for some reason when I went back and reread it looked sarcastic.

I need to get off this computer.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:09 pm

kcdc wrote:Thanks. No, the entire paragraph is not about another school. The entire paragraph is about them and one program in particular. I just messed up the name because this has been the longest week of my life and I'm still at work at 9pm on a Friday.

I can feel you on that. I'm at work 8 am - 11 pm. I'd hate to be sending in apps at the same time.

Helicio

Postby Helicio » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:26 pm

kcdc wrote:I must have checked a dozen times whether a certain school was the XXX School of Law or XXX Law School. Somehow, I used the wrong one. This is a school that I am very serious about and I put a lot of time into the application. What do I do.

Email the Dean. Also, send a brief note to the admissions office explaining your mistake. In the note, mention your work experience for brownie points.

Problem solved.

kcdc

Postby kcdc » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:38 pm

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I did end up emailing the dean, and received a very gracious and understanding response. Makes me want to go to the school even more!

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:04 pm

I don't mean to be a killjoy, but just keep in mind that there may be real negative ramifications to this typo. For instance, I submitted an addendum for an app with a small typo in it, having nothing to do with school name even. I wrote the school an email about it and they wrote back like, this will be added to your file blah blah, and I haven't heard a thing back from them when I thought I'd get in. I've also read dean interviews where they say this type of mistake is the "quickest way to get yourself a waitlist or rejection". I know I'm playing the devil's advocate right now, but maybe just don't set all your hopes and dreams on this one school because shit happens.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”