International Transcript

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
EbonyEsq

International Transcript

Postby EbonyEsq » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:59 pm

Hey all,

I did a post-grad program overseas at an institution that is no way affiliated to the USA or Canada and wanted to know if I would perhaps be requred to send this to schools?

I noted that the LSAC website does not provide an option to add an internationally based graduate program as part of the transcript profile. Not sure if this might pose as a problem? If LSAC does not accept these type of transcripts, might law schools?

JenBunny

Re: International Transcript

Postby JenBunny » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:36 pm

LSAC and all law schools will require you to send all of your all of your transcripts in to them, including those from overseas institutions. If you fail to include all of your transcripts, it can have some pretty serious negative ramifications.

I completed both my undergrad and a graduate degree overseas, so when entering my information for the CAS instead of listing them under the undergraduate/graduate/other, they are under the international institutions category. It's definitely there on the site as there are lots of us from overseas!

Best of luck!

EbonyEsq

Postby EbonyEsq » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:32 pm

JenBunny wrote:LSAC and all law schools will require you to send all of your all of your transcripts in to them, including those from overseas institutions. If you fail to include all of your transcripts, it can have some pretty serious negative ramifications.

I completed both my undergrad and a graduate degree overseas, so when entering my information for the CAS instead of listing them under the undergraduate/graduate/other, they are under the international institutions category. It's definitely there on the site as there are lots of us from overseas!

Best of luck!

Interesting. It reads that with those holding Bachelor's degrees from US institutes you do not have to send international transcripts if:

Do not have a transcript sent from an international institution if your bachelor's degree is from a US, US territory, or Canadian school, AND:

the total amount of work you completed at all international institutions combined is equal to or less than the equivalent of one year of undergraduate study in the United States, its territories, or Canada, OR

your work was completed through an overseas study program that was clearly sponsored by a US, US territory, or Canadian school.

They also state:

You must have international transcripts, academic records, mark sheets, and degree certifications sent if:

you are applying to a law school that requires the authentication and evaluation feature of the Credential Assembly Service (CAS); and

you received your bachelor's degree from an institution outside of the United States, its territories, or Canada; or

you were directly enrolled at such an institution outside the US, its territories, or Canada, and the total amount of work you completed at all of these institutions combined is the equivalent of more than one year of undergraduate study in the United States, its territories, or Canada.

I've received my undergrad degree in the US and enrolled in an overseas program that required me to complete 33 credits. It was a one-year program where I was issued a degree with grades. According to the above, I do not have to send it in because it was not more than a year's worth of course work. Then again, what exactly is equivalent to a year worth of undergraduate study in the US ?

JenBunny

Postby JenBunny » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:16 pm

I think the section you quoted above applies to whether or not you need to have a JD Foreign CAS evaluation. Even if you do not need to have an evaluation done (which it seems you may not since your Bachelors degree is from the US), law schools will still require that you send them ALL of your transcripts--from any institution that you attended (regardless of how long you attended--even if you did not graduate from there, for example). And many (if not most) law schools require you to apply through the CAS, so you would have to have your transcripts sent to LSAC anyways.

Taken from Georgetown's website, for example:

All applicants must register with Credential Assembly Service (CAS) at the LSAC address given below. A transcript from each college or university attended must then be sent directly to CAS, not to Georgetown Law.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”