School List Input Appreciated!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
houstongirl

School List Input Appreciated!

Postby houstongirl » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:27 pm

I'm in the process of applying to more schools after my new lsat score. I have pretty good LORS, and a decent PS. I've got a 3.81 gpa, and 167 (Dec), 158 (Oct) lsat scores.

Schools I have already applied to:
1. Boston College
2. Baylor University (fee waiver)
3. University of Houston
4. Northwestern (fee waiver)

I'm thinking of applying to these schools as well:
1. University of Texas (I'm a Texas resident)
2. Boston University
3. Columbia (reach)
4. Cornell
5. Georgetown
6. USC
7. Berkley

I want to apply to a couple more schools, and am having a trouble narrowing it down. I would love to get some $$ as well, but i don't know how much me being late in my apps is going to affect that.

Also, do I need to submit an explanation for my score increase?

ams

Re: School List Input Appreciated!

Postby ams » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:58 pm

For $$ your best bet of the ones you listed that you haven't applied to yet is probably UT. I think it helps that you are a resident. If $$ is a big factor, I'd throw some more out to below the T-14. I think your chances of getting money in the T-14 are low. If I were you, I wouldn't really narrow it down any more, unless the application fees are going to pose a big problem. I'd get those apps out yesterday.

Yeah, you should write an addendum with that big a score difference. Congrats on that, by the way!

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:04 am

Are you a minority? If not Columbia is so much of a reach that I wouldn't bother applying. I think your chances at the lower T-14 would have been good if you had the same score from October but they have become reaches by now.

Apply:
UT
BU
USC

Maybe/Reach:
Cornell
Georgetown

Not this cycle:
Berkeley

Not really worth it at all:
Columbia

houstongirl

Postby houstongirl » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:06 am

I'm South Asian, but not URM. So I guess that doesn't help me at all :/

I don't mind application fees, at this point I'm trying to get into the best school I can. Waiting for fee waivers might take too long.

Any suggestions on more schools to apply to?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:11 am

Michigan might give you a shot, UCLA since you already have USC, BC if you like Boston.

Anecdotal, but I think being an ORM helps a bit (read really small bit) in comparison to just being majority.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”