Duke or Cornell?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Zeile

Duke or Cornell?

Postby Zeile » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:44 am

What's the TLS consensus on what's the better school?

T6Hopeful

Re: Duke or Cornell?

Postby T6Hopeful » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:48 am

Here's a thread that took place in the What are my chances? forum:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=142032

Zeile

Postby Zeile » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:50 am

This is PERFECT! Thank a lot man!

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:53 am

Zeile wrote:This is PERFECT! Thank a lot man!

No problem! Those are two of the better schools I've gotten into so I had to start doing my research on them as well.

Zeile

Postby Zeile » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:56 am

T6Hopeful wrote:

No problem! Those are two of the better schools I've gotten into so I had to start doing my research on them as well.

Ha -- I just bumped that thread by asking how and why Duke's employment prospects are better than Cornell's. From what you've seen/researched, is the difference significant? Also, have you visited both yet? I'm in at Cornell but still waiting on Duke and haven't visited either yet. Also, any clue at all, as to which school would fair better in Philly?

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:59 am

Zeile wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:

Ha -- I just bumped that thread by asking how and why Duke's employment prospects are better than Cornell's. From what you've seen/researched, is the difference significant? Also, have you visited both yet? I'm in at Cornell but still waiting on Duke and haven't visited either yet. Also, any clue at all, as to which school would fair better in Philly?

To be completely honest, I'm not sure which school would fair better in Philly. From what I've heard around the boards, I've gotten the impression that Cornell, while a T14, feeds heavily into New York, while Duke is a little more portable (whether by self-selection or by placement I guess?). I'm visiting both at the admitted students' events in March, but I'm already leaning towards Duke. I like chilly weather, but I would prefer low and mid 40s in the winter to teens and 20s. Not to say I'm basing my entire decision on weather, but it's definitely a factor between these two specifically.

Zeile

Postby Zeile » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:02 am

T6Hopeful wrote:
Zeile wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:

To be completely honest, I'm not sure which school would fair better in Philly. From what I've heard around the boards, I've gotten the impression that Cornell, while a T14, feeds heavily into New York, while Duke is a little more portable (whether by self-selection or by placement I guess?). I'm visiting both at the admitted students' events in March, but I'm already leaning towards Duke. I like chilly weather, but I would prefer low and mid 40s in the winter to teens and 20s. Not to say I'm basing my entire decision on weather, but it's definitely a factor between these two specifically.

Find anything significant on job prospects? I actually dig the cold too, but Ithaca does sound insane in the winter, though I imagine that Durham gets gnarly in the summers.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:08 am

PM'ed you... didn't want to take up too much more space in this thread if we're the only two talking.

Zeile

Postby Zeile » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:31 pm

bump

LSATWIZ

Postby LSATWIZ » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:35 pm

The better question is really Northeast or Southeast? Where you would like to practice should be the basis of your decision when choosing between two such similarly ranked schools.

Zeile

Postby Zeile » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:41 pm

But is Duke really that much better for the NE than Cornell?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”