Just got my score. No law school? Yippee?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kpuc

Just got my score. No law school? Yippee?

Postby kpuc » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:45 pm

Just a quick background: I've been heavily debating with my parents about going to law school for months, if not years. They're the ones who've really wanted me to go, and I've been reluctant. In May, when I graduated, I acquiesced to them after some thinking. I spent the summer studying for the LSAT and took it in Oct. My score was a bit low considering my PTs, so I retook in Dec (in Korea).

I just got my score. It's a 168 (down from 170 in October). I PT'd at around 175. I saw my score, and just laughed.

I should've been disappointed, but a few days ago, I talked with my parents and we finally got to some understanding. Back in May, I had told my parents that I wanted to work and eventually go to business school because I wanted to go into film production. They were opposed because they had no idea what film production was, and wasn't sure what I'd be doing for the 3+ years before I'd apply to go to business school.

Well, since now I'm in Korea, I came up with the compromise of finding work at a Korean entertainment company while living at home, which would be better than me being in NYC or LA working in an industry that they know little about.

I said that law school could remain a possibility, but that was before my score came out. I don't know, it just feels like this is maybe a sign. Rather than being disappointed, I'm glad.

What do you think?

SilverE2

Re: Just got my score. No law school? Yippee?

Postby SilverE2 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:47 pm

I think if you wanted to be a lawyer you would be insane not to go with a 170.

However, because you don't want to be a lawyer, you would be insane to go with even a 180.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:49 pm

Sounds like you really don't want to go. Don't go.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:51 pm

You better go to law school. It's a huge decision that will affect the rest of your life but you wouldn't want to disappoint your parents.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:52 pm

While I am genuinely glad for you that you now know you don't want to go to law school, I am always filled with joy when I see anyone with a 170 or above retake and score lower. Warms my ample cockles right up.

Don't go. As the previous poster said, even a 180 does not make it worth it if you don't actually want to be a lawyer.

nicole1833

Postby nicole1833 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:52 pm

oh yeah, wow. 168 is super terrible. I am sure you wont get into any law schools at all. You'll never become a lawyer. Don't go.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:53 pm

Yeah, doesn't sound like you want to go to law school, so don't go. There are plenty of smart people out there who could annihilate the LSAT and would have no interest in practicing law. You sound like you are one of them.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”