Urgent Addendum Help Needed! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PatientCreation

New

Urgent Addendum Help Needed!

Post by PatientCreation » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:12 pm

I have three criminal charges; two convictions; one dismissal
1 & 2) August 2008: Public Intox; Disorderly Conduct (Both simple misdemeanors in Iowa)
Plead guilty to the public intox and the disorderly conduct was dropped.

3) August 2009: Disorderly Household (Also a simple misdemeanor)
Convicted in September 2009
---Immediately searched for a sublet and moved out in December.
During this time I took the LSAT and subsequently scored a 150.
Just retook the December 2010 LSAT and scored a 166.

How should I go about creating an addendum for both of these discrepancies?
This is what I have so far:

On August 23, 2008, while walking home from a friend’s apartment, I encountered a classmate who I had previously had a disagreement with. After a verbal exchange we then exchanged a couple of swings at one-another. I was arrested and charged with public intoxication and disorderly conduct in Johnson County, Iowa. I plead guilty to the public intoxication, receiving a $135 fine, and the disorderly conduct was dismissed.

Spending a night in jail gave me true perspective on the repercussions of my actions. I had acted on impulse in an intoxicated state and deserved the punishment I was given. I have done my best to avoid any similar situations and have not been involved in such a dispute since this occurrence.

On August 20, 2009, I was written a citation for a disorderly household. Even though this was not my first criminal charge, it was my first disorderly household and was therefore a simple misdemeanor in the state of Iowa. I was found guilty and fined $135.

At the time I received the citation, I was living with four other males in a large apartment complex. I immediately began searching for a sublet and moved out as soon as one expressed interest. I accept responsibility for my actions, as I originally chose to live in the complex and signed the lease.

Thank you for any suggestions.

birdlaw117

Gold

Re: Urgent Addendum Help Needed!

Post by birdlaw117 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:40 am

Too much detail.

On August 23, 2008, I was arrested and charged with public intoxication and disorderly conduct in Johnson County, Iowa. I plead guilty to the public intoxication, receiving a $135 fine. The disorderly conduct charge was dismissed.

On August 20, 2009, I was written a citation for a disorderly household, a simple misdemeanor. I was found guilty and fined $135. I accepted responsibility for my actions and immediately sublet my apartment to avoid similar situations in the future.

Short and sweet. Definitely don't use the phrase "exchanged a couple of swings."

bbermud

Bronze

Post by bbermud » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:46 am

Can someone look at my LSAT addendum please? I can PM it to you if you'd like.

PatientCreation

New

Post by PatientCreation » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:59 am

birdlaw,
Thanks for your input. I appreciate you taking the time to look it over. Shorter is better then? So, should I include a short paragraph after the two explanations about how I look at those instances as mistakes which will not be repeated, etc.?

Also, do you have any suggestions on how I should include my LSAT score jump into my addendum? Or should I even discuss it at all?

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:07 am

PatientCreation wrote:birdlaw,
Thanks for your input. I appreciate you taking the time to look it over. Shorter is better then? So, should I include a short paragraph after the two explanations about how I look at those instances as mistakes which will not be repeated, etc.?

Also, do you have any suggestions on how I should include my LSAT score jump into my addendum? Or should I even discuss it at all?
Based on my discussion with a dean, yes they'd rather you include a paragraph expressing contrition. It's more a matter of making sure C&F doesn't have any concerns about the issue than anything else - they don't want to graduate someone, then have C&F sit there and grill them over some minor BS. That being said, they're both misdemeanors, so no big deal either way really.

I'd definitely write an LSAT addendum. Try and put a positive spin on - say you were much better organized and prepared the second time, and it went a lot better.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

2Serious4Numbers

Bronze

Post by 2Serious4Numbers » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:10 am

Way too long. Adcomms will prob not likeall the detail so I would cut it down

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:02 pm

ahduth wrote:
PatientCreation wrote:birdlaw,

Based on my discussion with a dean, yes they'd rather you include a paragraph expressing contrition. It's more a matter of making sure C&F doesn't have any concerns about the issue than anything else - they don't want to graduate someone, then have C&F sit there and grill them over some minor BS. That being said, they're both misdemeanors, so no big deal either way really.

I'd definitely write an LSAT addendum. Try and put a positive spin on - say you were much better organized and prepared the second time, and it went a lot better.
Definitely agree with the above. The one thing I would add is that make sure it is genuine. Adcomms will know when it is just some bogus "it really turned my life around and I am a much better person now" sort of explanation. If you write a bad one, it will hurt you more than if you don't write one.

PatientCreation

New

Post by PatientCreation » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:33 pm

Okay, so here is my latest Addendum.
I want to send out all of my applications by the end of this week... starting tonight.

PLEASE, any advice is helpful. I need to know how much I should actually tell...

Addendum

On August 23, 2008, I was arrested and charged with public intoxication and disorderly conduct in Johnson County, IA. I plead guilty to the public intoxication, receiving a $232 fine (including court costs). The disorderly conduct charge was dismissed.

While walking a friend home from a party, I encountered a classmate who had a previous dispute with me. I made bad judgments that night, first of all drinking, and second in allowing the situation to escalate far enough that I had to defend myself.

On August 20, 2009, I was written a citation for a disorderly household, a simple misdemeanor, in Johnson County, IA. I was found guilty and fined $147.75 (including court costs). I accepted responsibility for my actions and immediately sublet my apartment to avoid similar situations in the future.

I take my criminal record very seriously. By moving away from the situation, I have taken care to prevent any possible event from occurring again. I have been more careful in choosing those whom I befriend and with allowing myself to consume alcohol.

In September of 2009 I took the LSAT in Iowa City, IA. I had recently received a disorderly household and was looking for a sublet, as well as for a new job. Due to these factors, I left myself too exhausted and mentally unstable to adequately prepare for the LSAT.

As a result, I felt my score did not reflect my real potential. I moved and then adamantly pursued my studies. In December 2010, I took the LSAT again in Ankeny, IA and I feel that score better represents my abilities.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:56 pm

way.too.much.detail. Nobody needs to know you had a disagreement with this person - What if you have a disagreement with a fellow LS student ? or a professor ? OR THE DEAN? They might be scared you will punch them out.

Stick to the charge only. If you got a DUI you wouldn't disclose what type of liquor you were drinking, or how you just did a beer bong. Disclose truthfully without opening yourself up to judgement by the adcomm.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PatientCreation

New

Post by PatientCreation » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:00 pm

Sandro777 wrote:way.too.much.detail. Nobody needs to know you had a disagreement with this person - What if you have a disagreement with a fellow LS student ? or a professor ? OR THE DEAN? They might be scared you will punch them out.

Stick to the charge only. If you got a DUI you wouldn't disclose what type of liquor you were drinking, or how you just did a beer bong. Disclose truthfully without opening yourself up to judgement by the adcomm.

Okay, so if I just remove the second paragraph is that adequate? Should I revise the fourth paragraph as well? Do I need to provide adcomms with as much information as I did for my LSAT addendum?

PatientCreation

New

Post by PatientCreation » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:02 pm

Also, I changed it from "mentally unstable" to "mentally unequipped"

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:16 pm

yes on the first, your second part about the LSAT needs to be fixed. Do not say you were not prepared - theoretically you shouldn't prepare for the test. Gotta run though.

Perch

Silver

Post by Perch » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:53 pm

Last edited by Perch on Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PatientCreation

New

Post by PatientCreation » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:59 pm

Perch wrote:is it even necessary to include the amount of the fine? "paid a fine" wouldn't work?
Yes, some (most) law schools want full disclosure. That includes the amount of the fine and court costs.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:22 am

PatientCreation wrote:Addendum

On August 23, 2008, I was arrested and charged with public intoxication and disorderly conduct in Johnson County, IA. I plead guilty to the public intoxication, receiving a $232 fine (including court costs). The disorderly conduct charge was dismissed.

While walking a friend home from a party, I encountered a classmate who had a previous dispute with me. I made bad judgments that night, first of all drinking, and second in allowing the situation to escalate far enough that I had to defend myself.
On August 20, 2009, I was written a citation for a disorderly household, a simple misdemeanor, in Johnson County, IA. I was found guilty and fined $147.75 (including court costs). I accepted responsibility for my actions and immediately sublet my apartment to avoid similar situations in the future.

I take my criminal record very seriously. By moving away from the situation, I have taken care to prevent any possible event from occurring again. I have been more careful in choosing those whom I befriend and with allowing myself to consume alcohol.

In September of 2009 I took the LSAT in Iowa City, IA. I had recently received a disorderly household and was looking for a sublet, as well as for a new job. Due to these factors, I left myself too exhausted and mentally unstable to adequately prepare for the LSAT.

As a result, I felt my score did not reflect my real potential. I moved and then adamantly pursued my studies. In December 2010, I took the LSAT again in Ankeny, IA and I feel that score better represents my abilities.
These are minor offenses, you should just cite them and move on. I don't think the value of the court fees is necessary - I can't see why it would matter to C&F, they can look it up themselves if they care. Brevity is key here, you don't want them to spend half an hour reading about how you got in a fight with your roommate.

Perch

Silver

Post by Perch » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:28 am

PatientCreation wrote:
Perch wrote:is it even necessary to include the amount of the fine? "paid a fine" wouldn't work?
Yes, some (most) law schools want full disclosure. That includes the amount of the fine and court costs.
Last edited by Perch on Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:29 am

Perch wrote:
PatientCreation wrote:
can anyone else attest to this? I submitted without any numbers but said I paid a fine. Thanks.
The school should tell you specifically on the application.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:30 am

I enjoy these threads immensely. Just saying. :D Good luck, OP!

PatientCreation

New

Post by PatientCreation » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:16 pm

With assistance from people posting on this thread, I have revised my Addendum.
For those of you interested... or with further advice... here is my final draft:

Addendum

I take my criminal record very seriously. By moving away from the situation, I have taken action to prevent any future occurrences. I have been more careful in choosing those whom I befriend and also with allowing myself to consume alcohol.

In September of 2009 I took the LSAT in Iowa City, IA. This was in the midst of the disorderly household charge and proceedings, and as a result I do not feel this score accurately reflects my potential for law school. I retook the exam in December 2010 and I feel that score is a better indicator.

TLSanders

Bronze

Post by TLSanders » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:22 am

ahduth wrote:
PatientCreation wrote:Addendum

These are minor offenses, you should just cite them and move on. I don't think the value of the court fees is necessary - I can't see why it would matter to C&F, they can look it up themselves if they care. Brevity is key here, you don't want them to spend half an hour reading about how you got in a fight with your roommate.
This edit is great. I'd go with exactly what's left, except that I would include the specific amounts. Not only do some schools ask for specifics (and it's always better to err on the side of disclosure), but the petty amounts help drive home the fairly non-serious nature of the incidents.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”