Interview at UTexas Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AP-375

Bronze

Interview at UTexas

Post by AP-375 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:00 pm

Has anyone had any experience with this? Their website offers this description:
"The Law School has a limited interview program. Rather than being asked a series of questions by the interviewer and then being evaluated on the basis of your answers, you will be expected to make a 15-minute presentation and prepare a 15-minute writing sample. The interview is a chance for you to present compelling information about yourself, rather than an opportunity for “face time.”
Texas is my dream school, but I'm slightly below median index score, with TX residency and good softs.
Thoughts?

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Re: Interview at UTexas

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:06 pm

AP-375 wrote:Has anyone had any experience with this? Their website offers this description:
"The Law School has a limited interview program. Rather than being asked a series of questions by the interviewer and then being evaluated on the basis of your answers, you will be expected to make a 15-minute presentation and prepare a 15-minute writing sample. The interview is a chance for you to present compelling information about yourself, rather than an opportunity for “face time.”
Texas is my dream school, but I'm slightly below median index score, with TX residency and good softs.
Thoughts?
Are they "good softs" like leadership positions, or actual good softs? If they are absolutely amazing, I could see how the presentation may help. If it comes off as a waste of their time, then it will hurt you. Overall, I'd avoid it, since your good softs will be apparent if you prepared your app properly. The interview is more likely to hurt you than help you.

HowdyYall

Bronze

Post by HowdyYall » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:11 pm

god that interview sounds awful! Looks like a good sign that youre being strongly considered though. Good luck with it!

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:19 pm

HowdyYall wrote:god that interview sounds awful! Looks like a good sign that youre being strongly considered though. Good luck with it!
OP was not offered the opportunity to interview. It is available to all applicants and is detailed on the UT law website.

CMDantes

Bronze

Post by CMDantes » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:48 pm

The prelaw advisor at UT UG said that the interview typically wasn't worth it unless you had something exceptional to say that couldn't be conveyed in your application.

I was also under the impression that you had to apply for it and that very few people were given an interview.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:52 pm

CMDantes wrote:The prelaw advisor at UT UG said that the interview typically wasn't worth it unless you had something exceptional to say that couldn't be conveyed in your application.

I was also under the impression that you had to apply for it and that very few people were given an interview.
Yes, I should rephrase. The opportunity to apply is available to all applicants.

AP-375

Bronze

Post by AP-375 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:30 am

Is there anyone out there who has gone through this experience personally (or knows someone who did)?

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:39 am

AP-375 wrote:Is there anyone out there who has gone through this experience personally (or knows someone who did)?
One of my prelaw profs at UTSA talked about this. They knew of a student who had gone through the interview after being WL and was subsequently accepted. However, as I recall, this particular student was an exceptional speaker/interviewer and did have something substantial to present that wasn't particularly conveyed in his app.

My general impression, is that it isn't advisable to request an interview unless you're sure you will blow them away with what you have to say.

AP-375

Bronze

Post by AP-375 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:57 pm

Leira7905 wrote:One of my prelaw profs at UTSA talked about this. They knew of a student who had gone through the interview after being WL and was subsequently accepted. However, as I recall, this particular student was an exceptional speaker/interviewer and did have something substantial to present that wasn't particularly conveyed in his app.

My general impression, is that it isn't advisable to request an interview unless you're sure you will blow them away with what you have to say.
Thanks very much for the useful info. I'm torn on this. I'm wondering, if UT is a (statistically attainable) reach for me, why wouldn't I try for the interview? I'm pretty sure I could put together a solid presentation, and besides, what's the worst that can happen? They'll send me a meaner rejection letter? It just seems like the reward greatly outweighs the risk.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:09 pm

AP-375 wrote:
Leira7905 wrote:One of my prelaw profs at UTSA talked about this. They knew of a student who had gone through the interview after being WL and was subsequently accepted. However, as I recall, this particular student was an exceptional speaker/interviewer and did have something substantial to present that wasn't particularly conveyed in his app.

Thanks very much for the useful info. I'm torn on this. I'm wondering, if UT is a (statistically attainable) reach for me, why wouldn't I try for the interview? I'm pretty sure I could put together a solid presentation, and besides, what's the worst that can happen? They'll send me a meaner rejection letter? It just seems like the reward greatly outweighs the risk.
...if you're pretty sure you'll get rejected without the interview, then I guess it doesn't hurt to try, but I'd make sure I was VERY prepared and on my game...

AP-375

Bronze

Post by AP-375 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:25 pm

In case anyone is ever wondering about this topic, here is a follow-up: they really don't offer interviews. I called and the person I spoke with said they really don't allow people to request them, and if you have new or additional info, you can just submit it in an addendum, and if necessary they will schedule an interview. Bummer. Looks like my little app is on its own.

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:01 am

AP-375 wrote:In case anyone is ever wondering about this topic, here is a follow-up: they really don't offer interviews. I called and the person I spoke with said they really don't allow people to request them, and if you have new or additional info, you can just submit it in an addendum, and if necessary they will schedule an interview. Bummer. Looks like my little app is on its own.
Can't you ED next year?

Also, the standard for TX residents might be lower because, by law, 65% of their students have to be in-state, so you might not be below the in-state median, just below the overall median. According to the TLS profile, UVA, which has similar rules, has a 45% + acceptance rate for in-state residents. Does anyone know more about this?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”