Integrated Studies = Disadvantage?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
chicago5950

Integrated Studies = Disadvantage?

Postby chicago5950 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:29 am

Hey guys,

I have been in school 3 full semesters and have 84 credit hours at 3.53 gpa. I talked with my academic adviser yesterday and he said if I switched my major to Integrated Studies (basically means I did a lot of broad courses through many concentrations) that I could graduate this December (for a total of 2.5 years in college or 5 semesters). Since it would be an Integrated Studies degree the courses I would have to take would not be that difficult (300 level in any concentration I want) so I probably could get my gpa up to 3.6-3.7. However, my question is-- would I be at a disadvantage applying to law schools with a BIS degree even if my gpa was decent (3.6-3.7) and a decent lsat (havent taken yet)?

Thanks

AreJay711

Re: Integrated Studies = Disadvantage?

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:31 am

Probably not but you would have a more difficult time finding a job. It does make your applications look more like "I can't do anything with my degree so I'm going to law school" but any increase in you GPA would more than outweigh that.

chicago5950

Postby chicago5950 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:43 am

Yeah I know my job prospects are pretty much nil, but in all truth I just want to go to law school.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:02 am

I wouldn't switch from a BIS degree to an integrated studies degree unless it's a money issue. Not sure how many semesters you'd slice off with the switch, but a BIS degree looks a LOT more legitimate than integrated studies. I'd think law firms would be much more interested in you, particularly if you were able to contribute meaningfully around information security / privacy. But if you're going to save like, 20k by skipping a semester... that's definitely your call.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”