What Schools If Goal Is NYC?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
justadude55

What Schools If Goal Is NYC?

Postby justadude55 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:59 pm

This is not for me, but a former tutoring student who has a 4.0 (class rank = 1) and 157.

I know the response is retake, but the 157 is up from the mid-130s with private tutoring and a course (albeit little studying, but they're not the study a lot type despite the great performance in school -- just too much on their platter).

So I know the obvious schools, but any others that I should mention?
Last edited by justadude55 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glitter178

Re: What Schools If Goal Is NYC?

Postby glitter178 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:00 pm

justadude55 wrote:This is not for me, but a former tutoring student who has a 4.0 (class rank = 1) and 157.

I know the response is retake, but the 157 is up from the mid-130s with private tutoring and a course (albeit little studying, but they're not the study a lot type).

wait for it.....

RETAKE

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:01 pm

glitter178 wrote:
justadude55 wrote:This is not for me, but a former tutoring student who has a 4.0 (class rank = 1) and 157.

I know the response is retake, but the 157 is up from the mid-130s with private tutoring and a course (albeit little studying, but they're not the study a lot type).

wait for it.....

RETAKE

they're up from a 138. 157 might be a max out.

regardless, they want to start next year.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:03 pm

justadude55 wrote:they're up from a 138. 157 might be a max out.

regardless, they want to start next year.

It might be, it might not. You get 3 tries so why not at least take it? If they want to start school in 2012, there are still plenty of LSAT administrations and time to prepare for them. June 2011 is probably ideal with plenty of time to prep and still be able to get apps in early.

Assuming a 157/4.0, I would say try to get a full ride from a T2 school in NYC and get the scholarship stipulations removed.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:10 pm

so you'd rock the tier 3 over schools like brooklyn at sticker (those #s wont get a full ride to a 51-100)? are any tier 1s possible?

sorry they want fall 2011 no questions asked.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:15 pm

justadude55 wrote:so you'd rock the tier 3 over schools like brooklyn at sticker (those #s wont get a full ride to a 51-100)? are any tier 1s possible?

They are being dumb. Applying with bad numbers, late in the cycle, it's the same thing I did last year. If you can work through the bullheadedness, let them know that waiting really does have its benefits, especially considering that scholarship money is growing scarcer and scarcer.

No I would not take Brooklyn at sticker. Tell them to apply to the NYC schools and get the most amount of scholarship money possible. Had they applied early, best case scenario seems something like St. John's full ride if they can haggle for it.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:17 pm

bk1 wrote:
justadude55 wrote:so you'd rock the tier 3 over schools like brooklyn at sticker (those #s wont get a full ride to a 51-100)? are any tier 1s possible?

They are being dumb. Applying with bad numbers, late in the cycle, it's the same thing I did last year. If you can work through the bullheadedness, let them know that waiting really does have its benefits, especially considering that scholarship money is growing scarcer and scarcer.

No I would not take Brooklyn at sticker. Tell them to apply to the NYC schools and get the most amount of scholarship money possible. Had they applied early, best case scenario seems something like St. John's full ride if they can haggle for it.

Exactly. It's a pretty bone headed move. They are your acquaintance, so I suggest strongly encouraging them to postpone for a year and getting a job. 4.0/157 is a complete waste of a GPA and they won't get into anywhere worth going, assuming non-URM of course. They will be up to their eyeballs in debt they can't pay back.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:18 pm

How do you get a 4.0 and have a diagnostic in the 10-15th percentile?

krad

Postby krad » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:19 pm

RJ127 wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Exactly. It's a pretty bone headed move. They are your acquaintance, so I suggest strongly encouraging them to postpone for a year and getting a job. 4.0/157 is a complete waste of a GPA and they won't get into anywhere worth going, assuming non-URM of course. They will be up to their eyeballs in debt they can't pay back.

I'd give anything to be able to retake my GPA.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:20 pm

OGR3 wrote:How do you get a 4.0 and have a diagnostic in the 10-15th percentile?

This is very possible.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:22 pm

krad wrote:
RJ127 wrote:
bk1 wrote:

I'd give anything to be able to retake my GPA.

+1. But all those late nights at Maloney's, stumbling around north village, and undie runs were pretty worth it.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:28 pm

bk1 wrote:
OGR3 wrote:How do you get a 4.0 and have a diagnostic in the 10-15th percentile?

This is very possible.

Actually, it's really not. No valedictorian from an accredited college could get a mid-130 LSAT. That score's perilously close to random guessing.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:31 pm

they're not going to listen to me about the retake. when i brought it up, it was like i said, "hey, let's go jump off a bridge." it was the most upset and angered i ever saw the individual. they are ecstatic about the score, unfamiliar with this site obviously.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:34 pm

justadude55 wrote:they're not going to listen to me about the retake. when i brought it up, it was like i said, "hey, let's go jump off a bridge." it was the most upset and angered i ever saw the individual. they are ecstatic about the score, unfamiliar with this site obviously.

It's not about TLS, it's about the reality of employment prospects. TLS isn't snobby about schools/scores just for the hell of it.

It sucks for your friend that they feel like they just ran a marathon (going from 130's to 150's) and now have to go run another one (getting to the 160's), but that is the reality of the situation. The anger is normal, but hopefully they will come around. It took me a while - I was dead set on going to a T2 and transferring for a long time - but eventually I realized retaking was the credited response. Hopefully your friend eventually realizes the same.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:43 pm

staying on the scope of the question - what schools, pending no retake?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:44 pm

justadude55 wrote:staying on the scope of the question - what schools, pending no retake?

Going with my original answer of apply to Fordham on down and try and get the fattest scholly with the least stips that they can.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:46 pm

as far as 4.0's and 138's diagnostics, i'd say people who are good looking and surrounded by lesser students of lesser attractiveness.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”