WE question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
n_gal

WE question

Postby n_gal » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:30 pm

I've held a few summer jobs over the years (nothing related to LS) that I'm not sure if I should put on my applications. First, I don't really think they care that I worked in a restaurant for 2 summers but I also believe they would rather see that I worked than sat around lazily sunning myself, correct? Next, because I didn't make enough to pay income taxes I'm not sure if something would look funny (to be clear my employed DID pay all appropriate taxes on his end, at least to the best of my knowledge). So better to leave off or on? Thanks!

fundamentallybroken

Re: WE question

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:41 pm

The applications ask for all WE, I'd put on all WE.

As for the taxes thing, I don't think the schools actually look or even have access to tax records of applicants. Hell, I work in the government now, and gaining access to tax records requires a letter from the pope. As long as you don't have a tax lien messing up your FAFSA, I think you'll be okay.

n_gal

Postby n_gal » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:12 pm

thanks!

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:18 pm

Do many applications really ask for *all* WE, regardless of age? I have some jobs that will be almost 30 years in the past by the time I apply, and while I could probably piece together rough dates of employment and Google addresses for the employers that are still in business, there's no way I can come up supervisors' names or anything like that.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:55 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:Do many applications really ask for *all* WE, regardless of age? I have some jobs that will be almost 30 years in the past by the time I apply, and while I could probably piece together rough dates of employment and Google addresses for the employers that are still in business, there's no way I can come up supervisors' names or anything like that.

They all say WE within a certain time frame, 5 or 10 years or something like that. I'm in the same boat as you, and had way too many jobs to list on the app. I simply put "see resume" on many of my apps, and it hasn't held me back yet. I think an older applicant has an advantage in that some adcomm staff may see that and relate, thinking "well of course he/she can't put all WE on there..."

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:07 am

fundamentallybroken wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:Do many applications really ask for *all* WE, regardless of age? I have some jobs that will be almost 30 years in the past by the time I apply, and while I could probably piece together rough dates of employment and Google addresses for the employers that are still in business, there's no way I can come up supervisors' names or anything like that.

They all say WE within a certain time frame, 5 or 10 years or something like that. I'm in the same boat as you, and had way too many jobs to list on the app. I simply put "see resume" on many of my apps, and it hasn't held me back yet. I think an older applicant has an advantage in that some adcomm staff may see that and relate, thinking "well of course he/she can't put all WE on there..."

Cool, thanks. Even if the cutoff is 20 years, that still gets rid of all of my pre-Navy high school and college jobs. I'd feel funny as a grown, hairy-assed man listing my jobs at Domino's, Putt-Putt and Six Flags on a law school app.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:13 am

ScottRiqui wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:

Cool, thanks. Even if the cutoff is 20 years, that still gets rid of all of my pre-Navy high school and college jobs. I'd feel funny as a grown, hairy-assed man listing my jobs at Domino's, Putt-Putt and Six Flags on a law school app.

Yeah, I've found most LS apps are geared towards people just getting out of undergrad (or having spent only a year or two out). As a grown, hairy-assed man myself, I've found that you can tweak what info you put in there to suit you, and not be bothered by the questions some people on here are, like "OMG, I spent a summer delivering pizza for tips, but didn't pay taxes on some of them. Do you think the law schools are going to find out!?!"

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”