Okay, I'm in, now I need a computer

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bk1

Re: Okay, I'm in, now I need a computer

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:42 pm

canuck wrote:It is a valid point. Macs simply work better than PCs and there is a premium charged for it (no, the extra cost is not for aesthetics).

This is not true at all. Macs work better than some PCs, no doubt, but not all. But that's like saying Sonys work better than some PCs. Or [insertbrandhere] works better than some PCs. There will always be bargain basement shitty knockoff PCs. That doesn't mean that Macs are uniformly better than all PCs.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:43 pm

Desert Fox wrote:No they don't work better. They are designed to be slightly simpler but the average law student is more than tech savvy enough to run a windows PC.

Also this.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:47 pm

canuck wrote:
kalvano wrote:
artichoke wrote:Why a PC? Macs work so much better...

Don't start with that bullshit. They don't at all, and OP specifically asked for a PC.

It is a valid point. Macs simply work better than PCs and there is a premium charged for it (no, the extra cost is not for aesthetics).

No, they don't "work better". Congrats for buying into the bullshit, though.

twert

Postby twert » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:49 pm

for what its worth, every "laptop meltdown during a final" story i've heard has involved a dell or an HP.

albanach

Postby albanach » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:50 pm

If you have the money, great. If you think you might need extra cash as a student, check with your school for the earliest date you can buy a computer and then have it added as a cost of living expense for reimbursement.

As others have said, a three year on site warranty is a good idea if this is going to be your day to day computer for classes.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:54 pm

twert wrote:for what its worth, every "laptop meltdown during a final" story i've heard has involved a dell or an HP.

Because Dell and HP make really low super cheap PCs. A lot of 400 dollar Dells running around.

Even then the error rate over three years is within a few percentage points.

albanach

Postby albanach » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:56 pm

twert wrote:for what its worth, every "laptop meltdown during a final" story i've heard has involved a dell or an HP computer from two of the largest manufacturers.

Fixed that for you.

Dell and HP together account for about 1/3 of computer sales. In Q1 of 2010, they sold about 27 million computers - ten times more than Apple. They also have a wide range of products - if you want something to last three years, it's worth looking to their business lines, rather than the cheaper home user stuff.

jkay

Postby jkay » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:00 pm

Just get a $500 Asus. I did, and it works great for everything law school related.

I will likely get a new one at the start of 3L year, and I will still have spent less than all the Steve Jobs fanboys.

Second, put everything on Dropbox or something similar. My worst case scenario: laptop shits the bed, I go to Best Buy and get a replacement for $400ish and am back up and running in about 45 minutes, with nothing important lost.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:01 pm

jkay wrote:Just get a $500 Asus. I did, and it works great for everything law school related.

I will likely get a new one at the start of 3L year, and I will still have spent less than all the Steve Jobs fanboys.

Second, put everything on Dropbox or something similar. My worst case scenario: laptop shits the bed, I go to Best Buy and get a replacement for $400ish and am back up and running in about 45 minutes, with nothing important lost.

TITCR.

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:03 pm

kalvano wrote:
canuck wrote:
kalvano wrote:
artichoke wrote:Why a PC? Macs work so much better...

Don't start with that bullshit. They don't at all, and OP specifically asked for a PC.

It is a valid point. Macs simply work better than PCs and there is a premium charged for it (no, the extra cost is not for aesthetics).

No, they don't "work better". Congrats for buying into the bullshit, though.

This. Mac's are overpriced. They are designed for people who have problems with simple things like keeping their PCs free of viruses. Also, you get to look cool and put the little apple sticker on things.

Consult the image below for a full rundown of a typical mac product and why it sucks:

--ImageRemoved--

Anyway, thanks for the replies guys. Sorry this degenerated into a thread about mac vs. pc but I can't say I'm surprised.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:05 pm

Saltqjibo

Postby Saltqjibo » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:39 pm

If you try maxing out the options on that 12 core mac pro you can almost get it to $25,000.

/fuel

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”