Safe to call law schools about effects of misconduct?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
niederbomb

Safe to call law schools about effects of misconduct?

Postby niederbomb » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:46 am

>
Last edited by niederbomb on Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

ahduth

Re: Safe to call law schools about effects of misconduct?

Postby ahduth » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:20 am

I'm not at all familiar with the various gradations of discharge status from the US military, but I think most applications only ask you to provide an addendum if the discharge was "dishonorable." That being said, it sounds like yours might have been involuntary, which might change things depending on how the app is worded. I'd call if the application doesn't make it clear whether or not you have to document it. Just don't mention the nature of the transgression (90% of the people who pick up the phone on the admissions lines are women - I can't see that conversation going over well).

If you do have to document it, the usual rules apply: say you were being an idiot, are really, truly contrite, have grown and matured as a person, etc. Hard to say if you should mention it was legal in that country, since you're technically under military jurisdiction over there (I think?). At any rate, with military experience, a very solid GPA and 170+ score, schools are probably going to need to find better reasons than this to ding you.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:29 am

I definitely think you need to read the applications carefully. Some apps ask if you have ever been fired which this might consist of unless it was more one of those deals where you "resigned".

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:49 am

Last edited by niederbomb on Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:59 am

niederbomb wrote:Stanford asks: "Have you ever been fired or dismissed from a professional organization?" Disclose or not?

Maybe I'll say on the phone that it was for drinking on duty (what I did had nothing to do with duty performance, so it can't possibly be worse, right?).

I had always read that to mean "professional" organizations like the AICPA or AMA. But maybe it's actually extremely broad. You can ask.

Also remember they'll caller ID, and if your application is unusual (as yours sounds like it will be)... I'd be careful about outright lying to them on the phone.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:59 am

niederbomb wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:I definitely think you need to read the applications carefully. Some apps ask if you have ever been fired which this might consist of unless it was more one of those deals where you "resigned".

This.

However, my discharge form (DD214) is the same as it would be for someone who was discharged involuntarily. The discharge code is for misconduct, as no code for resignation exists.

The paper chain for my voluntary resignation is actually in my sealed records. But it does exist.

Stanford asks: "Have you ever been fired or dismissed from a professional organization?" Disclose or not?

Quote:
Just don't mention the nature of the transgression (90% of the people who pick up the phone on the admissions lines are women - I can't see that conversation going over well)

Also, very, very good point. Maybe I'll say on the phone that it was for drinking on duty (what I did had nothing to do with duty performance, so it can't possibly be worse, right?).

Thanks a lot for the advice guys!

Read the apps carefully (I know Cornell for one ask about military service and what the nature of the discharge was). If in doubt, call the school and ask them. If still in any doubt, always side on disclosure to prevent later C&F problems.

I would ask what Stanford means by professional organization. Military is normally considered a profession (the profession of arms).

ETA: Missed the last part. DO NOT LIE. Not even on the phone. DO NOT LIE. When calling to ask, don't give any detail on the situation, just tell the truth that you were discharged from service under a general in lieu of a misconduct discharge, and ask if they need details about that on their application.

Last Edit: Just checked Cornell's app. They only need detail if it is Other than Honorable or less. A general should not require detail on that app.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:17 pm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”