Applying in January

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Alex-Trof

Applying in January

Postby Alex-Trof » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:55 am

I just received my December score. Got 166/3.91. Thinking about applying to UCLA, USC, UVA, and maybe Northwestern. I am currently working my 3rd year out of undergrad. I have all the LOR's and essays ready, but I haven't submitted my application (was waiting for the score). I want to maximize my chances in those schools and I can wait a year if ED or early app can next year can significantly help my chances. So should I apply now or next year?

2011Law

Re: Applying in January

Postby 2011Law » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:03 am

you can ED to UVA at any time.

Alex-Trof

Postby Alex-Trof » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:15 am

Thanks,

Did not do my homework on that one. I am still not sure what to do though. From the info online I get a message that after New Year your chances are much worse. At the same time it looks like more and more people applying each cycle so my already not perfect numbers may be even less competitive next year.

Alex-Trof

Postby Alex-Trof » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:17 pm

Sorry for a shameless bump but I really need your help. The clock is ticking and I don't know whether submit or wait.

Zarathustraspoke

Postby Zarathustraspoke » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:26 pm

I think you can. To be honest I don't know if you have as a chance as someone who applied September/October but you do have a chance against most other applicants; mainly because these schools hold on to many decisions until more people have applied so that they can have a better perspective on the applicant pool. To be honest if I were in your position I would apply to those schools and probably even a few others...

I sent in almost all my apps already but am still considering applying to Northwestern, BU, and UCLA

Alex-Trof

Postby Alex-Trof » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:12 pm

Thanks,

Yeah, I am leaning towards submitting my application. However I am not sure because I feel that if I do I might end up regretting it if I get dinged. Are there any particular schools at lower T14-T20 which disadvantage students who apply in January less/more?

pinkedelweiss

Postby pinkedelweiss » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:17 pm

How would applying now matter, if you get denied just apply again next year. Unless of course you can't afford the application fees, and don't want to waste money on this year's, in that case I have no advice, I'm just about to apply now too and I am hoping my chances aren't significantly lower too :(

Alex-Trof

Postby Alex-Trof » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:22 pm

Thought of it too, but I think schools want to see something different on your application the second time to even consider it again. So basically I would have to retake the LSAT and hope for a much better score. A couple of points up will probably not make any difference.

pinkedelweiss

Postby pinkedelweiss » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:48 pm

Is that really true??? It seems unfair to me :( I was hoping of applying again next year with the same score if I don't get in this year, just to see if the difference in applicant pool will make me lucky...

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:02 pm

send it in. All you need to change on your application is your personal statement, and update your resume to show what you have been doing with your time. You can re use your LORS. Worst case scenario is you dont like how your cycle goes, and you are out some money. best case is you are in law school in the fall.

As long as your gpa and lsat are at their medians or above, you should not have to worry about it. No need to re take the LSAT unless you are not happy with your score.

minster

Postby minster » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:15 pm

when you say change personal statement.. do you mean a whole new one??
what if you feel like the ps you have right now is one of the best?

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:20 pm

you will want to edit your personal statement, or write another one. If its oneof your best, and there are other topics, write about them. IF not, then edit it some more and then re send it.

The school may keep your application on file. If you get dinged, you can always contact the admissions office in the spring and ask for some pointers about your application. If you can do this in person, great, but if not, doing it over the phone will not only help your application, but will reinforce to them your desire to go there. You can ask specific questions about your essay or applicaiton, and then make necessary changes.

Alex-Trof

Postby Alex-Trof » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:10 pm

I just read a few FAQ responses for various schools when it comes to reapplying and looks like many actually want different LORs. I wonder if you can submit the same ones again...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”