Can Schools Tell If You've Taken LSAT PREP?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hendrix

Can Schools Tell If You've Taken LSAT PREP?

Postby hendrix » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:35 pm

I'm thinking this will be used against me. Is there any way they can find out if I lie about it?

Drake014

Re: Can Schools Tell If You've Taken LSAT PREP?

Postby Drake014 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:45 pm

hendrix wrote:I'm thinking this will be used against me. Is there any way they can find out if I lie about it?

After reading this thread, I approve.

NZA

Postby NZA » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:47 pm

Drake014 wrote:
hendrix wrote:I'm thinking this will be used against me. Is there any way they can find out if I lie about it?

:lol:

OP, when you take the LSAT, LSAC will ask you if you took an LSAT prep course. Some law school apps also ask for it.

What do you think is worse...lying on a document that you swear you've filled out faithfully and honestly?

Or taking the initiative to prepare for a test of extraordinary personal importance?

Hmm...

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:49 pm

NZA wrote:
Drake014 wrote:

:lol:

OP, when you take the LSAT, LSAC will ask you if you took an LSAT prep course. Some law school apps also ask for it.

What do you think is worse...lying on a document that you swear you've filled out faithfully and honestly?

Or taking the initiative to prepare for a test of extraordinary personal importance?

Hmm...

I agree: lying is totally the way to go on a law school application.

Clint Eastwood

Postby Clint Eastwood » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:49 pm

It really doesn't matter for most people if they take the LSAT prep. But for people that get high 160s and above, typically better scores, it tends to say they have less innate ability if they have taken courses, and that hurts applications.

Just keep that in mind when applying.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:50 pm

Ask your prep course if they offer an anonymous fee. Although it can be pricey, it will hide from law schools that you took a prep course which they see as a HUGE negative in the application process. It is definitely worth it.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:51 pm

Deuce wrote:Ask your prep course if they offer an anonymous fee. Although it can be pricey, it will hide from law schools that you took a prep course which they see as a HUGE negative in the application process. It is definitely worth it.

+1. I'm definitely doing this.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:54 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
Deuce wrote:Ask your prep course if they offer an anonymous fee. Although it can be pricey, it will hide from law schools that you took a prep course which they see as a HUGE negative in the application process. It is definitely worth it.

You should also lie about how many women you've slept with in your personal statement. If you're not sure how to lie about this, take the real number, add 1, and multiply by ten.

NZA

Postby NZA » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:55 pm

Drake014 wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:

You should also lie about how many women you've slept with in your personal statement. If you're not sure how to lie about this, take the real number, add 1, and multiply by ten.

(0 + 1) x 10 = 10

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:56 pm

NZA wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:

(0 + 1) x 10 = 10

Exactly. My original advice was to multiply by 10... but that probably wouldn't help OP. So, add 1.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:52 am

+1 to this advice. I paid extra for the testmaster anonymous course, and it was so worth it. Two schools I've been accepted to have already mentioned that part of the reason I was accepted is because I didn't take a course to get my score.

overunderachiever

Postby overunderachiever » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:05 am

SilverE2 wrote:

+1 to this advice. I paid extra for the testmaster anonymous course, and it was so worth it. Two schools I've been accepted to have already mentioned that part of the reason I was accepted is because I didn't take a course to get my score.

^I heard that that is a bigger boost than being a URM

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:06 am

What schools ask this question??

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:08 am

gbpackerbacker wrote:What schools ask this question??

Yale, I think.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:10 am

Don't listen to those trolls, OP.

Taking a course doesn't hurt your app THAT much. It just might be used as tiebreaker if you are borderline. It's sorta like having a criminal record, only slightly worse.

Relax.

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:12 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:What schools ask this question??

Yale, I think.

Anywhere else? I blanketed the t20 (minus Yale) and then some, and I don't remember seeing this anywhere.

hooma

Postby hooma » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:35 pm

I remembered having read this about Yale, which is probably out of reach, but I'm wondering how common it is? Should it deter you from taking a course?

JurisDoctorate

Postby JurisDoctorate » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:38 pm

Lol, y'all are trolling!

C'mon, there is NO WAY that they hold that against people...

Right?????!??!?!??!?

aspire2more

Postby aspire2more » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:43 pm

I applied to several T14 schools (not Yale) and not one of them asked if I had taken a test prep course. Do not lie on your applications! But if you're really that concerned about it, just apply to some schools that do not care one way or the other in addition to whichever ones would be asking you. I would say that you have a fairly large number of them to choose from.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:23 pm

the comments here are 180

the only difference between self studying and a prep course is someone else reads the directions in the books for you

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:25 pm

Kaplan is required to report your attendance to all schools. Don't lie about it. I'd even suggest you write an addendum about it.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:31 pm

I had a 174/3.96 and didn't get into my dream school (Yale) so I took the Kaplan prep course to try and improve my LSAT. I got a 180 on my retake and got rejected again, with a personal note from the Dean which I've scanned for your perusal:

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:33 pm

fatduck wrote:I had a 174/3.96 and didn't get into my dream school (Yale) so I took the Kaplan prep course to try and improve my LSAT. I got a 180 on my retake and got rejected again, with a personal note from the Dean which I've scanned for your perusal:

Clearly the dean rejected you because you chose Kaplan. Kaplan is the TTT of the prep companies.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:13 am

fatduck wrote:I had a 174/3.96 and didn't get into my dream school (Yale) so I took the Kaplan prep course to try and improve my LSAT. I got a 180 on my retake and got rejected again, with a personal note from the Dean which I've scanned for your perusal:

I loled.

seriously OP. nobody cares.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:42 pm

You should definitely lie about it, OP. All law schools know that anyone who needs to study for the LSAT is really dumb.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”