Realistic Chances of BigLaw from T14

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
upwardtrend

Realistic Chances of BigLaw from T14

Postby upwardtrend » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:32 pm

Based on school attended, what is your honest opinion of the chances an inbound student will land BigLaw 3 years from now...

HYS- ?? %

CCN- ?? %

MVPB- ?? %

DCNG- ??%

jwaters

Re: Realistic Chances of BigLaw from T14

Postby jwaters » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:42 pm

This is from 2008 and you have to take self-selection into account, but this will give you a rough idea: http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/20080414 ... trends.pdf

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:48 pm

upwardtrend wrote:Based on school attended, what is your honest opinion of the chances an inbound student will land BigLaw 3 years from now...

HYS- ?? %

CCN- ?? %

MVPB- ?? %

DCNG- ??%

Depends a ton on things like prior WE, personality, interviewing ability, looks, market choices, bidding/mailing strategy. If you do everything right and have all the right non-GPA assets then I'd say your chances are over 75%, even from lower T14.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:55 am

RVP11 wrote:
upwardtrend wrote:Based on school attended, what is your honest opinion of the chances an inbound student will land BigLaw 3 years from now...

HYS- ?? %

CCN- ?? %

MVPB- ?? %

DCNG- ??%

Depends a ton on things like prior WE, personality, interviewing ability, looks, market choices, bidding/mailing strategy. If you do everything right and have all the right non-GPA assets then I'd say your chances are over 75%, even from lower T14.

bingo.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:32 am

RVP11 wrote:

HYS- ?? %

CCN- ?? %

MVPB- ?? %

DCNG- ??%

Can we rank these on importance? I'll go:

1) looks
2) personality / interviewing ability (these sound like the same thing to me basically)
3) prior WE
4) market choices

and bidding/mailing strategy I felt was separate, as an antecedent to the interview itself.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:09 am

ahduth wrote:
RVP11 wrote:

HYS- ?? %

CCN- ?? %

MVPB- ?? %

DCNG- ??%

Can we rank these on importance? I'll go:

1) looks
2) personality / interviewing ability (these sound like the same thing to me basically)
3) prior WE
4) market choices

and bidding/mailing strategy I felt was separate, as an antecedent to the interview itself.

I know little about legal interviewing, but I can contribute insights from recruiting of undergraduates.

1) Prior WE
1) Grades
2) Interviewing ability
3) Looks

Without grades or prior work experience your ability to interview is a moot point. You need something to sell your interviewer, so without a good background you are screwed. To some extent one can make up for the other, but a complete lack of one can be highly detrimental (e.g. amazing grades with no real world experience). Looks are highly dependent on the interviewer as to how they influence him/her. Almost all serious job offers will come after multiple interviews with multiple interviewers, so this is unlikely to work in your favor across the board.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”