Extracurriculars

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Helicio

Extracurriculars

Postby Helicio » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:24 pm

Would it be better to do a ton of extracurriculars, or to do a few substantive ones?

So far I've been doing the latter, but that means that I only have a few extracurriculars to put on my resume. I write for the school paper, write fiction in a fiction-writing workshop, am active in Amnesty International, and have had an internship with Congress. But that is ALL.

I feel like my friends have at least 30 different things to mark down on their resume. So...do I need more extracurriculars? Should I just focus on a few like I've been doing, but add one or two?

Or does nothing matter except for GPA and LSAT like some people say so much?

Thanks.

ams

Re: Extracurriculars

Postby ams » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:18 pm

You're doing it right! Remember--quality, not quantity. These sound like great things you're involved in, and might even lead you to an interesting personal statement topic. Plus, how are you going to fit 30 activities on a one-page resume anyway?

It's true that LSAT and GPA are by far the biggest factors in admissions. You don't want your GPA to slide because you were too busy with other activities.

Helicio

Re: Extracurriculars

Postby Helicio » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:21 pm

Thanks for the reply!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”