How Formulaic - It's Only Numbers Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
emhellmer

Bronze

Re: How Formulaic - It's Only Numbers

Post by emhellmer » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:29 pm

Hannibal wrote:Barbie here got into UIUC with a decent scholly, below both medians and I think below one 25th. She has two huge softs though.

*waits for joke*
Oh, excellent point! I'll keep that in mind when I draft my LOCI's :lol:

stheskier

New

Post by stheskier » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:30 pm

JLR wrote:Folks - trying to keep this on point. I am focusing on exceptions to auto rejects (below both medians, non URM), not anything else. Not splitters, reverse splitters or softs. ANYONE below both medians and a non URM who has an acceptance?
I think the people in this category are still waiting for answers. Their apps are most likely sitting in maybe piles right now.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:30 pm

JLR wrote:Folks - trying to keep this on point. I am focusing on exceptions to auto rejects (below both medians, non URM), not anything else. Not splitters, reverse splitters or softs. ANYONE below both medians and a non URM who has an acceptance?
Like Hanni said, TLS user Barbie. Below both medians at UIUC, non-URM, got in. She did have exceptional softs though. PM her for more info.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:30 pm

bk187 wrote:
What are you on about?

Are you seriously asking for someone below both medians who has no softs that got in? Someone who has literally nothing going for them?
OK, JLR, the only reason I wrote in this thread was because it's a generally accepted notion that the LSAT is worth a lot more weight than a GPA. If you have a GPA AND an LSAT below both medians, you probably wouldn't be a very good fit at that school anyway

ScarryBakhtin

Bronze

Post by ScarryBakhtin » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:30 pm

Paulina, in the schools you just mentioned you are above at least one of their medians.

To the OP. Most Law Schools have reasonably large class sizes and want to ensure those graduating end up with jobs. Law is a profession. Numbers allow law schools to give themselves a statistical indicator of how students will perform. Similarly, those same numbers affect school's ranking and, thus, how their graduates will be placed. Like the LSAT itself, the entire process is reasonably transparent, ruthless, and simplistic. If an applicant with numbers below medians worked for TFA or received a prestigious scholarship (Rhodes, Fullbright, etc.) schools are more convinced that said applicant has an edge when it comes to finding something to do after law school.

If you are looking for a more subjective, less "formulaic," option, I would strongly encourage you to apply to graduate programs in the humanities. PhD programs especially are so small that they look for students whose unique narratives and strong recommendations convince schools that a student will finish the program and spend years after doing whatever it takes to find a job.

Finally, and I'm not sure how well this will be received. Many, if not most, of the applicants who are on TLS aren't the few select students below medians being accepted. Those students couldn't have written such heartfelt PS's and gotten such serious recs if they even caught a scent of some of the cynicism present on these pages. The hand full of applicants who make it though do so because they believe they can, not because they are pragmatic.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JLR

New

Post by JLR » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:31 pm

bk187 - no. I am simply suggesting that no matter how good one's softs are, they cannot overcome being below both medians.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:33 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:So no, I don't have MS's and PhD's and my LSAT (95th percentile when I took it) was on the low end of most schools I applied to, but I think the fact that I worked so damn hard in college really reflects my ability to succeed in graduate school, which is why I think I was accepted to these schools with a "subpar" LSAT.
Your hard work in college is reflected in your GPA, which they like. You're acting like the average 4.0/167 has a hard time snagging lower T14's, which is not true.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:33 pm

JLR wrote:bk187 - no. I am simply suggesting that no matter how good one's softs are, they cannot overcome being below both medians.
I wasn't joking about Barbie.
Last edited by Hannibal on Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:33 pm

JLR, I agree. I think it would be a rare case if this were to happen. Or the person ED'd.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:34 pm

Hannibal wrote:
JLR wrote:bk187 - no. I am simply suggesting that no matter how good one's softs are, they cannot overcome being below both medians.
I wasn't joking about Barbie.
This...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:34 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:JLR, I agree. I think it would be a rare case if this were to happen. Or the person ED'd.
Even ED doesn't save you from the kiss of death (below both medians).

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:35 pm

Barbie should have been autodinged for her TTT book. Truly atrocious.

Shooter

Bronze

Post by Shooter » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:35 pm

I'm sorry. Did everyone completely disregard my comment?

Harvard accepts white males below both medians. Done, end of discussion. Softs (provided they are exceptional) can make a difference. It is just extremely rare.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Barbie should have been autodinged for her TTT book. Truly atrocious.
Did you guys actually read it?

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:38 pm

Maybe this is a topic for another thread, but in a battle between a white male and a white female, all other things constant in their application, does the female really get the advantage?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:38 pm

Shooter wrote: Harvard accepts white males below both medians. Done, end of discussion. Softs (provided they are exceptional) can make a difference. It is just extremely rare.
Extremely rare is an understatement. :P

It happens, but so infrequently that it isn't worth mentioning.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:39 pm

Hannibal wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Barbie should have been autodinged for her TTT book. Truly atrocious.
I was read excerpts. It was clear it wasn't even edited.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:39 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:Maybe this is a topic for another thread, but in a battle between a white male and a white female, all other things constant in their application, does the female really get the advantage?
I doubt it.

On top of that, all other things are never constant. I mean even if the adcomms were forced to pick between two 3.5/170's with almost no softs, there is at the very least the PS to pick through which would be a heck of a lot more of a deciding factor than gender.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:40 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
Whether or not her book was horrible, it's still true that she got into UIUC while being below both medians, and non-URM.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:41 pm

Wait, what is everyone talking about? I wanna knowwww

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:45 pm

kazu wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
Whether or not her book was horrible, it's still true that she got into UIUC while being below both medians, and non-URM.
Would you like to make other true but nonresponsive relies to my post?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bookofcarpetsamples

New

Post by bookofcarpetsamples » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:47 pm

i was admitted to a school with a one point below median lsat (but still above 25th), and a well below 25th gpa. it happens, but i think everyone on here knows it's very, very rare.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:48 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Would you like to make other true but nonresponsive relies to my post?
Eh, that wasn't directed at you, I was just annoyed that OP kept ignoring a valid answer to his question.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:48 pm

bookofcarpetsamples wrote:i was admitted to a school with a one point below median lsat (but still above 25th), and a well below 25th gpa. it happens, but i think everyone on here knows it's very, very rare.
That's a pretty huge win. Which school. It could people applying.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:48 pm

kazu wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Would you like to make other true but nonresponsive relies to my post?
Eh, that wasn't directed at you, I was just annoyed that OP kept ignoring a valid answer to his question.
Gotcha. It's exactly what he was looking for but doesn't want to hear it for some odd reason.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”