How Formulaic - It's Only Numbers

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JLR

Re: How Formulaic - It's Only Numbers

Postby JLR » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:52 pm

kazu wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Would you like to make other true but nonresponsive relies to my post?

Eh, that wasn't directed at you, I was just annoyed that OP kept ignoring a valid answer to his question.

Right now, probably about 175 people on TLS and we have come up with two people who fit the bill. (1.1%) by my calculation (assuming, of course, all are reading this thread which I am sure is not true). Is that responsive.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:00 pm

JLR wrote:
kazu wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Would you like to make other true but nonresponsive relies to my post?

Eh, that wasn't directed at you, I was just annoyed that OP kept ignoring a valid answer to his question.

Right now, probably about 175 people on TLS and we have come up with two people who fit the bill. (1.1%) by my calculation (assuming, of course, all are reading this thread which I am sure is not true). Is that responsive.

What, do you want everyone to come in just to say "no"? I think the dearth of responses is your answer.

JLR

Postby JLR » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:01 pm

I agree.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:04 pm

If you want to see how likely it is over all, go to LSN and run a search. At most schools there are no students below both medians. HYS and Boalt seem to be the exceptions. But even then it requires massive softs, or just really close to both medians. It makes sense. HYS aren't trying to raise their medians. If they wanted to they could have 175/4.0 medians but they don't care.

swfangirl

Postby swfangirl » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:05 pm

I did slightly better than my numbers and have mediocre softs. No idea why. But it happens.

fragged

Postby fragged » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:20 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:Sorry if this comes across as bitchy, but I'm beginning to think that even if I get a mid-170s LSAT, getting into UT with a 2.9 engineering GPA that's 20 years old is going to require me to hang out at burning orphanages hoping for a kid to rescue.

You don't sound bitchy - it's understandably frustrating to spend this much time, effort and money applying only to be held back by a GPA that likely doesn't reflect the kind of student you will be in law school.

Think about it. You can buy a house, charge up your credit cards, then stop paying all your bills, file BK, and it's off your record in 10 years like it never happened. But you get a 2.9 in college 12 years ago, or even 20 years ago, and it follows you to the grave.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:27 pm

JLR wrote:
kazu wrote:

Wasn't one of the people you're citing just someone that someone else mentioned they'd heard of? That percentage is hardly accurate if it is, not to mention that it's hardly accurate if it isn't.

JLR

Postby JLR » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:39 pm

I agree as well. For example, I did not account for the number of anecdotal accounts of non accepts of those not on TLS but known to TLS users. My point is simply that the percentage is low, really low and if below both medians, softs etc, no matter how good, will not save you.

swfangirl

Postby swfangirl » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:45 pm

It's mostly by the numbers because most people's accomplishments outside of numbers aren't any "better" than any other applicant's. The average applicant is average.

JLR

Postby JLR » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:50 pm

Now that it is much later in the cycle, please post if you have been accepted (not waitlisted) at any school where you are a non URM and you are below BOTH medians.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:56 pm

20+ schools. DEAD ON for what the predictors say.
edit- applied to reach,target, and safety schools, and applied within each tier.
Last edited by txadv11 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leopardRAWR

Postby leopardRAWR » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:08 pm

I was accepted to Chicago with an LSAT 1 point below median and gpa .01 below median. My softs are average at best, probably below average.

JLR

Postby JLR » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:10 pm

Sort of asking a different question -- not how accurate are the predictors-- but rather how many (if any) have been accepted as non URM's below both medians. I suspect that if one is in that boat, no amount of softs etc. really makes any difference at all to boost one over the double death bar.

JLR

Postby JLR » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:14 pm

leopardRAWR - you are the first to meet the criteria and post. Congratulations.

leopardRAWR

Postby leopardRAWR » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:24 pm

Thanks. However, I was as close to the medians as I could possibly get without being at them. I don't think someone with numbers further below the medians would've had as much luck.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:32 pm

Hannibal wrote:Barbie here got into UIUC with a decent scholly, below both medians and I think below one 25th. She has two huge softs though.

*waits for joke*

What did she do? Cure cancer?

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:42 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
Hannibal wrote:Barbie here got into UIUC with a decent scholly, below both medians and I think below one 25th. She has two huge softs though.

*waits for joke*

No, but I think she did survive cancer. Unless I am confusing her with someone else.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:43 pm

applepiecrust wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

*waits for joke*

No, but I think she did survive cancer. Unless I am confusing her with someone else.

That should make for a good personal statement and I feel great for her but I don't see how that's an amazing soft :shock:

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:57 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
applepiecrust wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

*waits for joke*

That should make for a good personal statement and I feel great for her but I don't see how that's an amazing soft :shock:

I didn't say that's one of the two amazing softs Hannibal mentioned. I don't know what he meant/I don't really remember Barbie's profile too well.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:00 pm

JLR wrote:At this stage of the cycle, I am curious to know who, if anyone, and where someone has received an acceptance at a school where the applicant is a non URM and below both medians? A great deal of time, effort and money is spent working on and analyzing PS's, softs, etc. However, at least at this stage, I suspect it is a numbers game only and I suspect the responses to this thread will confirm it.

Yeah, below both medians at Michigan (around both 25ths, actually), but I was ED.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:03 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
applepiecrust wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

*waits for joke*

Well if that's why her numbers were subpar than I think that's a pretty damn good explanation. Especially in comparison to "I had a rough adjustment freshman year" or "I had too many commitments and let my grades slip", etc.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:05 pm

Well if that's why her numbers were subpar than I think that's a pretty damn good explanation. Especially in comparison to "I had a rough adjustment freshman year" or "I had too many commitments and let my grades slip", etc.

That's a good addendum not a good soft. Also wouldn't explain below median LSAT score unless she took the test while she was undergoing treatment for cancer or recovering from it (which would be weird).

OverDrama

Postby OverDrama » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:13 pm

Forgive me this is probably very naive but doesn't a median mean that half of the numbers in the set are below it? Where do the bottom half of the numbers come from? Are all of them splitters reverse splitters and/or URMs?

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:14 pm

OverDrama wrote:Forgive me this is probably very naive but doesn't a median mean that half of the numbers in the set are below it? Where do the bottom half of the numbers come from? Are all of them splitters reverse splitters and/or URMs?

Median is different from mean.

OverDrama

Postby OverDrama » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:16 pm

Median is different from mean.[/quote]
Yes I know that unintended pun, I meant doesn't a median refer to the middle number of a set of numbers/

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”