LSN = Not as good of a tool as I once thought...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ClancyTom

LSN = Not as good of a tool as I once thought...

Postby ClancyTom » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:03 pm

I just noticed today that LSN only uses your most recent LSAT to create the triangles on it's graphs. And, when you click on people's profiles, it only shows their most recent LSAT as well.

This is a problem if you get admitted to a school or schools before your retake(s).

For example:

Hypothetical Situation A: Your original LSAT is a 167, and you get into Cornell & Texas EA. You retake the LSAT in december and get a 164. Now it appears to all who visit LSN that you got into Cornell & Texas with a 164, thus giving some poor chaps out there false hope. And even if they look at your profile they won't see the 167.

Hypothetical Situation B: Your original LSAT is a 167, and you get into Cornell & Texas EA. You retake and get a 171. Now people may not realize that it's possible to get in with your original score, potentially getting them falsely discouraged.

Did other people realize this potential downside, or is this just another "cool story bra" episode?

bdubs

Re: LSN = Not as good of a tool as I once thought...

Postby bdubs » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:05 pm

I think it actually takes your highest LSAT, not your most recent.

I just tried this by adding a score of 150 to my profile and my LSAT didn't change on the profile page.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:06 pm

ClancyTom wrote:Did other people realize this potential downside, or is this just another "cool story bra" episode?

This. I didn't realize this problem, if it is true, but it is pretty irrelevant considering few of the dots on LSN would actually have this problem.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Situation A never happens because people use their high scores even if they shouldn't. B isn't so big of a problem because there will be other people with similar numbers to fill out the picture. It does happen though that people get dinged before a re-take, creating scary red where they would have been in.

ClancyTom

Postby ClancyTom » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:12 pm

There are probably even more people who were waitlisted with a, say 168, and then retook in february to get off the waitlist but, even though they got a higher score, never did. So that would be a problem too.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:13 pm

LSN has a search function that is supposed to let you filter out retakers...............but it doesn't work.

pu_golf88

Postby pu_golf88 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:13 pm

Plus, usually people score higher on a retake.

It could be a downside, but I look at people's profiles with numbers similar to mine and would notice if their retake were higher. So it could cause a little disappointment, but that's about it.

ClancyTom

Postby ClancyTom » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:16 pm

It could be a downside, but I look at people's profiles with numbers similar to mine and would notice if their retake were higher. So it could cause a little disappointment, but that's about it.

Unless I'm mistaken, their profile doesn't show a retake unless they write it in text in their comments.

weejonbu

Postby weejonbu » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:17 pm

I would also take into account the fact that people leave their accounts unfinished. I.e., they fill everything out until January or even December in some cases, but never let you know what the end of the story was. I think that is actually pretty common.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:17 pm

I thought LSN automatically averaged your LSATs and displayed that in the profile and used it as the dot? Don't remember tough.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:18 pm

weejonbu wrote:I would also take into account the fact that people leave their accounts unfinished. I.e., they fill everything out until January or even December in some cases, but never let you know what the end of the story was. I think that is actually pretty common.

It is.

The waiting just makes people not care anymore. Plus they've already gleaned as much info as they can from LSN.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:19 pm

bk1 wrote:I thought LSN automatically averaged your LSATs and displayed that in the profile and used it as the dot? Don't remember tough.

That only shows up for the user, the publicly displayed LSAT is always the highest.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:55 am

Somewhat tangential, but has anyone in here experienced LSN not adding their dot to the graph? For instance, when I look at some acceptance graphs, my dot is there, but for two schools, it's not. Strange, no? No biggie, but it just seems weird.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:16 am

there are also a bunch of fake accounts.....
and people dont follow through with their profile, meaning result of waitlists.
a lot of people also dont fill out when they applied.
oh and... people post fake numbers for privacy......
also people who make accounts are probably more likely to be the people who retake the lsat if need be...
also people with bad numbers that get accepted may be less inclined to post...
also people with great numbers that dont get in might be less inclined...
also people might get into their dream school and forget about updating from cloud nine...

in the end though it is the best source we have.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”